Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
It's so warm... ;~)
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you ever read those pocket-sized health magazines, you'll know there are lots of brands of body shampoo / hair shampoo on the shelves that may contribute to cancers. If my memory serves me right, it's those ingredients that give fragrance to the shampoos.

Anyone here opted not to use shampoo at all? Or probably go for something natural?

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
I've stopped using it too, because I heard that it strips your hair of the natural oils that it needs to keep healthy, and also because I don't like the way my hair looks after shampooing. I never heard about it causing cancer though.

·
Banned
360 Posts
Sometimes. As soon as I get a blender, I'm gonna be making my own shampoo from a variety of ingredients, depending on what I'll have in the fridge...

So far, I've noticed that if I use a certain shampoo for more than a couple of times, it affects my hair and scalp negatively so I have to change to either another brand or natural for a while (been using egg and lemon juice), then I go back to shampooing.

Not all shampoos have to be with aromas, baby products tend to be the "safest" in that respect.

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
I tried washing my hair with a variety of strange substances for a while... Including clay, baking soda, vinegar, rice flour, soap nuts... In the end I always went back to shampoo because it's cheap/quick. But I think no-poo is the way to go. I'm just too lazy to do it properly.

·
Cheese.
659 Posts
I have been shampoo free since October. Definitely strips your hair of its natural oils. I do, however, use conditioner to wash my scalp.

929 Posts
Seeing as how practically EVERYTHING may give you cancer these days, it seems overly paranoid to stop using shampoo for that reason.
Just don't use it everyday people and you'll be fine. I find as long as I don't use it daily my hair doesn't dry out much.

·
Banned
12,147 Posts
I don't use it because I shave my head bald every 2-3 days. I can't use shampoo for the same reason I shave my head. If I let my hair grow or use shampoo, my scalp itches and flakes like crazy (and yes. I've tried dandruff shampoo). I have to stay bald or I itch.

I do use lotions and shaving creams on my head that probably have many of the same ingredients.

I kind of doubt the cancer connection. Or at least, I doubt it hurts you much more than simply breathing or drinking unfiltered water.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I shaved my head about a month and a half ago. Two weeks before I did it I stopped using shampoo/conditioner/styling products and just sorta scrubbed my head with water. My hair looked so nice, shiny and volume-ish (ok, I know not a word) that it was almost a shame to shave it off. My hair now is super soft and my scalp is not oily in the slightest. It's a shame so many of us have bought into the cycle of hair care products. Shampoo dry's your hair out terribly and strips it. Well now you need conditioner to smooth torn cuticles, restore luster and softness. And now that your hair is a wee bit stressed it's also unmanageable and also needs styling products. Personally it's a bit embarrassing I bought into the whole thing for so long.

·
Registered
5,120 Posts
I shampoo every 2-3 days and I'm currently using an SLS-free shampoo, not because I'm afraid it causes cancer, but because I thought it might be irritating my skin. I've tried baking soda but that seemed too drying.

·
Still playing.
7,256 Posts
My hair has been really dry lately, so I'm going to try just washing it with water. It usually gets too greasy, but I'll have another go.

·
Reluctant SAS Member
418 Posts
No way. My hair is way too long to go without shampoo. Besides, it has plenty of natural oils with or without a daily shampooing.

·
Imaginary
67 Posts
I didn't use normalhair shampoo or conditioner for four years. I had dreadlocks and normalhair conditioners tend to make dreads frizzy/undreaded. (It's an ignorant myth that you can't wash dreads). I washed my hair just with water. At first your hair gets greasy because your scalp is used to producing extra oil that the shampoo strips away, but then my hair adjusted and was not oily nor dry.

·
Registered
900 Posts
I shaved my head about a month and a half ago. Two weeks before I did it I stopped using shampoo/conditioner/styling products and just sorta scrubbed my head with water. My hair looked so nice, shiny and volume-ish (ok, I know not a word) that it was almost a shame to shave it off. My hair now is super soft and my scalp is not oily in the slightest. It's a shame so many of us have bought into the cycle of hair care products. Shampoo dry's your hair out terribly and strips it. Well now you need conditioner to smooth torn cuticles, restore luster and softness. And now that your hair is a wee bit stressed it's also unmanageable and also needs styling products. Personally it's a bit embarrassing I bought into the whole thing for so long.
Doesn't your hair start to smell really bad?

·
Registered
7,836 Posts
I have not used shampoo in over a year not and my hair has not been better

·
Permanently bored
2,813 Posts
Shampoo tends to make my hair feel greasy unless I use it 3-4 times a day. Now I just use water (and any stray shower gel that gets on my head) and there's no problem at all. Once the oils build up to a certain point (which shampoo prevents, as it washes them away), your hair starts feeling soft instead of greasy. Obviously you have to wash your hair/scalp more thoroughly with just water if you don't want to smell disgusting, though.

·
Registered
333 Posts
My hair is thick and gets very oily... So have to wash it at least every second day. Sometimes I try to leave it around 4 days a time.. Just to let it replenish. I also drown it in condition and leave it overnight.

I'm using L'oreal. Bad I know. Animal testing and everything. My boyfriends mum used to work for them, and has worked in countless salons so she has a HUGE supply of expensive shampoos. I get them for free in other words.

Their products are great but I wouldn't be using them if I had to pay.

·
lonely...
20 Posts
I only use dandruff shampoo a couple of times a week, other than that I never use it because I hate the way it makes my hair look and my hair doesn't get greasy anyway.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts