Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cause for me it seems like I would be pretty ok going out in the world more if i wasnt worrying about running into ppl that i know or that i know know me. Cause I wouldnt know what to say and just get all flustered nervous and freak out. I sometimes feel like i want to just get away and move to another state and start over where noone i know is around cause i think i would be pretty ok then for most part but still have problems with other aspects of SA.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I always feel this way and I do wish to move and start over so that when i come back to my home town, I will be a different person. I wish to prove people who doubted me wrong!! And I will!!

·
Registered
34 Posts
I worry about this too. A lot. It might be better if I was employed because what I hate most is the "so what have you been up to?" question and I don't really have anything to say. Or the things I really want to say would just make for awkward conversation. "Oh, you know.. sitting around my room doing nothing but watching my student loan interest accumulate and trying to find the motivation to put food in my mouth."

·
SAS Member
31,286 Posts
A good way to deal with this is to keep it short and sweet. After the greeting and maybe a question or two, say that you have to get going and it was nice seeing you again.

·
Registered
4 Posts
i feel like that too. i have turned almost into a complete recluse these last few months. afraid to see someone i know.

the dreaded questions of:
where do you work? :eek:
where did you go to college? :eek:

·
Registered
13 Posts
i have the same worry. especially if it's someone i've not seen in a long while. i won't have anything new and exciting to share. to them i'll be the same old reserved person with nothing going on; that's my fear. when i run into people i work with, it's awkward but has not been all that bad.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Oh yes that has the be the most awkward situation ever to me, especially if they went to my hs or were in my class.

·
wtf
419 Posts
My biggest worry is seeing former high school classmates. I have this reputation with them and if I behave counter to this "reputation" I've created, I might shock them. I don't like the reaction I get when I suprise people like that. People respond by saying, "I never knew you had it in you" like I'm supposed to be a quiet and reserved person all my life.

Another thing is I'm afraid they're going to ask me about my dating or career life (or lack there of). I really don't want to get to know any of them and make up for lost time and I really don't want to tell them about my struggles or what I'm up to these days. I don't dislike anyone from high school- I can honestly say no one was openly mean to me about my SA and some were actually very nice- but I don't feel like I can relate to them and anyhow it doesn't matter because they're basically strangers to me.

I figure if I absolutely HAVE to see someone, I'll remain calm and ask a lot of questions to take the attention off of me. That's all I can do.

·
Little Winged One
6,445 Posts
It really depends on how calm I'm feeling - somedays I'm okay with it. Others days I employ my dodge and hide technique!!!

·
Registered
207 Posts
I can't stand it. I know no one in my school after 3 + years. I wish I could start over again. I just don't know what I am doing with my life. phhhhhhhhhhhh....

·
The Phoenix
381 Posts
There was one girl I was always terrified of seeing, I had a crush on her at one point and shakily told her I liked her. Afterwords contact ceased. And I ran into her today. Twice. The second times to satisfy my curiosity I looked into her eyes, (big deal for me given my eye contact phobia). I saw no sorrow, no regret, no remorse, and no compassion for what she had done. I saw nothing, it was as if I had been a complete stranger the whole time. At the end of that I was kicking myself for ever have being attracted to her. What did I ever see in someone as callous as that?

·
Registered
87 Posts
This is one of my biggest fears. I've crossed streets and hid in stores when I've seen someone I know up ahead. If we make eye contact first them I'm busted and almost forced to deal with it - them. The other day while shopping, I saw a co-workers vehicle in the parking lot outside the mall. I stopped cold in my tracks and contimplated just leaving. I thought that was pretty excessive so went in anyway. The whole time I was in there I was on mass alert for this person, sneaking peeks up aisles before proceeding, peeking around corners etc. My heart was racing so bad, if I did run into them I'd probably go running out the door like a complete lunatic. Next time I'll just leave.

·
Registered
78 Posts
There was one girl I was always terrified of seeing, I had a crush on her at one point and shakily told her I liked her. Afterwords contact ceased. And I ran into her today. Twice. The second times to satisfy my curiosity I looked into her eyes, (big deal for me given my eye contact phobia). I saw no sorrow, no regret, no remorse, and no compassion for what she had done. I saw nothing, it was as if I had been a complete stranger the whole time. At the end of that I was kicking myself for ever have being attracted to her. What did I ever see in someone as callous as that?
x2.

I had a very similar story like this as well. Girls are very evil :(

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yea I have this problem too whats up with that? I HATE seeing people I know in stores cause then I'll probably just leave and hope they don't see me. And my heart will be racing even though I know them...

·
Registered
155 Posts
yeah i'm like this, there are certain places i try and avoid because of the chances of me bumping into someone i know. I just dont have much to say and i worry that they'll sense that i've changed alot. So to avoid all awkwardness i just feel the need to move and make a fresh start.

·
Registered
154,233 Posts
I would just fear the part where I would have to give an update on how I am doing. :(

1 - 20 of 66 Posts