Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to get a job in the health care field and I am willing to go to school to do it, probably just an associate degree. If you are in the field, what do you do and how does your anxiety work into it? I can't figure out what program I should sign up for. I don't think I could be a nurse even though thats where the money is.

Bottom line, what is the best job in the health care field for social anxiety people?

I guess if you got more info please let me know, hopefully I can get some info because I want to sign up for the Fall semester.

Thanks in advance..

·
Banned
3,667 Posts
After years of being in the technology industry, I'm pursuing education in Social Work and Public Health. I'm not sure exactly what I'll be doing when I'm done with my MSW/MPH, but it'll definitely be focused on mental health.

This is a good list of fast growing health care jobs, many of them require only associates degrees:
No. 1: Home Health Aides
No. 2: Network systems and data communications analysts
No. 3: Medical assistants
No. 4: Physician assistants
No. 6: Physical Therapist Assistants
No. 7: Dental hygienists
No. 9: Dental assistants
No. 10: Personal and home care aides
No. 13: Physical therapists
No. 14: Forensic science technicians
No. 15: Veterinary technologists and technicians
No. 16: Diagnostic medical sonographers
No. 17: Physical therapist aides
No. 18: Occupational therapist assistants
No. 19: Medical scientists, except epidemiologists
No. 20: Occupational therapists
No. 22: Cardiovascular technologists and technicians
No. 27: Biomedical engineers

More info: http://www.forbes.com/2007/03/09/jo...s_cx_hc_0309jobs_slide_2.html?thisSpeed=15000
Good luck on your hunt!

·
Banned
577 Posts
I might go to school to become an RN. I mean yeah the being a guy nurse thing's kind've embarrassing, but i'm not gonna turn down a $200 an hour opportunity.

·
Banned
19,437 Posts
I might go to school to become an RN. I mean yeah the being a guy nurse thing's kind've embarrassing, but i'm not gonna turn down a $200 an hour opportunity.
I am also considering this. I'm worried that my being on paxil might pose a problem when it comes to entry. We shall see...

ETA- Whoa, I've never heard of a nurse being payed $200 per hr! You meant 20 right?

·
Banned
19,437 Posts

·
Cool story, bro!
986 Posts
Well, I've worked as an Operating Room technician (just helpin doc's with surgery) and Sterile Processing tech. The money was really good but it's really stressful and involved a lot of communication and teamwork which is really not my best attribute. So I quit and haven't had a job since.

Health care is where it's at though. My first month out of the Army I applied to like 4 or 5 hospitals and they all got back in touch with me about an interview. Even now I've had hospitals calling me but I'm too nervous to go in.

I got trained in the Army but there are programs out there doing what I did and I think they're like 10 months to a year long (the army only trains you for 19 weeks haha). You're pretty much guaranteed to make 16-17 dollars starting out and it works up to mid 20's.

That was more money then I knew what to do with so I just saved alot so it's what I've been living off of for the past year lol

·
Registered
10,466 Posts
I am also considering this. I'm worried that my being on paxil might pose a problem when it comes to entry. We shall see...

ETA- Whoa, I've never heard of a nurse being payed $200 per hr! You meant 20 right?
My mother has been a Nurse since 1980 and she was on Xanax when she went back to school in the early 1990's to get her RN. There was no problems. I never heard a Nurse making that much, but they can make good money. My brother is making a little over $35 per hour as a Nurse in the Air Force plus he gets his housing for nothing and groceries.

·
Banned
19,437 Posts
My mother has been a Nurse since 1980 and she was on Xanax when she went back to school in the early 1990's to get her RN. There was no problems. I never heard a Nurse making that much, but they can make good money. My brother is making a little over $35 per hour as a Nurse in the Air Force plus he gets his housing for nothing and groceries.
Thanks, that's good to know!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts