Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm an introvert so I don't even like the thought of having alot of people around me. One or two meaningful relationships would be cool.

Is there anyone one here that is extroverted and really outgoing? If so how do you get your voice out there?

·
Banned
229 Posts
I'm an introvert so I don't even like the thought of having alot of people around me. One or two meaningful relationships would be cool.

Is there anyone one here that is extroverted and really outgoing? If so how do you get your voice out there?
Is that even possible? To be an extrovert and have social anxiety? My answer is no.

·
Out there...
5,124 Posts
Is that even possible? To be an extrovert and have social anxiety? My answer is no.
Yes. It's definitely possible. Extroverts get their energy from socializing and talking to people. But they can still be too afraid of doing so for the same fears/reasons that the remaining % of SA-ers have. They're just in the minority.

·
Banned
229 Posts
Yes. It's definitely possible. Extroverts get their energy from socializing and talking to people. But they can still be too afraid of doing so for the same fears/reasons that the remaining % of SA-ers have. They're just in the minority.
Yeah, I can understand that now. Makes sense. In the minority for sure.

·
Banned
228 Posts
I'm pretty sure I am an extroverted person who acquired SA. Before my SA I was so outgoing that I was barely ever in the house.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Whenever I do go into social situations I feel pretty good and mostly people seem to like me so I guess I'm kind of an extrovert

·
(/・・)ノ 
1,840 Posts
I would kill to talk to people, but I'm afraid and difficult to approach. As you keep fighting SA, you'll notice yourself becoming more extroverted. It takes a lot of fighting to get to that point though.

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
I definitely used to be a really social kid, and depending on the people around me I'll feel no anxiety whatsoever. There's just certain situations where I feel absolutely nervous, such as being around an attractive person or trying to ask a guy out lol. It gets to the point where I avoid all eye contact and try to ignore them, which makes them feel awkward or hurt sometimes...

There are days though where I just don't feel like talking so it'll literally be a group conversation and I won't have much to contribute at all. People will be like "What's wrong?"

To be honest, speaking up and facing your fears is how you become more outgoing. People like that are ones who speak their minds/say what they're feeling. Just be honest and don't hold back. Sounds easier said than done but that's what I do and it helps immensely.

·
Registered
43 Posts
The book 'Quiet ...(yadda yadda)' by Susan Cain helped me a lot in understanding extroverts. Basically it says they get recharged from being around people, and introverts recharge alone.

I'm def an introvert, I'm ok with like no interaction other than maybe online for a week. I think an extrovert might do that but not Like it... like they Want to be out socializing but can't because of SA. I'm glad I don't feel like I Need to socialize that much. I've felt that way a few times in my life and it's a bad feeling, like wanderlust. I like wanting to stay in, I just feel SA sucks when it comes to necessary junk like anything job-related or the initial relationship stuff and less possibilities due to not wanting to 'network' with others (bleh).

·
Greenmail
4,205 Posts
I am an extrovert with SA and severe depression. So basically SA and depression and other anxiety problems have withered it away. I have always had really bad problems with maintaining relationships though.

Perhaps by extroverted I mean I can be like an extrovert in select situations, namely those which involve no pressure, strangers etc. I can talk every loudly when doing speeches , although I do get anxious during them. I have a natural loud voice and I dont get quiet unless I get really really anxious.

Talking to people makes me happy but I am very afraid of actually trying to make friends or talk to people more than once or twice. Once someone is no longer a stranger I close up and eventually I cant hold the charade any longer. I pretty much put on an automatic lying front where I act happy and confident. And I feel that way. Then later the illusion is shattered and I am again nothing.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
IDK I am both? I love spending time with people, but I overanalyse it and doubt myself so I tend not to reach out to people or initiate contact but I am always greatful when they do. I don't like HUGE groups of people but I do like people, when I am "in the zone" I am called things like Party Girl etc.

That said most of the time fear cripples me from reaching out and I am not actually GOOD at talking to people its lack of social skills/ me stressing out that hampers my social life. I'm just lucky I know a lot of people willing to push through that.

That said, I can't handle super social stuff constantly I also need a break and need "down time" to be completely alone as well.

I'm neither full extro of full intro...I'm a combination of the two. And flip back and forth. I'm smack dab in the middle of the spectrum I think.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts