177,223 Posts
If you mean Portland, Oregon than yes.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you mean Portland, Oregon than yes.
Hi

How is it there? I really want to move there and start a new. Considering pearl loft area. They say Portland is a clean city, along w/ the best MTR ! =)

Pretty diverse?

·
Banned
177,223 Posts
Hey, I don't actually live in Portland but just over he hill in Beaverton but was raised in Portland most of my life.

It's fairly nice here, lots of trees, mountains, rivers, lakes, the ocean is an hour drive away. There is a lot of stuff to do here if you get out of the house and do it. :)

Pearl loft? I know of the Pearl District.

Yes Portland is a clean city, well all except for the Willamette River, but that's one of the few acceptions.

MTR??? I don't know that abbreviation.

Maybe not as much so as some bigger cities but yes I'd say we're fairly diverse here.

Have you googled Portland? You should be able to find out quiet a bit that way.

Where do you live now that you want to move away from?

Do you already know people here?

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey, I don't actually live in Portland but just over he hill in Beaverton but was raised in Portland most of my life.

It's fairly nice here, lots of trees, mountains, rivers, lakes, the ocean is an hour drive away. There is a lot of stuff to do here if you get out of the house and do it. :)

Pearl loft? I know of the Pearl District.

Yes Portland is a clean city, well all except for the Willamette River, but that's one of the few acceptions.

MTR??? I don't know that abbreviation.

Maybe not as much so as some bigger cities but yes I'd say we're fairly diverse here.

Have you googled Portland? You should be able to find out quiet a bit that way.

Where do you live now that you want to move away from?

Do you already know people here?
Sorry, I meant Pearl District and I wanted to buy a loft there.
Their mass transit is one of the best I believe. I have googled and read things here and there, but I guess nothing compares to actually trying it out or taking a trip.

Life is so short, and I don't want to be stuck living in 1 place forever.

I know 'NO ONE' and right now I am most concerned about making a living. That's the biggest challenge, being alone, having SAD and what not.

I would probably have to spend 6 months - 1 year to even get use to things?

I dunno it's something that I really want to do. I am nearing 30.

·
Banned
177,223 Posts
Sorry, I meant Pearl District and I wanted to buy a loft there.
Their mass transit is one of the best I believe. I have googled and read things here and there, but I guess nothing compares to actually trying it out or taking a trip.

Life is so short, and I don't want to be stuck living in 1 place forever.

I know 'NO ONE' and right now I am most concerned about making a living. That's the biggest challenge, being alone, having SAD and what not.

I would probably have to spend 6 months - 1 year to even get use to things?

I dunno it's something that I really want to do. I am nearing 30.
What do you do for a living now?

Portland is pretty well layed out it shouldn't take long to get use to I'd think.

That's quite the step for someone with SA, what makes you want to leave where ever you live now?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I moved to portland a couple years ago, knowing nobody and with no job. Really, I have made little progress on both accounts. I've been coasting off the novelty of being in a new place to keep me occupied, but that's wearing thin. It's a great city though, really nicely laid out. The transit is pretty good, if not great, but it's easily the most bike friendly big city in America. It's almost shocking at first to see so many bikes. The Pearl is a nice area, if a bit pricey. I live on the inner-eastside, which has a different vibe that some prefer (less urban and yuppie, though changing a bit on the latter). The Northwest district is a nice compromise between the two, plus it's within walking distance to Forest Park, an genuine forest that can make you feel far from the city. There are many other great things about this area. One of my favorites is the surrounding landscape. Volcanoes, oceans, rainforest, deserts, waterfalls, unique geographical features, etc. all within a days driving distance, usually less.

The biggest problem with Portland is the economy. I'd be screwed any where in these terms because of my SA, but it seems we've been hit bad. Doesn't mean you won't find a job, but in general, it's tougher here. If you are thinking of buying a loft, you must have some basis for that in the form of a down payment, so I don't know.

any other questions, feel free to ask.

also, make sure you can handle the weather. Frankly, i think it's awesome. It's way sunnier than some people make it out to be, but compared to the south I'm sure it's pretty gloomy (I'm originally from the northeast).

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks both of you.

I just want to own a loft, and experience a cooler weather. I do know the economy is really bad, and portland itself just seems like a place where I can enjoy myself.

I love diversity !!

I have SA, but the worst thing about it are the sweating effects i get. But once I'm comfortable, I open up. Though I am more shy than usual.

Currently I'm at a bank, in a department..

I'm just wondering how in the world am I gonna start and give my life a chance there. I know it'll be very tough, but who knows... That's why I've been trying to plan things, and see how things go.

I could always have a 'loft' in my home right? The thing that concerns me is the commute. Though I love the city, I don't wanna live in too much of a crowded area, nor too far away from things.

Thanks.

·
Registered
867 Posts
i live in portland for 25 years, transit is alright some of the bus lines can get rowdy at times which i don't mind makes life more interesting as long as they leave me alone. Portland also has a nice 25+ mile bike trail called spring water corridor which i live right next too where i can just have a nice enjoyable ride in fact ill probably ride it today.
You can also get on the trail from downtown.
The weather sometimes get too cold in winter for me for like a week or 2, and too hot in the summer for like 1 week but other than that its pretty decent.

I think the job market is lousy though im unemployed and even though im not really looking for work at the moment cause of sa, my bro is and he is having a tough time. alot of people with signs asking for money now too.

The Hawthorne district is a fairly cool place to walk around if u don't fear crowds too much. NE portland is bad area though.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I really like Oregon. So much to do that doesn't cost alot.
Rains alot in the winter,I like to the sun to much to stay here forever.
And almost all my family has moved out of state.

Also I would rent before buying when moving to a new area,that way you can leave town or move to another area if it doesn't work out alot quicker.

No sales tax tpo,only a few small towns have it(Ashland and fe others)
But the property taxes are very high to make up for the no sales tax.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts