1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So how do you find this major?
How long did it land you a job?
Is ageism present in this department?
Does it fit socially anxious or socially awkward quiet people?
Can you work independent in this major or job?
How stressful is this job?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I completed a Software Development course at college in the UK about two years ago. It was ok, I was among the oldest in the course in my 30s with a few immature people on it that I tried to avoid.

I didn't go straight into a job but worked solely with a business partner who found me due to another student picking up on my skills after leaving, it was ok as I just had to work with him and not deal with many clients.

I got a job a few months later after as a Web Developer for a small local shop which was far more stressful. Having to deal with a struggling stressed out boss and clients asking so many questions left me tired. It was also a computer repair shop so it had many customers asking questions coming in.

Not necessarily ageism, I think the boss wanted to pay anyone skilled the cheapest he could find at the time. He did mention to me though that he wished he hired a younger eastern european worker that could take half the time I took.

I worked independently at this job and had no real support or backup to help me.

It was varied, some days were quiet and it wouldn't be busy. The most stressful days were the busy days when my repair colleague wasn't working and had to deal with customers.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I majored in Computer Science 8 years ago but have never worked for large companies. At my first job I was completely alone.

In my opinion, it's better to be part of a small team than working totally on your own. It's easier to ask your colleagues for help than having to ask someone you don't know in case you need help while working alone.

IT jobs may involve communication with customers - but it is not really intense communication and it will usually happen sporadically. I did some freelance things and this is the worst part - getting a computer-illiterate person to understand the limitations of IT.

Jobs can be stressful depending on which technologies you work with. I tend to prefer jobs where we use well-established and well-known technologies, where support is readily accessible from the Internet.

Feel free to PM me if you have more questions :)

·
Registered
414 Posts
I am about to get my masters in computer science. I've worked many programming-related jobs in the past. My favorite one was the "work from home" opportunity. But then I got an offer for a big company with substantially higher pay and benefits. But after 2 years I couldn't stand the levels of stress and had to quit.

I don't think it's difficult to find a job if you already have some experience. But its difficult if you are new to the field, took me almost a year to find first job, but I was still in college, no experience, wasn't looking very hard, wanted only local work, etc. It helps if you have some big projects you can demonstrate, maybe join some online team for free to get some experience.

There are many work from home opportunities but they are not paid nearly as much as a full-time job.

I think the stress depends on how many people you are working with, smaller teams seem to be more easy-going.

I don't think there are any agisms sexisms and racisms in IT jobs. If you do your job well, don't start any dramas, you should be fine. In my full-time job we had all sorts of men and women from early 20s to 60+ in the office. There was never an issue of any sort.

Just my 2 cents

·
Registered
16 Posts
About 2 years since I graduated. You need experience to work but you can't get experience without working. Oh and you need to network with people to get noticed. And assuming you got that then you gotta go through the interview. I sometimes wonder if I should just die cause if I can't find a job I'm practically bored and useless.

·
still searching...
938 Posts
Im probably going to start my own Software in the future (Become a Sole Proprietor) without looking for a job while I'm young and have a roof.

There are so many open-source GitHub projects out there which I can just put together and create something amazing. I'm really good at reverse engineering code. Ive created a Multi-player game from combining ideas and modules of 6 different projects that had nothing to do with games.

So much potential. So much potential out there

·
Registered
4,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
About 2 years since I graduated. You need experience to work but you can't get experience without working. Oh and you need to network with people to get noticed. And assuming you got that then you gotta go through the interview. I sometimes wonder if I should just die cause if I can't find a job I'm practically bored and useless.
Well this is such a let down. I've always thought that if you learned this major or got the degree you have a chance to work solo or at least part-time solo. I guess I have no hope then.

Im probably going to start my own Software in the future (Become a Sole Proprietor) without looking for a job while I'm young and have a roof.

There are so many open-source GitHub projects out there which I can just put together and create something amazing. I'm really good at reverse engineering code. Ive created a Multi-player game from combining ideas and modules of 6 different projects that had nothing to do with games.

So much potential. So much potential out there
This is great, and you're only 18.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts