Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I'm being effected by the advertising here. :shock

No, my mattress sucks and I'm trying to figure out a good one without going to a store.
So how are they?

·
In 'da 707
4,382 Posts
Yea my dad bought me one even after i begged him not to. I liked my old bed just fine. It was a complete waste of money that he didn't have. But what can u do when ppl won't listen to u *sigh* Anyway, i don't mean to disappoint you, but i don't feel anything special about it. It's sort of firm like my old bed. It is made of that foam stuff, but it doesn't really do that "conform to your body" type thing like on the commercial. It doesn't make squeaky sounds when u lay down on it due to lack of wires. But keep in mind that everyone's subjective perception is different, and you might think it's the most wonderful thing in the world. I guess it's just a risk to be taking.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I get pretty sick of hearing that mattresses are subjective. Everybody has a body. Muscle and bone and fat and skin. There should be a perfect mattress. :mum
The one I have now has springs poking and stabbing and I'd like to avoid that. That's why I was thinking of this one.

·
Après moi, le déluge
5,682 Posts
When my ex-bf and I were looking for a new mattress, we were at the store, lying on the Tempurpedic mattress. A complete stranger walked by and told us, "If you're looking for any kind of back support, don't get one of those."

We didn't get one of those. That's all I know about them. :stu

Have a nice day,
Kelly :)

·
Banned
2,799 Posts
A co-worker of mine has one and says she loves it because it conforms to her sleeping position, but that's exactly why I don't want one. I have a bit of curvature to my back, so I need real support, not one of those.

I think the problem with mattress shopping is that they all feel good when you just flop down on one after walking for a while.

·
Retired Enforcer
19,112 Posts
I have a water bed. It conforms to me nicely and its toasty warm on a cold winter night.

·
···---···
3,375 Posts
If you want to keep the support but need some softness without the 'sinking' in feeling then one option is to put a layer of eggshell foam on top of your spring mattress. They have this cut to fit beds and they're pretty cheap. This is how I have it set up and it's pretty close to perfect for me... soft but firm.

·
Invisible Threadkiller
1,895 Posts
I have the tempurpedic celebrity bed. I Love it. I relly miss it when I am gone for a few days having to sleep on crappy mattresses. It is a bit different to sleep on though and takes a few weeks to get used to. Since you do sink into it, it makes it a little harder to roll around. If you do change positions you just have to wait a few minutes to reconform. Since the mattress is so different it makes it hard to shop for since you arent normally laying on it for an hour to see how it makes you feel when shopping. If you do have a bad back then you have to see if it works for you. My mm and I both have bad backs. She can't sleep on it while I can.

I had problems with my arms going numb with my old mattress. The tempurpedic solved that. Just note the celebritybed has a very soft pillowtop layer that is softer than the bare tempur material. With no sheets on it it is very comfortable and soft. With sheets it can't conform as well and has a different feeling than when you are at the store.

Ive had it for over a year and so far there are no dips in it. I can lay in any spot and it conforms and I dont feel like I am rolling back into my old spot. They claim to have a 20 yr warranty. just note that it is a 10 yr full warranty if tha dip is created greater than 1/4 inch. after 10yrs it is a prorated warranty. My Beautyrest was 10 yrs old when I got rid of it and it had dips extremely bad so hopefully if anything develops it will do it within 10 years so I can get a new one :)

·
Banned
3,667 Posts
Yeah, I get pretty sick of hearing that mattresses are subjective. Everybody has a body. Muscle and bone and fat and skin. There should be a perfect mattress. :mum
The one I have now has springs poking and stabbing and I'd like to avoid that. That's why I was thinking of this one.
I owned one for a couple years and liked it, but didn't think it was anything special.

Since movie, I've bought a thick, pillow top queen mattress (I think that's what they are called?) and don't even have a boxspring. I sleep just as well, if not better, and haven't had any issues with back pain or anything of the like.

On the other hand, my brother loves his and swears by it. He's taking it from coast to coast with him. :D

·
Registered
31 Posts
Totally random tidbit, but I've heard that they have a pretty strong chemical type SMELL initially. :sus The person who told me this said it took a few weeks for the smell to go away and he had to sleep with the window open because the smell gave him headaches.

·
SAS Nonmember
148 Posts
I tried them out about 2 years ago when I was mattress shopping and found them weird. They lack the squishiness of a regular mattress or something. My parents have one of those air mattresses and I don't like that either. I have a pillowtop one which is nice, though it did sink in in the middle a little bit over time, but you can always get a foam topper or something to put over it. Actually that sort of makes me wonder why they don't just sell the pillowtop part as a removable piece that you can replace every few years.

·
Invisible Threadkiller
1,895 Posts
If I remember correctly it did have a chemical smell for a little bit. I don't recall it being very bad, especially when you put sheets on it.

One thing to consider is pretty much all new mattresses are comfortable. It is what happens over time when they start to degrade that you have to pay attention to. I would say a spring mattress has a life span of about 10 years. Since a tempurpedic is about twice the cost (or more) of most spring mattresses you could replace you mattress every 10 years and still be in the same place as keeping the tempurpedic for 20 years (if they do last that long). I'll come back in 19 years and let you know how mine is holding up :)

·
Registered
10,503 Posts
Have you consider the sleep number bed? I just love mine. I had it for almost ten years now. The only thing you have to assemble it, but that was good for me. It is hard moving a mattress up my stairs in my old house. I also bought the plastic base for it. It has a wired remote connected to a pump. I can adjust how much air in the air chamber.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts