Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

Anybody got/get horrible grades in school?

7K views 39 replies 37 participants last post by  ZADY 
#1 ·
Back in elementary and high school, I got the worst marks and barely passed anything.
Hell, I barely graduated high school. But it seems like everybody was constantly on the honor roll.
I was put in the "special" class, kind of special academic attention, in which we did nothing....
I felt so inferior in that class.
Anyway, were any of you horrid in the academic department?

It's annoying in college now, to fail something and all your friends in the class are doing good in it and it's just not fair.

Anyone get what i'm talking about?

#4 ·
Yeah, I did this past year. It was really lack of motivation on my part. I think that I know why. My youtube account says that I watched 13,000 videos since last Fall. A huge chunk of that was listening to music. I got pretty addicted. I need to get rid of that addiction.

#5 ·
I did terrible in high school and didn't give a damn. Why should I? Getting physically and verbally abused at home, neighborhood, and school, girls didn't want anything to do with me, and the thing that pissed me off the most(and the thing that made me even MORE DETERMINED TO NOT TALK) would be when teachers called on me all of the time because I wouldn't raise my hand.

#7 ·
I had very bad grades when high school started. It wasn't really the pressure of getting good grades that got to me, I just thought it was stupid everyone telling me what to do. I stopped going to class altogether my attendance was 50% in 10th grade, didn't bother going back after that.

Spent 2 years or so doing nothing, then completed my remaining credits a few months ago during spring with 100% on both my final exams, it was because I chose to this time. Now I am taking more classes so I can get into college.

Don't worry if you drop out, it really doesn't matter unless you wait around to long.

#8 ·
To be totally honest, I had Bs and Cs while in public school and it was a struggle for me to go to class every day. I made and agreement with my father pertaining to grades and he allowed me to do homeschooling. After about the first week he notice that I had nothing under a B in my subjects... I ended up graduating a year early, with honors at the top 5% of my "class" :)

#9 ·
I got good grades in school, except in math or anything having to do with math, like chemistry or physics. There really is such a thing as "math anxiety". I got an F in chemistry in the last quarter of my senior year of high school, mostly because I didn't give a sh*t anymore and stopped trying.

#10 ·
I did well enough to get into an Ivy League level college. Did well in my 1st semester of college and then I fell off a cliff. I got expelled with a GPA <1.0 to give you an indication of how well I was doing. It's hard to do well when you don't leave your room except to eat (mainly from vending machines) and to use the bathroom.

#37 ·
Wow, that's rough. I know it must be especially hard explaining that to your family.

At least you made it to an Ivy League college. I always thought I would attend one but my anxieties totally destroyed my high school career.

#12 ·
I get bad grades in the classes I hate (math, english, science, almost everything lol) but not because I cant do the work. I sleep most of the time and I still ace tests but I refuse to do other projects and homework. when ever teachers or my parents ask me why I get bad grades. I always say because I hate the class. They always think I hate the class because I get bad grades but I get bad grades because I hate my classes.

Is there some unwritten rule that smart people are supposed to love going to school and getting good grades?

#13 ·
I received mostly C's in High school. I did earn a few B's, but no A's. It wasn't I was stupid. It was I just thought it was a waste of time, and I didn't push myself. In college I earned many B's and even a few A's, and also some C's, but I did a lot better in college then High School.

#14 ·
I felt so inferior in that class.
Anyway, were any of you horrid in the academic department?

Anyone get what i'm talking about?
yes, most of my academic life has been a disaster. I would still pass though by pushing myself to study and repeat at the last minute. University still was difficult for me since I did get a few A's and B's and a lot of Cs, D's. F's/ etc/

#17 ·
my high school life was so traumatizing. i failed some subjects and barely passed most out of pity from my teachers. then again, i studied in a science high school. you'd imagine a bunch of nerds laughing at star wars jokes, but no. majority of our population wears braces, glasses or both, but most of them are overachieving and highly sociable superhumans, and because of that the teachers and professors raised the bar so high it's horrifying and hospitalization because of stress and pressure is a common event. imagine oral defenses, and corporate board room-ish presentations coupled with laboratory exercises(there were 2 years we were required to take physics, biology and chemistry all at the same year everyday!) and individual scientific research on a daily basis. what's worse is i live in the school and sleep 4 hours most nights and no sleep at all during exam season. absolutely no room left for the rest of your life. the only fun we have is when we make fun and humiliate lazy, crappy and incompetent teachers.

thank God, that was overrr. *cries of happiness*

i went to university and took physics. finally got sick of all the studying and ditched all my classes. now, i'm a bum and my parents are threatening to throw me out.

#18 ·
I did well freshman and sophomore year. As and Bs. Junior year, im taking a lot more AP classes, but not doing as well. High Cs, low Bs, and I failed Math one quarter. Good thing is, if i get an a in math this last quarter, my unweighted average will be a C. Im the only non-senior in the class so i hope that gives me something grade wise. Anyways, the only reason im passing my classes (not to sound pretentious) is because im naturally smart. I dont do any of the work because of my anxiety. Lack of motivation is a BIG part of anxiety and depression. If getting into a good college wasnt my only source of motivation (however small that motivation is), im sure id be failing too.

#19 ·
I did pretty well in high school but college was a different story.

Naturally, I preferred the large classes where you could just sit unnoticed and listen to the lecture. However, my Expository Writing class was a nightmare. It was a small class of about 20-30 students and the professor would call on anyone at anytime. Of course, I was constantly petrified. Sure enough, the professor asked a question and called on me. I had no clue what I was saying. I started babbling and going on and on nonsensically. After I'd finished, my professor sarcastically said something to the effect that, "That answer was just about as clear as Mike Dukakis was during the debate last night." (this was 1988 when Dukakis was running for president...I know, I'm dating myself!)

Well, that humiliation was enough for me. I didn't attend a single class after that. Nor did I tell anyone. I would leave my dorm every morning as if I were going to class and would wander the campus all day. In the end, I was kicked out of school after my first semester as I wasn't completing any assignments. And that was the end of my college experience.

My brother tried to make me feel better by saying he forgot everything he learned in college. :)

John

#21 ·
I did decently in high school and in my first couple years of post-secondary. But when I transferred to my present school, I began to have a bunch of issues that killed my motivation and made me afraid to attend classes. I ended up on academic probation. It felt pretty terrible. I'm pulling in A's these days, but I cringe every time I think about the year my GPA was less than zero.

*cringes*

#22 ·
I mostly got average grades, b's and c's out of pure laziness. What really killed me was the upper tier math classes though, as soon as I ran into those I started getting F's and D's as i'm just stone dumb when it comes to math, even today I have problems adding and subtracting. English was different, I could crank out a complicated research paper only hours before it was due with little effort and still get a b on it.

I pulled myself up and managed to pass college with a high b average though and on the deans list so I didn't turn out to bad. I feel compelled to the school environment actually, but learning that succeeding in college means you have to get recommendations and suck up to profesessors dashed my dreams to pieces of ever teaching or being in academia.

#23 ·
I did ok until 5th grade. I had to take 5th grade over again it was so bad and so from the 2nd time around until I graduated high school, I was in special education classes that still got me C's. Several times they'd try and put me in regular classes and i'd get an F.

I even did poorly in gym class, I only passed in middle school because the teacher was my grandfather's friend but in high school I only took it for 1 year and then put me in a study hall the rest of my time in place of it.
I also had to take summer school a few times and even needed to take it to graduate :sigh

#25 ·
I've always gotten a variety of grades. Half A, Half B, with C's added in. (7th grade was my highest GPA for a year in school, of course everything was okay that year, I had a friend and no gym class! 3.5 GPA) As time went on, me becoming more sick and anxious, my grades were falling and I was lucky to get out of 9th grade. After that, I stayed home and did a distance learning thing for high school and got mostly A's...of course it was a bit easy. Read, write some essays, and do multiple choice tests.

In school, I never answered questions or participated much, not even in group work. I HATED groups.

#26 ·
I failed out of a lot of classes in high school, and think that I was ranked in the bottom 5 in a class of 250. Everyone knew that I was supposed to be smart, but I never paid attention or did any homework and thinking back I honestly don't know why.

When I was in 8th grade I was put into the special education department and labeled emotionally disabled based on some personality tests they gave me. Looking back though, what 8th grader isn't going to score ridiculously low on a personality test?!?!?

I stayed in special ed until my senior year of high school when I was retested and scored really well on the intelligence tests and within the normal category of the personality tests.

I was told by a school counselor to prepare for the possibility that I wasn't going to be accepted into college, but because of a pretty good ACT score, I was actually accepted into the two schools that he went to. I went to one of them, did really super well, and transferred to the school that I have always wanted to go to since I was young.

Now that I am away from high school, and at a reputable university that I love, I am doing so much better than anyone ever thought I could do. I think it is a combination of me trying harder, and being without the stigma of emotionally disabled, but I am now an honor's student!!! When I tell people that I was in special ed in highschool and almost flunked out of school they are completely shocked!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.