Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a medical transcriptionist and was wondering if anyone wanted to network, share tips, or talk about their experience in the field. I know at least one co-worker I IM when I need help and she has been very nice. (I haven't brought up SA though). Other than that, don't really know anybody else in this field. SA of course was the primary reason I got into this field. I can say that I have been very lucky with MT and continue to progress. On April 27, I will officially have 2 years and plan to take the CMT in May.

·
Registered
14,599 Posts
I did it for a while but it wasnt for me. I worked out of my home and it made me feel even more isolated. The company I worked for was horrible and after six months I quit.

I now work in another part of medical care at a hospital and like it much more.

The wages of transcription have been steadily declining which also worried me. They still have inhouse transcriptionists in the hospital that I work in and if I were them I would be worried as the hospital is looking everywhere for ways to save money. They could outsource it for probably half of what they are paying these people.

I liked the job itself; I always found the reports interesting but I also felt like I worked for a Chinese Sweatshop with the line requirements and low pay.

Sounds like your experience has been much better. I am glad for you. I wasnt so lucky. I really thought it would be the right career for me and a part of me still wishes it had worked out better.

·
Banned
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I agree. It is a tough field to be in when you're trying to support yourself (and others) and yes, I've had luck on my side. It does get lonely working from home, but this is where I am comfortable right now in terms of SA. However, I never gave up and I found something worth keeping, even if it's something kept for a short while.

·
Registered
14,599 Posts
Do you mind if I ask what company you work for? I worked for Spheris, and the account they gave me was called EChart and it was horrible. ALL ESL docs, all the time. I had one that was particulary bad from Duke in NC that I pretty much would start to cry when I heard his voice come up, because I knew it would be bad.

I loved transcribing itself, when you have good docs. Listening to case history, preparing the report, understanding what they are talking about-- alot of people get lost when a doc starts using med terminology but when you transcribe you can pretty much follow along.

I hope you continue to have success in the field. Its nice to hear a good story about this! :)

·
Banned
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Why don't I just turn this into a medical thread?

·
Registered
428 Posts
I had an employer who let me start working from home doing transcription for them, but I got laid off. I was hoping I could do that forever. It's a great job for SA.

·
In 'da 707
4,382 Posts
In training! Been in training extremely long because I just can't get myself to focus LOL I keep buying extensions on the program. Deep down i really do want to do this though, and I need to get more serious about it.

·
Banned
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hm, interesting. Maybe I could mentor a newbie?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts