Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
overcoming sa

People definately overcome SA!!!!

I myself cannot say I have but there are definately those who have. It might be hard to find them on this forum simply because most of us are looking for support in dealing with our current issues. I can tell you for sure that even if it is not totally erased from your life you can learn to live a happy life.

·
Registered
10,467 Posts
It still creates problems for me, but I can say I have improved since I was 19. I was pretty much a basket case then. I use to have a fear of using telephones, but I got over it when I had to go out and work for a living. When I was 25 part of my job was manning the two emergency after call phones at a mental health agency back home. I still have problem with relationships with other people, especially with people I don't really know. I don't make friends easy due to fear and mistrust. I learned to mistrust due to all the bullying I received from others growing up. I also don't like walking into crowded rooms and going into crowded stores without having anxiety symptoms. If I stay in a control environment I am fine, but put me in one that is not like a party I fall apart. I have good and bad days. It is so frustrating being up and then down. Also, I suffer from occasional depression, which I consider a situational depression versus a clinical depression.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
I have no idea why people would get into their late 20s, 30s without curing their mental problems. Why not just try medication? If I got past 25 without an answer to my problems I would most definitely kill myself.

·
Registered
10,467 Posts
I have no idea why people would get into their late 20s, 30s without curing their mental problems. Why not just try medication? If I got past 25 without an answer to my problems I would most definitely kill myself.
I always believed there is no such thing as a "cure" of metal illness. You can manage it with meds or therapy, but no one is cured like getting over the cold.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
There's your problem then, SSRIs are notoriously ineffective. Try something like Nardil then see if you still think SA is incurable by meds.

·
SAS Member
31,285 Posts
That's my point. You need to take meds to feel normal. What happens when you don't have meds? I would rather have most of my sa gone with some form of therapy so I don't have to rely on a pill for the rest of my life.

·
Registered
71 Posts
You have no idea man. Meds is not an end all cure for SA. I am in my 50s and I still suffer from extreme SA. Unless you want to walk around like a zombie for the rest of your adult life meds are out for me.

·
Banned
3,567 Posts
That's pretty insightful. I would estimate that 25% or more of the active members here are over 25, and the majority of them are not dead. Wrap your head around that.

·
Fun...Fluid...Formidable
7,157 Posts
Euphoria, I was in my 30's before I knew I "had" anything!! I'm totally free now of anxiety and depression. Often a traumatic event brings to light feelings we have never dealt with before. And you may have noticed, you can't really schedule traumatic events. That's what makes us feel anxiety and depressed. It forces you to grow. I'm not down on you btw. I should write a book!

·
I am, etc.
1,381 Posts
Any progress I've made feels like it's very much on the surface—so as to represent myself to the outside world as normal. I have my own place, a job, and can function independently. But the deeper issues of SA—friendships and relationships, and my ability to be comfortable in my own skin—still elude me after all these years. So it really feels like I haven't made much progress at all.

·
molaurie
28 Posts
Meds don't cure anything. They just hide the problem. Once you stop taking them your SA is going to come back (probably worse than before).
So very true! I can attest to this, having been on meds. and a LOT of different ones since my early 20's. They just mask the symptoms, and when you get off them, there you are again - left to deal with yourself, your anxiety, etc. Some of them are downright dangerous, highly addictive. Much better to develop acceptance and to live life on life's terms, is what I have come to realize.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Meds don't cure anything. They just hide the problem. Once you stop taking them your SA is going to come back (probably worse than before).
Insulin shots don't cure diabetes either but diabetics can take them their whole life.

That's my point. You need to take meds to feel normal. What happens when you don't have meds?
Buy some more?

Yes but what if you never stop taking them? That's kind of the point in severe SA, which is known as a chronic, unrelenting disorder.

So very true! I can attest to this, having been on meds. and a LOT of different ones since my early 20's. They just mask the symptoms, and when you get off them, there you are again - left to deal with yourself, your anxiety, etc. Some of them are downright dangerous, highly addictive. Much better to develop acceptance and to live life on life's terms, is what I have come to realize.
I would rather run a small risk of "medication danger" than live with my natural emotional state. So would a lot of people if they knew what life can be like.

Contrary to some of what's been said, not all meds make you a zombie. Some actually heighten intelligence, emotion and empathy. Wrap your head around that.

·
Improving
987 Posts
My meds (lexapro and wellbutrin) have been working great for me. I am doing things I was totally unable to before the meds, even after about 60 CBT sessions.

If my SA comes back when I stop my meds then I'll restart them and take them the rest of my life if I have to. For the first time in many, many years I actually feel like I want to live and have stopped most of my self destructive behaviors.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts