Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been reading some of the supportive things that Christians are sharing with each other here, and I'm wondering... am I the only Neopagan here?

·
Banned
4,462 Posts
Finally some originality in the spirituality forum. What kind of pagan are you? What gods do you worship? Or do you just worship the earth or nature?

I'm not looking to debate. I'm just curious.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi, wituckius!

I'm an eclectic Wiccan/hedge Witch. When I give names to the Gods I tend to lean toward my Irish Celtic heritage. I'm a creative, nurturant personality, so I gravitate toward Brigid a lot. I think that all life comes from a single source, that some people call God and some people break into many aspects called Gods. I find it easier and more fulfilling to converse with individual aspects -- healer, teacher, guardian -- and since I'm a woman I usually resonate better with feminine forms (though I work with male Gods, too).

Probably more than you wanted, eh. ;)

·
You can do this!
4,464 Posts
meekgeek said:
When I give names to the Gods I tend to lean toward my Irish Celtic heritage. I'm a creative, nurturant personality, so I gravitate toward Brigid a lot.
Cool :) Did you know that St. Bridgit of the Christian tradition is based off the Goddess Brigid? (Actually, you probably did.) I'm not really a neopagan, but I dig Celtic lore. My pet project this summer is to learn runes and tarot cards. So far I'm doing pretty good.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I use Runes occasionally, when I need a quick bit of advice about something. It can be remarkably reassuring, too, to carry a Rune or two in my pocket when facing an uncomfortable situation. Some people have a rabbit's foot -- I have Uruz (for strength & determination).

I own three or four decks of Tarot as well, though it's been ages since I've used any of them. My husband used to work in a store a long time ago where he had to walk past a sidewalk fortuneteller sometimes during the summer (tourist area). The women who worked the table there would call out to passing people how much they charged and "Don't you want to know your future?" He (a skeptical athiest) would always tell them that if he wanted that he could "get it at home." He says it always got him a double-take. :lol

·
Registered
80 Posts
No, but it's something I'm very interested in.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Feel free to ask if you have questions, amtoreo. I'm very open about my faith, even though sometimes it runs me straight into my SA triggers by drawing attention to me when I'm least ready for it. Every once in a while, someone who knows me introduces me to a complete stranger with "This is my friend the Witch!"
:hide

·
Banned
4,462 Posts
meekgeek said:
Feel free to ask if you have questions, amtoreo. I'm very open about my faith, even though sometimes it runs me straight into my SA triggers by drawing attention to me when I'm least ready for it. Every once in a while, someone who knows me introduces me to a complete stranger with "This is my friend the Witch!"
:hide
In what way do you worship? Do you cast spells or anything of that nature? I've always found paganism fascinating.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
wituckius said:
In what way do you worship? Do you cast spells or anything of that nature? I've always found paganism fascinating.
I've cast a few spells over the years and made a few charms, but it's not the focus of what I do. My religion is a way for me to connect with the meaning in my life and the rhythms of the world. I keep a small altar at home that I use for seasonal celebrations and the occasional purpose-driven ritual, but most of the time my relationship with the Gods isn't as formal as all that. I meditate when I need to feel calm or just want to reconnect. I talk to Brigid when I'm looking for inspiration or healing in much the same way that any Christian will murmur a prayer.

I could write up a description of one of my basic rituals, if you're interested, but it's not terribly different from the dozens of descriptions you can find by Googling for "Wiccan ritual".

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
This is a very interesting thread. I dont know really anything about Neopagans and what not. Reading about it makes me realize how much religions are the same overall.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I'm not into any real defined religion or anything but I believe in an earth energy that is transfered between all living things. This is why I try to do as little harm to everything I can. Some people think I'm crazy when I say that I wouldn't kill a mosquito sucking on my blood. But there are others like me, I think.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It's nice to see I'm not the only one around here with non-mainstream spiritual leanings. When you're surrounded by people who all have more or less the same beliefs as one another, it's ridiculously easy to slide from "they just don't get it because there are so few of us" to "maybe I don't belong here/am not welcome here after all." Especially when you're dealing wih social anxiety already.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
TruSeeker777 said:
I hope you will always feel welcome here because you always will be :squeeze
Thanks, TruSeeker. So far, not too bad. I have to admit to having a few maybe-not moments here and there. Not reflective of anyone but me, though. You know how it goes. :par

·
Registered
88 Posts
I'm a Pagan also... I just don't read / post in this forum much since to much of its christian and I've found little acceptance from christians or catholics.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I know exactly where you're coming from, Syanis. Being a religious minority isn't an easy thing sometimes, even for those without anxiety disorders. I thought seriously about it for a couple of days before I put my original post up: this place seems so deeply Christian that I very nearly didn't. I wrestled with the fear of opening myself up to being rejected for my beliefs, and I decided that it was better to be myself. And why shouldn't I talk about my spiritual side? Besides, IMHO, the only way we're going to become accepted is to be out there where people can see us. Scary as that can be, even online.

And so far, the folks here have been very nice to me,so I guess my big gamble is paying off.

BTW, Syanis, do you give a name to your spiritual path? Does it help with the SA? I'd like to hear how other Pagans cope with anxiety, too.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hey guys, count one more.

I mostly follow a druid path, though not any one method or path. That's the beauty of our spiritual choice, freedom isn't it?

To me, it boils down to nature, and forces that I know are around us.

I believe in science, but think there are things around us that science cannot explain. When I sit outside at night, and see the moonlight filtering through the trees, and the orange orb of Mars floating in the sky, I can feel an energy. That, to me, is spirituality, religion,magick, whatever you choose to call it. I don't need to name those gods/godesses to have it work for me. Perhaps I will once I get further down my path.

Blessings to you all

Lets keep this conversation alive!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Stomper4x4 said:
I believe in science, but think there are things around us that science cannot explain.
I'm of a similar mind on that, Stomper. Science can help us ferret out a lot of the details of how the universe works, but not all of them. There are too many phenomena that lie beyond its reach.

Stomper4x4 said:
When I sit outside at night, and see the moonlight filtering through the trees, and the orange orb of Mars floating in the sky, I can feel an energy. That, to me, is spirituality, religion,magick, whatever you choose to call it. I don't need to name those gods/godesses to have it work for me. Perhaps I will once I get further down my path.
I know that energy. I get it from the light of the moon, from the touch of the earth, from the sound of the wind in the trees or the ocean lapping at the shore. And it really doesn't matter what we call it, does it? It's been there longer than there have been humans, longer than this planet has been in existence, and it will go on when all of this isn't even a memory anymore.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts