Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
insert witty comment here
6,221 Posts
That is a brave subject line LOL

There is this general mood of narcissist bashing on this board. They will slaughter you. ;)

·
Registered
154,235 Posts
We all have narcissistic tendencies, but some more than others. We use the word "diva" for the ladies, and "ego" for the men. I have been reading a book written by Dr. Drew who studied celebrity behavior. There is a sense of entitlement - the "do you know who I am?" kind of thing. Some of it gets extreme. Thank God I am not that bad.

·
Banned
1,634 Posts
Just because I want to be seen on every thread , doesn't make me a narcissist!

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
idk its like all of a sudden this past week i became a freakin narcissit

idk if thats possible

·
Long Term Member
Yo
5,392 Posts
I know I get a little ahead of myself but I don't think I'm heartless, I'm full of myself at times, but still think people are beautiful. I am a narcissist when it comes to knowledge and wisdom, but not to looks, which I appear to fail at.

·
Banned
3,285 Posts
Thanks for speaking about me...*gets up on my horse now and trots away*

·
6,221 Posts
idk its like all of a sudden this past week i became a freakin narcissit

idk if thats possible
You have probably not developed narcissism but are experiencing arrogance. It usually serves to hide insecurity. The bigger the arrogance, the bigger the insecurity.

·
inactive
4,029 Posts
People on this board, and in general, seem to have a pretty poor grasp of what narcissism really is. You get an image in your head of some bronzed jock admiring himself in the mirror and gloating about how awesome his life is. There also seems to be a general consensus that narcissism and insecurity are mutually exclusive, which is absolutely ridiculous. Additionally, intellectual and physical self image aren't necessarily inextricably linked.

Of course, I've only got my own experience to go on. I've found that narcissism and misanthropy tend to go hand in hand. Even when I was severely depressed, I held the notion that really, if I put my mind to it, I could outdo almost anyone my age intellectually. I also thought that I'd be a pretty good catch, and that any girl would be lucky to be my girlfriend, and that they ought to savour not having to go out with one of those other plebs. That by no means meant that I didn't hate everything about myself. It's hard to articulate what it's like, and it's hard to admit to such arrogance and pretention, because, well, it's embarrassing.

Narcissism is a delusion. It's inherently self effacing, which might seem counterintuitive, but so is the thought that you're better than everyone else yet nobody else recognises it. It's pathetic and it's shameful, but whatever. I still think I'm smarter than you.

·
Long Term Member
Yo
5,392 Posts
This only proves I'm a narcissist. To an extent....I think we all think we are god amongst mere mortals once in a while.

·
inactive
4,029 Posts

·
6,221 Posts
There is a great book on narcissism by Alice Miller 'The Drama of the gifted child'

·
Long Term Member
Yo
5,392 Posts
But does this really make it narcissism if you realize how gifted and more intelligent you are then other people? Though I'm sure I try to not rub it on other people as much, since I know that there will always be someone more intelligent then me.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts