Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Digimon Loyalist
2,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if there are any Miyazaki fans here. I recently came across some of his movies on youtube. The animation in his works are beautiful and so detailed. I'v watched most of his movies except Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, Princess Mononoke, and the newly released Ponyo. Spirited Away and Laputa: Castle in the Sky are my current favorites.
Anyone else love Miyazaki?

·
Registered
389 Posts
I love his movies. I really want to go see Ponyo but I don't want to go alone :(
Spirited Away and Howls Moving Castle are my favorite. I think I will wait a week or so and then go and see Ponyo

·
Digimon Loyalist
2,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My favorite scene in Spirited Away is the train sequence. Its so beautiful and mysterious. The emotions from the train riding over the vast sea in the sunset was so moving. I wonder who the shadowy people were or what they represent. I like Miyazaki because his animated movies are intelligent and don't condescend the audience. :)

·
Registered
262 Posts
thx, yah i like those songs too, i cant wait till his next album, i dont usually buy albums but i'll probably buy his.
Wow thats my favorite scene in all of his movies, its so peaceful. Miyazaki's movies just take you to another world. Its too bad we have to end up back to our normal lives. The song they play Sixth station is on my ipod, i listen to it on the bus.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I've seen a few of his movies and enjoyed them.

The ones I have watched I would rank like this, from best to worst:

Spirited Away
Porco Rosso
My Neighbor Totoro
Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind
Princess Mononoke

·
Registered
5,120 Posts
Spirited Away is the best. Princess Mononoke is probably my second favorite as a movie, but My Neighbor Totoro is closest to my heart (it was my introduction to Miyazaki in Japanese class). Kiki's Delivery Service is pretty cute.

·
is getting over herself
12,022 Posts
I just heard about Ponyo today on one of my podcasts. I'm really intrigued as the reviewer made it sound so fascinating and well worth seeing. I've never heard of this guy before, but I really want to see it.

·
Digimon Loyalist
2,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
I just heard about Ponyo today on one of my podcasts. I'm really intrigued as the reviewer made it sound so fascinating and well worth seeing. I've never heard of this guy before, but I really want to see it.
From what I hear about him in Japan, he's like the Steven Spielberg of Japanese animation. Everybody loves him! Ponyo in particular. It broke all kinds of box office records in Japan. There are toys everywhere still, despite it coming out like 3 years ago.

I don't know much about him--or his movies--because I can't understand enough Japanese, but I would love to see the english version of Ponyo.

·
is getting over herself
12,022 Posts
anyone know of Takashi Murakami? Love his work. a little off the subject, but had to mention. I'm a little Japan crazy at the moment. I really want to travel there someday.

·
SAS Member
14,412 Posts
Laputa: castle in the sky and Princess Mononoke are my favorites.
It's hard not to like his stuff, even for people who dont normally watch anime. He makes them enjoyable for everyone.

·
Registered
302 Posts
He is the eastern Walt Disney, making great films all the time. I really like Laputa, Kiki's Delivery Service and many others.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I love his movies, I've had Princess Mononoke on dvd for almost ten years but I never really tried to get any of his other movies. Last year, thanks to netflix, I saw some of his movies I hadn't seen and loved them. I proceeded to buy all his movies, even the ones I hadn't seen yet. Best movie purchase ever. I just saw Ponyo today, and it was fantastic.
And while I love all his films I think my favorite from most to least is roughly

Princess Mononoke
Nausicaa
Castle in the Sky
Ponyo
Porco Rosso
Howls moving Castle
My Neighbor Totoro
Spirited Away
Kiki's Delivery Service

Is Grave of the fireflies one? That one was quite sad :( I've seen a few and I think they're alright...I like spirited away too. I've been meaning to watch Princess Monoke actually :/
Grave of the Fireflies is not by Miyazaki, it is however, made by the same studio and is as good as any of Miyazaki's films.

Also for any Miyazakis fans, there is another excellent movie made by studio ghibli called Whisper of the Heart. It was not directed by Miyazaki, but he wrote the screenplay.

·
Registered
21 Posts
My favorite scene in Spirited Away is the train sequence. Its so beautiful and mysterious. The emotions from the train riding over the vast sea in the sunset was so moving. I wonder who the shadowy people were or what they represent. I like Miyazaki because his animated movies are intelligent and don't condescend the audience. :)
I like that scene too. My favorite films of his are Nausicaa, Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away, Howls Moving Castle, Kiki's Delivery Service...I always feel so content after watching his movies.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Yes, I loved the manga version of Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind - I haven't seen all the movies though; just Princess Mononoke and Howl's Moving Castle both of which are excellent, and Nausicaa. I also really like Joe Hisaishi who did a lot of the musical scores for Miyazaki's movies.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts