Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Song and action man
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a goal of mine in the next few years. To finally buy a condo or townhouse, presently I live at home. Which is all right for the time being but eventually I'm sure I'll want my own space.

SA might prevent from having kids/a family but not so much independent living. Certain things would be new experiences for me by trial by fire so to speak.

·
Barbells and kittens
3,828 Posts
I just bought mine last summer. Smaller house a few miles outside of a small town sitting on 0.6 acres. Had a few unexpected small expenses fixing stuff and spent quite a bit more than I'd imagined with furniture, random stuff like curtains, etc. Overall really enjoying having a place that's my own though.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
10,478 Posts
Bought my house late summer of '99. I paid it off a couple years later. It was built in 1910 and the addition was added on in 1995. The garage is heated, has a drain, and has hot water line I use to keep the salt off the vehicle in the winter.

8FEB1F6A-0393-418A-9074-67D70874A5CE_1_105_c

·
Registered
111 Posts
Bought my house late summer of '99. I paid it off a couple years later. It was built in 1910 and the addition was added on in 1995. The garage is heated, has a drain, and has hot water line I use to keep the salt off the vehicle in the winter.

8FEB1F6A-0393-418A-9074-67D70874A5CE_1_105_c
Man that's pretty sick, beautiful place!

I'm kinda wanting to own a house somewhere down the line, but being 33 my condo is serving me fine enough at the moment. Still, a place where you got your own space does sound very alluring, and also I can bring my cats there which would be a definite improvement over them being at my parents place lol.

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
In my mind, I want my own home and always have since I was a kid. I'm always looking at house listings. I should probably have bought one long ago, but I've always gotten worried about something happening and not being able to pay the mortgage and ending up homeless. So I still live with my parents.

They also keep getting more expensive! But I'd prefer a separate house with a private back yard, and a garage.

But yeah, it'd be nice to have something to make my own.

·
Big Boo's Haunt
3,961 Posts
I own an apartment. It's ok but I wish I had a house instead to reduce the amount of neighbour and admin b.s. Eventual plan is to get my drivers' license so I have more flexibility over where I live, so I can live somewhere that I can afford to buy a house.

·
experimental sincerity
1,282 Posts
@copper that's a beautiful house!

I'm looking to buy my own place (probably a terraced house) this year or next year. It's only an option because the local government has a helpful scheme, my parents will be pitching in and my partner has a trust fund. I've got savings but there's no way in the world I could buy anything without all that help.

·
Registered
5,998 Posts
It would be nice, but I don't think I can do it because my job situation is too uncertain. Since last year I'm making more than I have before, but I am desperate to leave this job after 20 years. Any new job would likely be a comedown in earnings. I'd like to rent a free-standing house, but I'd also be afraid of the expenses. My impetus for wanting a free-standing and not a condo or town home is that I'm tired of sharing a building with others.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Since 2014. Got a great deal in a great neighborhood. My home's value has increased by nearly fifty percent since then, and homes around here are really in demand and sell in a couple days. So it was scary but it was a great investment. I was very lucky. I love my home.

·
Registered
4,714 Posts
Yeah, I've owned my place for about 8 years or so. It's fine as a first ownership, but not one I want to stay in for the rest of my life.

·
Registered
---------------------------- ▓▓▓▓Groovy▓▓▓▓
7,532 Posts
Yep, well kind of - I own a mortgage :lol I purchased it in late 2008 I think it was finalized early 2009. It was while there was a huge housing bubble, and all of the houses shot down in price, I was working for IBM at the time and had enough to put in a down payment which was not very much to begin with. It is a tiny house though, 1200 sqft I think, but that includes the garage. With three bedrooms, and two bathrooms you can only imagine how tight things get in here. The realtor had told us it was a great "starter" home, I am fine with it though. The monthly expenses, of mortgage, insurance, and property taxes are less than the majority of single room apartments, so I'm happy - plus I don't have to deal with noisy neighbors. The value of the house has gone up significantly, I eventually sell it for another home a bit further away from people.

·
Loathed Loiterer
7,958 Posts
I have a very small 2 bedroom rental under by name, but it's about a 2hr drive away from me. My mom manages it and takes in the rental profit. But the expenses and bills, I pay.

Current house I'm living in now, its title was suppose to have transferred to my siblings and I from my parents. But my mom in the last minute got my dad to just give her the sole ownership of the house. He also did the same with 2 other properties. My dad at the time just wanted to do every thing he can to be done with their div settlement asap. They only thing he was left with was a little beach-side one bedroom condo.

·
bipolar
16,858 Posts
I'll never own a home - I came to terms with that a long time ago. My wife owns her's now though - which I'm very happy about. At least one of us has one.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Yep, well kind of - I own a mortgage I purchased it in late 2008 I think it was finalized early 2009. It was while there was a huge housing bubble, and all of the houses shot down in price, I was working for IBM at the time and had enough to put in a down payment which was not very much to begin with. It is a tiny house though, 1200 sqft I think, but that includes the garage. With three bedrooms, and two bathrooms you can only imagine how tight things get in here. The realtor had told us it was a great "starter" home, I am fine with it though. The monthly expenses, of mortgage, insurance, and property taxes are less than the majority of single room apartments, so I'm happy - plus I don't have to deal with noisy neighbors. The value of the house has gone up significantly, I eventually sell it for another home a bit further away from people.
I too bought a 1700 sqft in August 2008. It is funny when I think of house shopping at that time compared to today. There were soooo many bank owned shot sales and how sellers would keep lowering their prices, It was a buyers' market and you had your choice to take your time and shop around for the most part. Today anything that goes on the market that is worth a dame is sold for way over the asking price within the first few days it is listed.
My place was 182,000, Zillow says it is around 350,000 so it still has not quite doubled after 13 years. I paid it off a few years ago, the property tax and home owner insurance is still cheap compared to a lot of other areas. I have been struggling to figure out if I want to sell for a bigger place or start over and rent out this paid off place. Thank god I did not try to rent it this year seeing as how the government gave out a free pass for people to not pay their rent. Now home prices are so out of whack it is also hard to buy a new place thanks to Californians coming in to every area to ruin everything for everyone.

·
Bleep blorp blop bip boop
3,945 Posts
I bought my grandparents' old house in September. Been enjoying it quite a bit. Came fully furnished and had absolutely no work that needed to be done on it.

·
Wilco Tango Foxtrot!
3,955 Posts
Does a mortgage count? If so yup! ^_^

I own just under 1/4 acre along the riverfront neighbouring crown land on one side! The previous owners have left the shoreline natural with the exception of a trail that goes down to the river front!

·
Registered
658 Posts
Purchased my first home jointly with my wife back in May 2019. We lived together in a very tiny apartment for five years; once we progressed far enough in our careers to afford a mortgage without affecting our monthly expenditures, we took the plunge. It’s a decent size house: it’s a three bedroom with a finished basement—probably totalling around 2100 sqft with the basement. It’s a big enough space for us and our four cats. We’ve been personalizing the house to make it ours: the next step is to finish painting the hallways and expanding our backyard garden.

Our five to ten year goal is to by a cottage outside the city to visit on the weekends.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts