Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been wanting to learn guitar for a few years now, never done it, but i'm convinced to do it now. I need to ask a few questions, and i need strong answers please :(

1 -. What is a good acoustic guitar i can start with?
2 -. How long will it take to be "good" if i practice everyday?
3 -. How long will it take to "master" if i practice everyday?
4 -. Does it really matter if i have an ugly singing voice?

i REALLY REALLY need and want to learn, i need a new hobby. Please answer.

Thanks in advance.

Edit: 5 -. Can i train my voice to sing better? Seriously, my singing voice is ugly, everytime i sing my friends laugh at me. And i've tried to use many types of tones and voices that i could make, all of them give the same result. Of course, i have never really sat down and payed attention to how i sing and try to improve either.

·
Banned
901 Posts
I have been wanting to learn guitar for a few years now, never done it, but i'm convinced to do it now. I need to ask a few questions, and i need strong answers please :(

Thanks in advance.
Good choice! Playing an instrument is such a soulful hobby to have. You're going to love learning how to play guitar.

1. For a starter guitar, go cheap. Go to your local music shop and see what they have in the $50-$99 range. You can upgrade later, but it's good to not invest everything into a guitar that *may end up collecting dust somewhere. Plus, if you keep it in awesome shape, you can sell it back to them when you're ready for an upgrade.

2. It will take years. Don't fall into the trap of wanting to play 'good', just play with your heart and soak up the experience. As time goes by, you will notice you've improved a ton. Simply play as a therapeutic channel, as a means of expression. You will succeed way faster if you can do this.

3. Personally, I've been playing for over 10 years, but I'm no master. I'm really good at metal (the only genre I play on guitar), but again, you'll enjoy the experience so much more if you just want to express yourself and get in touch with the wonderful melodies you can create.

4. No, actually, you'll learn to sing better the more you do that as well. Remember that nobody is good when they first start out, and you're guaranteed to have a blast, learn all there is to know, and create songs you've only heard in dreams. Make the music of your soul.

Also, keep us updated on your music journey. Would love to hear all about it.

·
Banned
4,222 Posts
Acoustic or electric?

Edit: nvm acoustic, I see. Hm. I started with a Martin and it was like $350. You need to learn the basics first, like chords. And it depends how long it takes to master depending on the genre you want to master. Bob Dylan didn't have a great voice but his writing and guitar skills made up for that. I've only played for about five years, but I don't play much anymore. I lost interest and figured I sucked anyway.

·
Registered
559 Posts

Thanks in advance.
I've been playing for 11 years but I don't believe in the idea of a "good" guitar player. It is subjective and a matter of taste in music.

1 - Something that has good "action" and sounds decent. Action refers to how close the strings are to the fretboard. If the strings are too far from the fret board, that makes it more difficult to play and may stunt your growth as a player. However, the strings shouldn't be so close that it causes "fret buzz" which means you get a buzz sound when you press certain frets.

2 - Very quick in my opinion. Depends on your goals.

3 - same answer as 2.

4 - no, absolutely not. It is a matter of taste in music. You could do a lot with just a guitar if you didn't feel comfortable singing. I personally love instrumental.

·
Banned
12,025 Posts
Any cheap guitars is a good start. You can upgrade later when you are serious. Takes hours and lots of practice to be good. By a year or two you should be able to compose your own music.

·
Registered
5,176 Posts
To master, I hear you need 10 000 hours.

Start with a sh*tty guitar. Once you're serious and you know you want to be dedicated to your hobby, upgrade it to suit your style.

I'm sure anyone can learn how to sing on pitch. It just takes practice.

·
Starlight and moonbeams
20,920 Posts

I tend to be a fan of Breedlove acoustic guitars, but any guitar will work. Fender make some really good cheap acoustics that are well made, to start off with.

You can't say something like that. I've been playing guitar since I was 16, about 15 years, and I still am not as good as, say, Jimi Hendrix or Paul McCartney.

You bring your own sound to the instrument as well. Every guitarist has their own picking and strumming style, and none of them are the same. Do you think Prince plays the same as Eric Clapton? No. But they both use Fender Stratocasters, which are the same brand of guitar.

Again with the mastering. Don't box yourself into a corner. Just play, and have fun!

And if you want to enhance your talent, practice at least 2 hours a day. If you can't do that, you have no reason to play guitar. Especially going up and down scales.

Does Bob Dylan and David Bowie have ugly singing voices? How about Ozzy Osbourne? Maybe, to some people, but they have sold millions of records.

Again, don't box yourself into a corner. You are unique. Just pick up a guitar, and run with it!

Best of luck to you, man.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for encouragement guys! I just wish years ago when i was about 14 or 15 and tried to learn i had actually put the effort needed to, now i am going to be starting kinda late at the age of 21. I want to become good at singing too, i really love music, i just hate the fact that i never put effort on learning any instruments when i was younger..

I will be buying the guitar this week or the next one, and yes, i will take at least two hours everyday to practice!

I hope i can be having fun with little frustration in a year or less, i will take this one as a life long hobby. I will be posting my improvement, just don't expect any videos of me singing until am definitely sure i've became a decent singer, at the moment i suck. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts