Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As an INFx (mostly INFJ, but I get INFP enough to not leave it out), I find myself in a strange situation. I am an introvert, so I need quiet time to recharge, and groups exhaust me. However, as an intuitive feeling type, I also crave deep and meaningful social interactions. Most of my friends are E types who have so many friends I feel like another box for them to check. They are often too busy and distracted to be there when I just need to be seen and heard. I feel like INF types tend to fly beneath the radar - I never seem to encounter them in the "real world," but I know they exist.

Anyone else feel this way? I'm feeling particularly isolated and lonely today. I went through my contacts on my phone and there was no one I felt I could call who wouldn't think I was being dramatic or silly.

·
♎ Mackinac Island Fanatic
29,134 Posts
I'm an INFJ, though I occasionally test as an ISFJ. I get terribly drained and fritzed out having to deal with people too much (and for me, "too much" really is not much at all, a mere e-mail can freak me out), but yes, at the same time, I want a really deep, meaningful connection to another likeminded soul (meaning somebody who shares the same interests and values). It's frustrating because the only way to meet such people is through idle chatter and smalltalk, getting to know people, and...I just don't have the energy or patience for that! Yet when you're not interested in making smalltalk to get to know somebody, you really limit your chances of meeting that particular person who really gets you.

Plus I tend to offend/anger lots of people who try to befriend me but I'm just not that interested in them because we have so little in common...I just can't connect to them, and they take it personally. Which just adds to my anxiety/avoidance.

So I think I understand the frustration. ;_;

·
Fading Away
588 Posts
I usually test as an INFJ, but occasionally I get INFP. I understand, sometimes i feel like I have acquaintance rather than friends. It is so hard to form meaningful relationships. They say that INFJ is the rarest personality type, we do kind of fly under the raider. My friends tend to not notice when something is wrong and I often go unnoticed. It can be tough when your weeping on the inside yet no one can tell.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's exactly it - I think we don't tend to show when we need something. I'm always afraid to ask for help because I don't want to appear needy and I REALLY don't want to be a burden. Our type is so focused on bringing out the best in others, we don't always do it in ourselves.

Sometimes when I reach out to a friend about how lonely I feel, I get a sort of trite "aw honey, we all feel that way," and then they move on, and meanwhile I still feel like no one is hearing me. It's like no one else experiences the world the way I do. Sometimes that's a blessing, but it can be a huge curse, too.

·
La Vie En Rose
1,675 Posts
If I recall correctly, I'm an INFP, but the introversion part is only slightly more than the extroversion. Sometimes I feel like I am being silly or pathetic, and I allow myself to feel silly because shaming myself isn't exactly going to make me feel better or improve the situation. I do get what you are trying to say though - I'm big on meaningful relationships. I'm okay with conversing on many levels, whether that is on superficial or deeper subjects, but I cannot stand being friends with people who I feel are superficial. I don't need someone to be similar to me, as I actually love and appreciate different personalities as you can learn so much from people, but it drains me to befriend people who I feel are superficial or there lacks deep bonding. I may keep people as acquaintances, but everyone whom I truly care for are the ones who are there for me - like actually hearing me out, analyzing the situation with me, trying to provide support and advice. Not the generic "Move on", "let it go" or "Mmmhmm." Well gosh, I might as well talk to the wall! Those type of people, are takers than givers...and although I'd like to help people out, I cannot help everyone and so I minimize my contact with such people because it's too draining and also, I just don't think it's a good idea to help someone who clearly doesn't care for me. A genuine friendship is reciprocal.

2,873 Posts
That's exactly it - I think we don't tend to show when we need something. I'm always afraid to ask for help because I don't want to appear needy and I REALLY don't want to be a burden. Our type is so focused on bringing out the best in others, we don't always do it in ourselves.

Sometimes when I reach out to a friend about how lonely I feel, I get a sort of trite "aw honey, we all feel that way," and then they move on, and meanwhile I still feel like no one is hearing me. It's like no one else experiences the world the way I do. Sometimes that's a blessing, but it can be a huge curse, too.
Yeah i'd totally agree with that. I just took a pretty exhaustive test and got INFP.

·
Registered
338 Posts
As an INFx (mostly INFJ, but I get INFP enough to not leave it out), I find myself in a strange situation. I am an introvert, so I need quiet time to recharge, and groups exhaust me. However, as an intuitive feeling type, I also crave deep and meaningful social interactions. Most of my friends are E types who have so many friends I feel like another box for them to check. They are often too busy and distracted to be there when I just need to be seen and heard. I feel like INF types tend to fly beneath the radar - I never seem to encounter them in the "real world," but I know they exist.
You did a good job to describe how I feel friend.

I've done the test a few times and it keeps coming back as INFJ. The first time I read the characteristics for INFJ was the first time I was able to look at myself in the mirror through text.

·
Registered
56 Posts

Anyone else feel this way? I'm feeling particularly isolated and lonely today. I went through my contacts on my phone and there was no one I felt I could call who wouldn't think I was being dramatic or silly.
Yes, I am INFJ all the way. Been tested twice and both were INFJ. My life is largely fantasy, escapes lot into books especiallyand spend much time behind a counter. Started out as a chemistry major in college so I prefer the inner world to the external. I am lousy at small talk and it bores me. Talk to me about world events, the cosmos, biology, and about heaven and hell ! LOL.

·
SAS Member
1,134 Posts
I know I'm an "I," but I fall near the median on all the other scales, so I'm pretty much a hodgepodge beyond the introvert classification. I'm a big ol' introvert. I've topped out every introversion scale I've ever taken.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I'm an xNTP which is probably not the typical type to be on a site like this. It took me a considerable amount of time to consider that I might have social anxiety. In fact, I don't even feel like I naturally do. But the way people respond to me and interact with each other just makes me uncomfortable

1 - 10 of 10 Posts