Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if there are any computer programmers (or related occupation) on this forum, and wonder what kind of things you work on and technologies/languages etc.

Have you found your occupation has affected conditions like SA, or does it benefit your condition by allowing you to avoid uncomfortable situations in the workplace?

Do you think working in computing can bring too much isolation, or do you find keeping up with the rapid and pace of change in technology is exhausting of your free time, and adversely affects life in general ?

I have found you are expected to just know things - yet it can take a long time to learn - and you have to do it all on top of your job.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Although I wouldn't call myself a programmer, I have moved strongly in that direction in the last year or two. I have been working with SQL and VB primarily, but dabble in various scripting languanges and am now learning c++. I have done a lot of quasi-programming in Excel. Much of this is centered around a data warehouse in ms sql server.

I think starting down the programming path was a bit of a revelation for me and SA definitely seemed to speed up that transition. It was a great way for me to both deal with my quietness in a constructive way and find an outlet for an overactive mind.

Although doing so mostly indulged my SA, there were times really knowing how to get things done helped my confidence. IT was critical to my most recent employer.

I have quite enjoyed learning off the job. I have started tackling project euler, if you're familiar with that.

I think most of the Luddites I have worked with do expect you to just know things, but after all computers are still a form of magic to them. sometimes I have been given hopelessy complex tasks, and other times there are tasks that very simple and yet others are firmly convinced they must be complex.

·
Permanently Baned
2,594 Posts
As Toxgan mentioned, it is empowering to be able to solve problems.

I have worked in embedded programming for devices (such as biomedical appliances) as well as IT systems.

It really depends. Some jobs feel like isolated design, and some feel like your are exposed to the whole fricking company's people and political issues (especially the banking/retailing IT jobs) with clients, customers, and different departments.

Some jobs you can get by with scripting and people think you are a genius for doing it [and not even have to do fully object oriented nor memory mapped code].

Also, depending on small versus large companies, you may not have all the development tools and hardware and even subject matter experts at your disposal, so it can present a challenge.

For workplace programming, things to consider:

* Client side or server side programs.

* Systems programming (executables and services for single devices) or network programming (things like application and web services that listen on ports for clients) or scripting (interpreted programs that run on top of engines) or web clients and mobile devices.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Learned many things about programming ... micro-controllers, desktop apps, web related, hardware stuff, etc. However, I am currently working on desktop apps using C# and MySQL.

Although I work in an office full of people, most of the time I do the actual programming work alone on my computer and it has been easier for me to handle my SA. The difficult part comes in when customers complain about things in the software and I have to answer to them. All in all I think it would have been more difficult if it was an occupation in another field.

·
Registered
772 Posts
I do programming but I am an Engineer so I don't do development 100% of the time. Currently, its mostly C# and SQL. But during my career I've touched Perl, VB, ASP .Net, Java and some other ones I can't even remember.
I studied Computer Science so they teach you the fundamentals of Programming. Once you know that, you can pretty much pick up any language.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for your responses

I think learning curves are steep in computing. I have carried out quite a lot of study in this field, and have the A+/N+/CCNA certifications and I taught myself web design/development also.

Most recently I have been learning Java, XML, PostgreSQL, Linux, and Python.

I wonder what you guys think of the VIM Editor, and the GIT version control system. I think these are really cool programs but with STEEP learning curves! I sometimes think they could be over the top - especially when much simpler alternatives are readily available. Do you use them ?

I gather that VIM is THE programmers editor, and moving to Linux, I thought it might be a good idea to learn it. But there is no doubt it is a paradigm from an earlier age of computing.

I really like the way GIT has been conceived and designed, though there is no question it is a considerable amount of work to start using it.

Do you think Google (or Search Engines in general) have utterly transformed this field of work ?

·
Permanently Baned
2,594 Posts
^ I don't want to start another VI versus EMACS war, but I personally prefer emacs and xemacs.

Regarding version control, who cares :).

Regarding google, it will always be down to basic berkeley style unix tcp and udp sockets. Web programming is just a natural consequence.

The real transformation happened a long fricking time ago with Bell labs/Universities with B and C UNIX and DARPA with the real invention of the university and defense networks, and semiconductor shrinkage to miniturize routing equipment over the years. There hasn't been an earth shattering new thing for a while other than optimizations and clever tricks. Even many n-th gen processors turn out to be a waste of time. If anybody thinks miniturized devices are incredible after semiconductor shrinkage, well yawn. Everything just becomes UNIX like which is "ancient".

Anything else is just a proliferation of tools, languages, shrinked semiconductor devices, and crap to keep all of us perplexed/employed or most people sharing stupid pictures and videos and over-communicating until we say screw it, I'm not working on it any more and will go do musuem curator jobs and tell little kids about extinct animals.

End Stupid Computer Anger Rant

·
Banned
5,103 Posts
Crikey, I am a web/database developer but this is way over my head. I just do the easy stuff like SQL Server and ASP.net and Oracle. I kind of like it - trying to come up with neat solutions for problems in the business. It's more of a puzzle than anything else. Only problem is all the bloody politics that goes on (I work for a huge company ugh).

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
@cavemanslaststand : I share some of your opinions. I think programming and computing in general is FUN, but it can so easily be spoiled - and you can get too much of it, I certainly have. I am bit of a lightweight to be honest, ie JavaScript/PHP/MySQL/AdobeCS - though I do have some knowledge of heavier weight technologies such as C++ and Java, plus I studied for Cisco CCNA.

It took me as long to learn VIM as to learn a programming language - it has been a culture shock for me entering the Linux world. I couldn't look at Emacs - my head would EXPLODE!

Re my question re Google - what I was refering to was the way we can now get technical information by simply Googling for it eg with sites like StackExchange - that has transformed all computing work. Years ago, obtaining technical information was a LOT more cumbersome.

@typemismatch : Hi another Scot I see - are you voting Independence? So SQL Server/Oracle is 'easy stuff'? I wanted to get into stuff like that but never got the chance - I am pretty good with RDMS though, and I have good experience with MySQL and PostgreSQL. And I agree that company politics is the hardest part of the job - I used to work for a big company.

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
I do programming but I am an Engineer so I don't do development 100% of the time. Currently, its mostly C# and SQL. But during my career I've touched Perl, VB, ASP .Net, Java and some other ones I can't even remember.
I studied Computer Science so they teach you the fundamentals of Programming. Once you know that, you can pretty much pick up any language.
do you know any book that teaches that very good ?

·
Villain in glasses
3,511 Posts
Le me. But le me just a student. I never understood the vi vs emacs debate I just use three editors eclipse for java, ninjaide for python and notepad++ for everything else.

You can't say that for something like Eclipse.
bro...bro eclipse is an amazing ide.

·
Registered
154,234 Posts
I was wondering if there are any computer programmers (or related occupation) on this forum, and wonder what kind of things you work on and technologies/languages etc.

Have you found your occupation has affected conditions like SA, or does it benefit your condition by allowing you to avoid uncomfortable situations in the workplace?

Do you think working in computing can bring too much isolation, or do you find keeping up with the rapid and pace of change in technology is exhausting of your free time, and adversely affects life in general ?

I have found you are expected to just know things - yet it can take a long time to learn - and you have to do it all on top of your job.
I have meetings, presentations, etc. just like anyone else.
I program in C++, PERL, and KSH.

It all depends on the job....the pace isn't all that fast, but it does creep up.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I'm currently trying to find software development jobs so I have something to do during the 6 months before grad school. I had an interview today and have one setup next Monday. The one today seemed to go well. He said the 2nd round will be a programming test because there weren't technical questions on this first round. It sounded like an interesting job, and they don't expect you to know everything .. just be a fast learner. It will be a C#/.net/VB6/SQL job. They said there may also be android and iphone development involved.

And decent money to be made ... $25-$30 an hour ... The interview on Monday will be for a job making roughly $50K, and this is all entry-level stuff.

·
Permanently Baned
2,594 Posts
I am a Software engineer, I'm a Java Programmer Certified but I can't get a job because of the anxiety, it's been like three years since I'm not programming I think I forgot how to.

The last 'job' I had was a small application in Delphi 7 (I know :( ).
And ocasionally make some easy websites (mostly PHP), right now I'm trying to set up my own server with Ubuntu (Old PC) to host web applications on JSP but is very tedious.
Don't put down your time with Delphi! As you know, things like Visual Basic (which I still think is a misnomer and looks more like pascal than basic) and even java/C# revolve in a similar circle.

I'm ancient, and pascal was among the first things I learned after older basic. Back then I had a difficult time with object-oriented programming, but it later helped me learn c++ as I struggled to make the transition from c.

Hope you find work soon. There were about 3-6 years where I gave up on programming and it was no longer any fun and took up working in physical science (basically working in a lab scrubbing glassware). Some biologists and biochemists had trouble with some buggy computer applications originally developed by in house programmers long gone, and that's when I took the opportunity to get back into it.

·
Permanently Baned
2,594 Posts
I'm currently trying to find software development jobs so I have something to do during the 6 months before grad school. I had an interview today and have one setup next Monday. The one today seemed to go well. He said the 2nd round will be a programming test because there weren't technical questions on this first round. It sounded like an interesting job, and they don't expect you to know everything .. just be a fast learner. It will be a C#/.net/VB6/SQL job. They said there may also be android and iphone development involved.

And decent money to be made ... $25-$30 an hour ... The interview on Monday will be for a job making roughly $50K, and this is all entry-level stuff.
Good luck next Monday!

Did they give you an indication what the programming test will entail so you can prepare?

If you feel like it, let us know if you got the job.

I'm currently trying to port a Visual C++ desktop application over to Objective C (for Mac and later also iOS) because people internally here "want" it.

We are also trying to move some of our Windows CE code over to android also because the internal clients "want" it.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Good luck next Monday!

Did they give you an indication what the programming test will entail so you can prepare?

If you feel like it, let us know if you got the job.

I'm currently trying to port a Visual C++ desktop application over to Objective C (for Mac and later also iOS) because people internally here "want" it.

We are also trying to move some of our Windows CE code over to android also because the internal clients "want" it.
Thanks! He said it will have something to do with having a database and a windows form and connecting the two....I'll have to brush up on windows forms.

·
Registered
772 Posts
do you know any book that teaches that very good ?
Sorry its being so long for me I can't remember the book titles that we read. What I do remember though was very strong focus on Programming Methodology (Object Oriented, Functional, Logical etc ... ), good Software design concepts and fundamentals, Software development life cycle, Database design, etc ... we never learn any of the new fancy languages. We did C as a start, then Java to learn OO, SQL for database, Prolog for Logical Programming and AI, and Haskell as well.
Like I said, if you focus on the fundamentals you'll find it doesn't matter what language comes out, you'll always have the ability to self learn and pick it up relatively quickly.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts