Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody getting disability for SA? I feel like I could qualify, but the problem is that I have not previously worked, and supplemental disability is only given to people who have like $500 worth of assets. It says a person can qualify for social security disability if a parent was insured and the child was afflicted before the age of 18 (or 22 I think). Well, I'm 26 now, and I've definitely had SA since I was at least 13 (as I bet most of you have). The problem with SA is that you don't want to seek help, and you don't want to speak to anyone. The honest truth is that under that exception, I should qualify, but how can I prove it? Does anyone think I have a shot? Would it help if I got the backing of a psychiatrist?

·
Done with SA
1,818 Posts
My mom works with a lot of people getting disability and you definitely sound like you would qualify. I know that most, if not all, of the people who have been approved have been seeing a therapist and/or psychiatrist and that has helped them get approved rather quickly.
You could try to seek it on your own, without any backing, but it could be difficult and you might have to apply more than once.
Also, if you don't want to go in to apply, you can always do it online. You will have to go in for an appointment or two, though, before you get approved.

·
Registered
928 Posts
In Australia, not a chance. Ive spent 2 years fighting them even with doctors certificates, now they just made my situation worse.
My advice, find a job that you are comfortable in, now. I realize this is going to be hard, but if your government agency is as unhelpful and uncompassionate (is that even a word? lol) as ours your better off finding that job quickly.
Ive got 2 days left before they make me look for work on their time 3 days a week! Argh! Thats just raised my anxiety sky high!

·
Registered
296 Posts
Try it, or you won't know. This kind of thing ranges from super easy to impossible depending on where you live and who you deal with at the offices. Help is always out there somewhere, so even if it doesn't work don't be discouraged into looking into other options.

·
SAS Veteran
1,841 Posts
I have applied for SSI. I will have to see a psychiatrist for the SSI thing so they can "prove" I am disabled. Then there will be other people to make the determination. Likely they will turn us down but you can fight it simply by getting a lawyer to handle it. Usually you won't owe a thing unless you win the case. Whatever comes up I am prepared to fight this. I SO deserve it. I would look into it if I were you.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Yes, you can get it easily here. I got a Doctor's note and it took less than a month for me to get my Employment and Support allowance. I get £94 a week, and in three days it's being upped to £100 a week.

No lawyers whatsoever, though I don't why the hell you'd even need a lawyer *confused*. Just ring up the jobcentre and away you go, sorted.

·
Registered
575 Posts
I qualify, but I think I would get too comfortable,
and would probably rather struggle by with the small amount of $, and
prehaps have less motivation to get better if I knew it ment that would get
cut + having to job hunt.

·
UnDeRrAtED
34,712 Posts
yeah but getting a "good" lawyer cost money.

·
Registered
984 Posts
They usually turn everyone down the first two times, expect to appeal a lot especially since mental disabilities like SA are harder to prove even with documentation. I'd say your chances are better if you are still a minor and have your parents file for you. I've thought about filing but know I would never ever be accepted. It would be worth your while to get a good lawyer on it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts