Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have suffered from social anxiety for a long time. Having CBT has allowed me to get over what I think is the 'minor stuff', such as making calls, going into shops on my own etc. But I still feel very dragged down by how I think others perceive me. I wish I was not so bothered about other peoples opinion. What is the best way of stopping negative recurring thoughts and feeling comfortable in your own skin?

Thanks

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi ghf! I've been interested in CBT myself, but haven't had the chance to experience it yet. I can relate to what you describe. I find meditation and exercise has helped me a lot. It took time (almost a year now) and patience, but I'm definitely seeing positive changes in myself and thus, in my life. Negative thinking is a bad habit that's hard to shake off, and even the most positive people have their bad days too. For me, whenever I catch myself thinking negatively I stop and just notice without judging myself or beating myself up about it. In just noticing, you are creating self awareness. And forgive yourself, tell yourself that you forgive yourself for your faults and thinking negatively. This will help you let go of past negative thoughts/ feelings and move forward in a positive direction.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
995 Posts
Hi!

I don't really think there's one right answer to your question. There are different things that work for different people. I do think that noticing when you're being negative and trying to change your outlook to a more positive one can be helpful to a lot of people, but there may be other things going on that keep you feeling negative even then. At any rate, I'm still trying to completely figure that out myself.

·
Registered
154,234 Posts
Welcome, GHF! :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
what helped me alot is realizing what we focus on effects everything. When meeting someone instead of focusing on what they think of you. Focus on what they are saying what they are wearing and how to respond when its your turn to talk. If a professional basket ballplayer is shooting a game winning shot he will do better at focusing on how hard to shoot what angle ect instead of focusing on everyone he will let down if he misses like the coach his fans team mates.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Hi ghf I wish I could tell you but I'm still trying to figure it out. I constantly think other people see me as wierd and awkward. I can't keep eye contact and when I do look someone in the eyes I feel like I might be looking to much. Arggg I mean how do overcome being so socially awkward.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts