Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really don't find myself ever second guessing myself, or feeling nervous at any time except that I might feel nervous. I hate that I sit there in a conversation, interested and comfortable, and for no reason at all, ill get a bad feeling in the pit of my stomach, and start tensing up. I hate it. Even if I have no idea why i'm tensing up, it just happens. I know some hesitant thoughts probably caused my SA in the first place, but I swear if i could eliminate the adrenaline and tenseness for one day, I wouldnt have to feel nervous and become hesitant about doing activities because of feeling nervous.

Its like whatever caused it is gone, but the vicious cycle of feeling nervous about getting nervous starts and it can't be stopped.

· Registered
606 Posts
I know what you mean. I try to hide the the fact that I'm anxious with terrible results. I'm always twitching and writhing around. I find the adrenaline really helpful because I feel like I can do anything. What helps me best is try to get a control of my emotions and replace bad thoughts with good ones immediatley.

· Registered
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the thing is I don't even have bad thoughts. Its just a natural reaction now. I get that adrenaline feeling in my stomach (never been a fan of it, I hate rollercoasters) and i get all tensed up. thats it

· Registered
199 Posts
I have the same problem. What I am supposed to be doing this week by recommendation from my therapist is to start to get used to just "allowing" the nervousness to take its course. I've heard this before and didn't really think it was worth trying. But you might try to challenge your SA and say something like, "Go ahead and do your worst. I don't care if I appear nervous to this person. So what if he/she thinks I am nervous". Of course, it probably would be best to try it out on someone who can't affect your job status or anything else that's important. Anyway, he told me the key to getting over SAD is saying "F*** you SA. Go ahead ahead and make me nervous. I honestly couldn't give a crap". Easier said than done. Anyways, I'm still in the process of testing this hypothesis out.

· Registered
54 Posts
the thing is I don't even have bad thoughts. Its just a natural reaction now. I get that adrenaline feeling in my stomach (never been a fan of it, I hate rollercoasters) and i get all tensed up. thats it
I don't know if the strange feeling I get in my chest when I get nervous or frustrated is akin to your adrenaline feeling in your stomach, but I can definitely relate to the whole "nervous about being nervous" thing.

So many times I would be chilling with my friends, and I'd actually be relaxed and having fun -- and then, somewhere along where I'm thinking of saying my next sentence, for a split second I hesitate, and then I wonder if I'm getting nervous, and then I get frustrated that I'm not relaxing anymore (Because I don't get to relax enough as it is), and then I get nervous because since I'm no longer relaxed words are no longer just "popping out" of me, and instead I actually have to calculate my sentences and what I want to say next.

I do my best to focus on everything that my friends might be talking about and try to imagine something about it, and sometimes that works for me. I don't know about you, but maybe it'll help.

And yah, just like bht mentioned, I say if you aren't allowed to get nervous in front of your friends then they're not your friends =]

· Banned
749 Posts
I really don't find myself ever second guessing myself, or feeling nervous at any time except that I might feel nervous. I hate that I sit there in a conversation, interested and comfortable, and for no reason at all, ill get a bad feeling in the pit of my stomach, and start tensing up. I hate it. Even if I have no idea why i'm tensing up, it just happens. I know some hesitant thoughts probably caused my SA in the first place, but I swear if i could eliminate the adrenaline and tenseness for one day, I wouldnt have to feel nervous and become hesitant about doing activities because of feeling nervous.

Its like whatever caused it is gone, but the vicious cycle of feeling nervous about getting nervous starts and it can't be stopped.
I get exactly the same problem. Sometimes i just get anxious for no reason, and start thinking about my (lack of) future.

Its really awful.

· Registered
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't know if the strange feeling I get in my chest when I get nervous or frustrated is akin to your adrenaline feeling in your stomach, but I can definitely relate to the whole "nervous about being nervous" thing.

So many times I would be chilling with my friends, and I'd actually be relaxed and having fun -- and then, somewhere along where I'm thinking of saying my next sentence, for a split second I hesitate, and then I wonder if I'm getting nervous, and then I get frustrated that I'm not relaxing anymore (Because I don't get to relax enough as it is), and then I get nervous because since I'm no longer relaxed words are no longer just "popping out" of me, and instead I actually have to calculate my sentences and what I want to say next.

I do my best to focus on everything that my friends might be talking about and try to imagine something about it, and sometimes that works for me. I don't know about you, but maybe it'll help.

And yah, just like bht mentioned, I say if you aren't allowed to get nervous in front of your friends then they're not your friends =]
the thing is, my anxiety isnt even as ovbious as this. The moment I start talking to someone I don't know, it just overwhelms me. I don't think about it at all. I don't think "oh no I might be nervous." that comes before events i know i have to attend. When its a spontaneous meeting, it comes out of absolutely nowhere

· Registered
230 Posts
I not only live in misery, I live knowing that I'm only living to experience another day of misery tomorrow. The end of each and every moment of grief, is always a dichotomy: It's over, for now, but there surely will be another one soon. And that is what is really depressing- knowing that the same thing will happen again, but being totally unable to do anything to prevent it, except living a hollow life, and hiding from the very experiences and acquaintances that I crave.

· Registered
146,606 Posts
It's classic anxiety. You feel bad when you feel good because you think you should be feeling bad......or you feel bad about feeling bad. With SA, it's a no win until you break out of the cycle.

· Registered
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I not only live in misery, I live knowing that I'm only living to experience another day of misery tomorrow. The end of each and every moment of grief, is always a dichotomy: It's over, for now, but there surely will be another one soon. And that is what is really depressing- knowing that the same thing will happen again, but being totally unable to do anything to prevent it, except living a hollow life, and hiding from the very experiences and acquaintances that I crave.
thats pretty deep. and depressing. i always try to keep something in the future to motivate me. Doctors appointment in june (havent told anyone yet) summer (im always less stressed, and therefore less tense/socially anxious overall), and i am going to try a supplement plan in the fall once i get a job

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.