Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to figure out the theory behind the anxiety-producing aspects of consuming cannabis. In some, more highly-susceptible people, anxiety attacks are possible. I think having an anxiety disorder means you are more likely to have an anxiety attack. Anyway, I'm trying to figure out the exact neurotransmitter mechanisms of cannabis, to see exactly which chemicals are being changed to produce the anxiety. Anyone know of any links to sites detailing these mechanisms?

·
Registered
33 Posts
If you have anxiety problems I'd avoid cannabis. Cannabis in large doses can make anyone anxious. I find that it essentially reflects the mood I'm already in an potentiates it. If I get really stoned though I get into quite a deep and low mood where I start worrying about bad things in my life.

But to be honest, I'm not really much of a fan of cannabis and don't really get the attraction that others get. I've smoked it on and off for years but it's certainly at the low end of my favourite legal and illegal drugs.

The effects also vary a bit with the different strains. A lot of the stuff floating around the UK is too strong.

·
Banned
1,376 Posts
due to selective plant breeding it now has much more THC in it than before also here its common for teenagers who smoke it all day every day to go violently crazy and to be locked up

its dangerous

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
I'm trying to figure out the theory behind the anxiety-producing aspects of consuming cannabis. In some, more highly-susceptible people, anxiety attacks are possible. I think having an anxiety disorder means you are more likely to have an anxiety attack. Anyway, I'm trying to figure out the exact neurotransmitter mechanisms of cannabis, to see exactly which chemicals are being changed to produce the anxiety. Anyone know of any links to sites detailing these mechanisms?
My guess would be that perhaps THC or another cannabinoid is more lipophilic (fat soluble) than the others (such as CBD), meaning initial effects will keep the THC/CBD balance, but over time THC builds up in fat tissue and dominates without the others. Or, it could be that one of the pro-psychotic cannabinoids is metabolised slower than others, accumulating over time.

It could also be due to chronically increased cannabinoid/dopamine transmission decreasing acetylcholine.

due to selective plant breeding it now has much more THC in it than before also here its common for teenagers who smoke it all day every day to go violently crazy and to be locked up

its dangerous
It's not about the increased THC really, it's the lack of relative increase in other cannabinoids which moderate effects. As long as all are increased, higher potency cannabis would just be like vodka vs. beer; you drink/smoke less to achieve the same effects.

Only the level of usage determines the danger of cannabis, and even if you smoked too much and went crazy, that's still a lot better than the early death you are all but guaranteed from alcohol/tobacco abuse. Psychosis is not a good enough reason to keep it illegal when you consider the harms of legal drugs.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Cannabis is NOT dangerous if used responsibly, just like every single other thing ever created. Smoking cannabis will not immediately make you anxious or give you a panic attack unless you already are in the middle of one. Smoking too much can cause anxiety and paranoia and other problems, but this isn't because you are smoking the drug, it is because you are ABUSING it. Everyone here knows how dangerous drugs like Klonopin and antidepressants can be if abused, in fact people are now buying Klonopin from dealers and getting high off that. Does that mean that the drug is bad and that no one should use it? No. It means that the idiots who abuse it are going to abuse something anyways and just happened to pick this one. If it helps more people than it hurts, then it shouldn't be illegal, especially since smoking cannabis is not linked to any sort of physical health deterioration that does not coincide with smoking any substance regularly and it is not linked to any sort of mental health deterioration unless it is highly, highly concentrated (hundreds of times what is used now) or used irresponsibly.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My guess would be that perhaps THC or another cannabinoid is more lipophilic (fat soluble) than the others (such as CBD), meaning initial effects will keep the THC/CBD balance, but over time THC builds up in fat tissue and dominates without the others. Or, it could be that one of the pro-psychotic cannabinoids is metabolised slower than others, accumulating over time.

It could also be due to chronically increased cannabinoid/dopamine transmission decreasing acetylcholine.
Do you know what exact mechanisms cause the anxiety though? Like how does THC trigger noradrenaline or adrenaline to be released?

·
Registered
2,661 Posts

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Well cannabis use for medicinal purposes is legal in the state I live in. Because of that, I can choose what "strain" I can smoke. You normally don't have that choice if you're buying from a drug dealer. Anyway, indicas usually have less of a stimulating effect than sativas. The only time I have an issue with smoking where I get paranoid, "flip out", etc is when I smoke a strain that's more heavy on the sativa side. Here's a link for example or you could just search google for "sativa vs indica" for more on the subject.

BTW, I only smoke A bowl at night and just for my trouble with sleeping. I think it's better than just relying on xanax or klonopin for me to fall asleep, but then again I'm no MD.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Cannabis is NOT dangerous if used responsibly, just like every single other thing ever created. Smoking cannabis will not immediately make you anxious or give you a panic attack unless you already are in the middle of one. Smoking too much can cause anxiety and paranoia and other problems, but this isn't because you are smoking the drug, it is because you are ABUSING it. Everyone here knows how dangerous drugs like Klonopin and antidepressants can be if abused, in fact people are now buying Klonopin from dealers and getting high off that. Does that mean that the drug is bad and that no one should use it? No. It means that the idiots who abuse it are going to abuse something anyways and just happened to pick this one. If it helps more people than it hurts, then it shouldn't be illegal, especially since smoking cannabis is not linked to any sort of physical health deterioration that does not coincide with smoking any substance regularly and it is not linked to any sort of mental health deterioration unless it is highly, highly concentrated (hundreds of times what is used now) or used irresponsibly.
I agree. Did anyone hear about California might legalize it because they can raise 1.4 billion to pay off that huge debt they have? they said its going to be $50 an ounce. lol thats pretty cheap compared to what I used to pay. I sometimes paid 50 for 1/8.
also idk if this is for sure, i just think its being considered.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
I agree. Did anyone hear about California might legalize it because they can raise 1.4 billion to pay off that huge debt they have? they said its going to be $50 an ounce. lol thats pretty cheap compared to what I used to pay. I sometimes paid 50 for 1/8.
also idk if this is for sure, i just think its being considered.
Schweeet. Seeing as the UK is America's b*tch, this is a good omen.

·
Registered
33 Posts

its dangerous
You should become a tabloid journalist with sensationalist bull**** like that.

·
Registered
33 Posts
CB1 induces a reduction in GABAergic transmission, which could also explain why cannabis is so bad on benzo withdrawal (any why it's so awesome with benzos). I'm not 100% sure though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cannabinoid_receptor_type_1
I smoked weed during GBL withdrawal (very similar to benzo withdrawal) and felt that it helped tbh but my withdrawal was fairly minor.

Well cannabis use for medicinal purposes is legal in the state I live in. Because of that, I can choose what "strain" I can smoke. You normally don't have that choice if you're buying from a drug dealer. Anyway, indicas usually have less of a stimulating effect than sativas. The only time I have an issue with smoking where I get paranoid, "flip out", etc is when I smoke a strain that's more heavy on the sativa side. Here's a link for example or you could just search google for "sativa vs indica" for more on the subject.

BTW, I only smoke A bowl at night and just for my trouble with sleeping. I think it's better than just relying on xanax or klonopin for me to fall asleep, but then again I'm no MD.
Without doubt a controlled amount of cannabis would be far better to help you sleep than relying on benzos. Cannabis barely has any physical addiction compared to benzos, which can be hellish and potentially fatal. Benzo tolerance shoots up too. Although xanax has a fairly short half-life compared to other benzos, it will still effect you longer than weed will, also.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
One thing I would also like to add about smoking marijuana. The anxiety doesn't show up if I'm just hanging out with a friend or 2 that I feel really comfortable with or just by myself. If I'm hanging with a bunch of people I don't know, that's when the anxiety starts to act up. It depends on your surroundings and how well you know yourself. If you smoke too much, it will increase the likelihood of your anxiety to increase. Just because you roll up a joint doesn't mean you have to smoke the whole thing. Know your limits and feel comfortable before going into it.

I took Klonopin for a semester and withdrawing off of that is much more worse than taking a break from smoking marijuana or even stopping. Ugh. I would not wish that upon anyone.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I think there is an "indirect" link b/w cannabis use and anxiety. I used it regularly at Uni and had awful panic attacks. I remember it getting so bad I could barely walk into the Uni bar and times and once in there struggled to order a pint at the bar ! Anyway, yes I was using cannabis, but I was also drinking heavily, had a poor diet, didn’t exercise etc. ALL these things contributed to the anxiety, however a drugs councillor would only blame the cannabis use (should say I was also using ecstasy as well!!)

·
Registered
15 Posts
I think that's f**ckin BS. Most people would have you believe that but from years of personal experience I know full well that weed IS dangerous to SOME people like ME. Just like how SOME people can't handle their alcohol and become complete f**ck wits and loose it and I don't. It's all about different body chemistries. And if used responsibly? That's like saying someone who is allergic to peanuts can eat them if they do it responsibly!! I never abused weed, but i did smoke it regularly in moderate amounts and my anxiety in general did increase from it, along with how often I was anxious and paranoid when I was high. However most people can smoke it, enjoy it, and never get any mental problems from it, and good on them...I know they make up most of the population and make it extremely hard on people like me when I try to explain why I'm turning down a session...You bring up some valid points but please please please do not generalize everyone in this! It would be nice for the people who can handle cannabis also accept the people who can't. Issues in this world are never black or white.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
I become completely paranoid as well after just a few nips. Never understood the people that want to legalize it or consider it a "soft drug". Probably not a coincidence but way more stoners than coke users or ampethamine users in psy wards as well.

·
Registered
514 Posts
I become completely paranoid as well after just a few nips. Never understood the people that want to legalize it or consider it a "soft drug". Probably not a coincidence but way more stoners than coke users or ampethamine users in psy wards as well.
Because a lot of the people who want it legalized don't have SA/have cancer, and don't freak out when they get high.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts