Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I notice that when im eating around alot of people or with someone who makes me nervous,i find it very hard to eat my food. My mouth drys up because im anxious then i take ages to eat because i feel all eye's are on me,im also afraid that im being a messy eater so while everyone else has finished eating i feel stupid because im still sitting there just getting started.

Anyone else get this?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I get that way too... I go out almost every night to eat with a friend of mine who is extremely thin, and even though I too am thin I feel like people are judging what I eat... like if I eat mor than her I feel like people will notice... I don't even know how to explain it, but yeah I know how you feel. And god forbid she gets up to go to the bathroom or something... then I have a panic attack because I'm alone... it's friggen awful!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm not like this, but I have a friend who is. When we go out to eat, she has trouble finishing the food, and sometimes even eating it at all, because she feels anxiety. I kind of feel like a pig around her, but I know it's her anxiety that makes it hard to eat in public.

·
She-Wolf
5,985 Posts
Yeah, this is pretty common for social phobics (and others actually). I get it when I'm in front of a guy I don't know very well or that I am attracted to...I don't know if it's the whole eating thing, I think it's more that I get a lot of anxiety, my stomach gets upset, my whole body is really tense so my movements feel really awkward and forced, my jaw is tense so it's hard to even chew the food...so I really don't want to eat and it's really hard to.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Yeah, I have heard a lot of people with SA have a problem eating in front of other people. It's never bothered me much, but that's usually because I'm out with a family member who can keep me distracted. I imagine if I was out alone or with someone I didn't know well, I'd be a lot more nervous.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
I have this same problem, where i get panicky and thus, lose my appetite quickly when i start eating or don't have on in the first place. I don't eat out at restaurants.

·
Registered
994 Posts
I do if I'm around a new person...I drop the food, something goes flying across the table, once when I was terribly stressed (scared) I wasn't thinking, cutting a piece of meat, I threw it on the floor, for my Mom's dog.....only we were in a very nice restaurant..........In a booth once, I went to bring up a piece of prime rib, it hit the man behind me in the neck, sounds funny now, but that's what happens when Im really scared.....With a potential employer, business meeting, if they suggest meeting for breakfast or lunch, I............

·
Registered
196 Posts
I get like this too. But for me when I am nervous and eating food and then I try to swallow it, it feels like I am going to choke on my food. So I normally keep something to drink in front of me while eating.

·
Registered
364 Posts
i remember someone once gave me dry wheatbix (i think this is something only New Zealanish -- basically, a really basic cerial food but shaped in a rectangle)
Having a strange disesae called SA, i had no way of refusing, even though the idea of eating cereal without some fluid is fairly crazy. But i bought the idea, and went ahead. Wasn't pretty at all.

Anyway, the point is sometimes you don't have water around, and are forced to eat something which by itself tastes like eating dry leafs . (I actually though i would reveal my dislike of this food, so i never asked water). Never get yourself into this situation.

·
Registered
19 Posts
yea i cant eat/drink next or infront of other pepole, i feel like all the eyes on me watch me and i just cant stand it and what i hate the most that in holiday(jews holidays) all the family come to visit and i have to eat next to all of them, usally i just eat alitlle and go away from the table and eat alone after evry one leave

G

·
Its a disaster if i have to eat soup infront of new people my hands shaking really badly. :lol I get nervous also and eat extremely fast (if u have food in your mouth you cant talk :lol ) but then im the first to finish and then i get more nervous as im sitting there mute not knowing what to say.
However its much better than years ago...i can eat with people i know in a restaurant easy.

·
SAS Veteran
1,841 Posts
missnat84 said:
I notice that when im eating around alot of people or with someone who makes me nervous,i find it very hard to eat my food. My mouth drys up because im anxious then i take ages to eat because i feel all eye's are on me,im also afraid that im being a messy eater so while everyone else has finished eating i feel stupid because im still sitting there just getting started.

Anyone else get this?
:popcorn
Yep thats me. I HATE eating around people. Sometimes I just lose my appetite. Other times I feel I am being gross when I eat and that people may not like the way I chew,etc.
I have a harder time refusing food because then people actually do say something like "why don't you eat?" or "Is that all your having?"

·
Banned
165 Posts
I have allergies to food preservatives. It always such a hassle for me to know what I can eat I usually avoid eating out.

I also hate to bring food into work for lunch. There is always some nosey co-worker who wants to know what your eating. Since I'm only 5mins from work I usually just go home for lunch.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I think we all look a little odd when we eat, who cares, we're not freaks

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
I have anxiety when eating around people, especially people I am not that familiar with. OMG it sucks so bad. I try to distract myself and stay focused on the food. Either that or I allow myself some time to calm down before I take a bite to eat. I am slowly making progress.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm like that. I have had problems eating in front of people for the longest time. Usually my mom and I go out to eat on weekends and I always have us sit in the booth that's in the corner and I'll sit on the side that's facing the wall away from everyone else. If we end up having to sit anywhere else where there's people around me I'll get anxious and not be able to eat a whole lot. I wouldn't even be able to go there if I had to go by myself.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts