Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
on auto-pilot
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wondering if any of you are experiencing the same thing...if so, i'd like to hear what you have to say on the subject. - I've noticed that as my SA worsened, i've felt more child-like fears that i don't remember having this severely before.

I'm as afraid of the dark as ever, turning on each light as i walk further across the house. I'm afraid of outside the curtain when i'm in the shower, and of what's behind it when i'm going to the bathroom. I can't look into mirrors in the dark without scaring myself by imagining something behind me! It's getting to be embarrassing, and i'm thinking maybe i developed these habits from being home too much?

It's not only certain nights, like after watching a scary movie, it's every single day i'm scaring myself silly over opening a door! I want to be able to watch a scary movie without it effecting me, cause i love them. Does anyone else have an irrational fear similar? Do you believe it escalated because i've been cooped up at home???​

·
Registered
375 Posts
Yeah, when my anxiety was at my worst I was easily shaken. When you have anxiety, it's like your body is telling you that you're in danger when you really aren't. So it makes sense that little things would scare you. Thank goodness for meds...

·
Banned
545 Posts
Funny. I am noticing I am having a lot of child-like fears recently, just like this. Things like walking down a corridor if a tv is on and flashing freaks me out. I can't go outside for long because I constantly feel like someone or something is watching me from lots of places, around corners, behind trees, etc.. All these fears that never bothered me after childhood.

Not really sure what causes it.

·
Nowhere Man
2,415 Posts
I also get irrational fears from time to time. Like running up the stairs on your own at night when everyone else is gone to bed. Although to be honest, I think most people experience these problems occasionally, just that some are more open to admit it than others.

·
Registered
585 Posts
I was terrified of things like the dark and having to walk around the house when no one else was home as a kid. If I was in one end of the house and everyone else was in the opposite end, I'd sprint to them and feel absolutely terrified of something grabbing me. I've gotten over a lot of that by now, but it still comes back from time to time.

·
on auto-pilot
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just feel like its gotten worse, and i'm worried its gonna effect my life. You'd think i'd grow out of it by now. Even the space under my desk scares me sometimes and i gotta put my feet up! lol. But i guess high levels of anxiety makes you feel in danger, you're right.

I sometimes fantasize about moving out on my own, then i think about this and wonder if i'd be scared all the time. Well, my wild imagination helps with writing atleast! ^^; Thanks for the input guys!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Unfortunately, I too have experienced the same thing due to my social anxiety and OCD. I remember thinking that bad things were going to happen to people -- for no particular reason at all. I had a whole bunch of irrational fears that yes, something like a child would think of. I was always afraid that other people were going to come after me too. Fear of nothing. o_O

·
Daydreaming
586 Posts
I get like this too! I think that something might be behind the shower curtain that's bad and other things that others have already mentioned too. :um

·
Du
553 Posts
I feel as there are hidden cameras in my bathroom haha.

Before I go to bed I make sure all doors are locked and check the downstairs bathroom, closet and garage. LOL, I open the door quickly and am ready to find the culprit and attack anyone who dares enter my house. So far, I've only been disturbed by a mouse, haha.

·
Cool Cat
1,017 Posts
I've always had 'child like fears' but they've gotten better in the past year or so. I used to be very afraid of the dark, especially the basement and upstairs, but afraid of both places in the light as well. I made myself face my fears a few times and it's not really a hindrance anymore, although my fears always come right back if I watch a scary movie, for a few days.

I tried watching a whole bunch in a row a couple times to see if I would become less afraid, but that didn't really work.
I mean, I still run upstairs from the basement after I turn out the lights, but it's more out of habit now.

·
user account closed
1,249 Posts
Yeah, when my anxiety was at my worst I was easily shaken. When you have anxiety, it's like your body is telling you that you're in danger when you really aren't. So it makes sense that little things would scare you. Thank goodness for meds...
yes

anxiety + irrational fears = hell

·
on auto-pilot
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Haha, my parents have made me terrified of strangers. "Live in the dark and the world is threatening," is a lyric i can relate to perfectly - from Prayer by Disturbed. I just think as we isolate ourselves maybe our anxiety grows further into other areas! I read up on phobia of the dark too, and it says usually it develops after something traumatizing, which i cannot remember a thing like that. But my god, basements are the worst! And no, i cannot imagine horror movies helping! Lmao. But good for you Tangerine! =]

·
Registered
3,836 Posts
When this song came out I did have problems with closing my eyes and washing my hair! I was a freshman in highschool. It made me feel a little better. I can do that now without a problem today I can say :)

I'm just an average man with an average life
I work from nive to five, hey hell I pay the price
All I want is to be left alone in my average home
But why do I always feel like I'm in the Twilight Zone
CHORUS:
I always feel that somebody's watchin' me
And I have no privacy
I always feel that somebody's watchin' me
Is it just a dream?
When I come home at night
I bolt the door real tight
People call me on the phone I'm trying to avoid
Well, can the people on TV see me or am I just paranoid
CHORUS
When I'm in the shower, I'm afraid to wash my hair
I might open my eyes and find someone standing there
People say I'm crazy, just a little touched
But maybe showers remind me of Psycho too much
That's why...
I always feel like somebody's watching me
Who's playing tricks on me
Tell me it can't be
I don't know anymore
Are the neighbors watching me
Well is the mailman watching me
And I don't feel safe anymore, oh what a mess
I wonder who's watching me now?
Who?
The IRS? I always feel like somebody's watching me
Who's playing tricks on me
I can't enjoy my tea!

·
on auto-pilot
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Haha @ Sunshine009

I love that song! ^_^ But yeah, even in the shower my imagination scares me a lot. I used to looooooove taking showers in the dark too, but now i can't. XD

·
Banned
10 Posts
I am wondering if any of you are experiencing the same thing...if so, i'd like to hear what you have to say on the subject. - I've noticed that as my SA worsened, i've felt more child-like fears that i don't remember having this severely before.

I'm as afraid of the dark as ever, turning on each light as i walk further across the house. I'm afraid of outside the curtain when i'm in the shower, and of what's behind it when i'm going to the bathroom. I can't look into mirrors in the dark without scaring myself by imagining something behind me! It's getting to be embarrassing, and i'm thinking maybe i developed these habits from being home too much?

It's not only certain nights, like after watching a scary movie, it's every single day i'm scaring myself silly over opening a door! I want to be able to watch a scary movie without it effecting me, cause i love them. Does anyone else have an irrational fear similar? Do you believe it escalated because i've been cooped up at home???​
I have all those fears too... the more I think of them, the more they scare me and effect me. But what`s even worse is how I feel inside my insane little head. I always feel the presence of death lerking all around me, I am always bothered or troubled about nothing, literally nothing that I can think of that would be causing the worry. I am stuck in my head all the time, so I torture myself from the inside. My anxiety is subtle, only making appearances during moments where everyone else in my family is comfortable with the atmosphere. But this shouldn`t be a surprise to me, I know what the apparition of fear looks like. It`s even as black as space, and it`s experienced during your most vulnerable state of mind, i.e., sleep paralysis (old hag syndrome).

·
on auto-pilot
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have all those fears too... the more I think of them, the more they scare me and effect me. But what`s even worse is how I feel inside my insane little head. I always feel the presence of death lerking all around me, I am always bothered or troubled about nothing, literally nothing that I can think of that would be causing the worry. I am stuck in my head all the time, so I torture myself from the inside. My anxiety is subtle, only making appearances during moments where everyone else in my family is comfortable with the atmosphere. But this shouldn`t be a surprise to me, I know what the apparition of fear looks like. It`s even as black as space, and it`s experienced during your most vulnerable state of mind, i.e., sleep paralysis (old hag syndrome).
I'm not entirely sure what you mean, but i get "troubled about nothing" when all i have to do is think of something scary and get scared and run for the light-switch! If i see a picture of a certain something, it upsets me for the rest of the night usually.

·
Registered
2 Posts
i dont understand, everyone here says its a condition to have depression, anxiety, escalated fears and social outcasting (that 1 feels great).

i dont consider it a condition i consider it a way of life..
i have been sad, lonely,depressed, my whole life, and ive never taken meds for any of my 3 major depressions..

ive never known there was a way out ive never felt excited or happy or love because i have no family and minimal friends, a virgin, 18 years old, no girlfriend.. yeah the list of GREAT things can go on.

id just like to be happy you know?

you'd think after 12-13 / 18 years of no love or respect, only sadness and emptiness in an empty house, that id get a break but i guess not..

yeah got off track but im not deleting my truth

people look at me and see the saddest story in the region and the worst part about all of this is that ive continuously hit that point where you realise that nobody cares about anything youre going through; and how people dont care about me orrrr even want me around..

like ive had people ive never met speak with me for 2 minutes and they told me instantly that i had tons of issues.. which is shocking at first but at the same time NOBODY has a damn clue what ive been through; you say i have issues? man issues come and go through my mind on a daily basis and they have been doing so for the last 10 straight years without a single day of rest.

and issues are nothing.
ive got this mapped into stages.
1: the loss of the spark you had in your soul
2: the realization and dwelling of your sorrow
3: suicidal thoughts
4: suicide attempt and aftermath
5: surpassing suicide and living just to see if anyone would care or help
6: living for nothing.

im on stage 8, and i dont even know where that is.

and to relate to you i have a fear of the dark as well, i always think something is going to jump out at me; just REALLY convince yourself nothing's there and close your eyes.. thats the only advice i can give ya

you can talk yourself through it, i bet 99 % of the people on this forum talk to themselves.

i know i do, and in my mind i thought maybe it would increase my social skills because saying things to myself would make them sound not as abrupt or stupid..

but then i realised all that made no sense.. and my mind just turns itself in circles JUST LIKE THAT 24/7.

i am EXTREMELY thankful that i am not currently in a medical depression but i do massively suffer from anxiety and social awkwardness and MY GOD youve never seen someone as awkward and withdrawn as me, trust me, ive seen myself in public, its all i think about when im in public, me, me me, how i look, how people see me.. cant shake the thoughts.

and if you think ive gone overboard now i havent even started, i could tell you stories for weeks on this forum about what ive been through but in the end it all doesnt matter because nobody cares about what i have to sayyyy soooo why am i writing this.... peace

·
Registered
154,234 Posts
Scary thoughts and irrational fears are our minds' way of distracting us from having face what we need to face. Instead of focusing on doing what we need to do, we scare ourselves something awful to derail ourselves.

·
on auto-pilot
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
:yes :yes :yes
I have similar fears to you.
I hate the dark, it terrifies me. I'm 16 and still sleep with a light on :sus
And the mirror thing is exactly like me!
We dont have shower curtains, but theres a cupboard in my bathroom that doesnt shut properly and i cant use the bathroom at night unless its got something in front of it.

Well im glad im not the only one with child-like fears.
It's pretty embarrassing, my boyfriends told all his family im scared of the dark.. which just made them think i'm even weirder than they already thought. :|
My closet door is broken, so it doesn't close, i gotta put a heavy object in front of it to keep it shut, or else i'd just stare at it from bed all night! I'm glad to hear you have similar problems in the dark, i am not alone! ^~^

·
Banned
330 Posts
I think I have a touch of OCD in that when I leave my house I am often convinced I left something on. I have been as far as 5 miles from my house and driven back to make sure I locked everything, that the stove is really off, etc. I also have irrational fears of choking and being alone in the house at night. :(

1 - 20 of 31 Posts