Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright so, I have always been shy and been told to just deal with it. I do feel I deal with it rather well.

How do you deal with being as shy as me in the workplace?

I can honestly say I do not talk whenever I work. I can go through an 8 hour shift without saying a word to anyone, except the necessary "Hi how are you" or "Can I help you?" that my job requires. FYI, I work in Fast-Food. Lol. I do not think it really is the best work for my personality, but... its where I'm at :p

My main problems/issues are that I do not speak to a single co-worker (I'll answer with yes and no, or other questions, but no conversation) and I also do not think I'm a very good worker. I'm a bit slow, and what I notice the most about me is I am extremely bad with stress. I get so caught up in anticipation and worry that I start tasks, but can't finish them well. I am constantly thinking about what could go wrong. ALSO, this may sound weird, but absolutely hate when people are watching me work. In the set up of fast food, I work in the kitchen mostly, and the managers and coworkers are always looking at you. I hate it. I start shaking, getting paranoid. I really cannot even make eye contact with alot of people. It's just terrible.

But anyhow, I think on a scale of one to ten as a worker, I'm about a 5 or 6. I do things, I help out, but nobody misses me when I'm gone. I also can't see me moving up much, and rounded I get about 20 hours a week.

So .... to sum all that up: How can I be social in the workplace? (As I do think this might have the do with the amount of hours I get, based on if managers and co-workers like working with me ) and How can I focus more on tasks, and fear less/have less anxiety ?

It's terrible because I really need to work more than I do. I need to make more money, but I think the reason why I can't, are these things ... :( Please help.

·
Registered
201 Posts
A few tips: There are relaxation exercises you can practice at home and then use them at work when you are feeling anxious. Learn to identify your triggers. Learn to connect your thoughts to your anxiety and then work to change your thoughts. There are many books available that describe various techniques. "Painfully Shy" is a good book. There are many others. A therapist may be helpful if you don't already have one.

It can be difficult. I still have bad days but have learned to cope and can still do well even on my bad days. A large part of my job is verbal communication and by the end of the day I am exhausted. But for the most part I enjoy my job. When it gets to be too much I go for a walk on my lunch or go sit by the lake by myself, or shut my office door, or I find other outlets. I will still occasionally bail out and call in sick--but I have that flexibility.

Good luck and hang in there.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts