Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody get tightening of the mussels and shaky jello legs when they are in a mall like setting with people surrounding everywhere? It feels like everyone is judging my every movement from every little shake or any sense of nervousness or insecurity. For some reason this seems to be the most prevalent when i go to the mall by myself.

·
Rat in a cage
393 Posts
Surprisingly, I don't feel this way. There is a LOT of people in there, it's super easy to just blend in the background. Being nervous in situations where there is a lot of people is super common though.

·
Hear, See , Be silent
1,421 Posts
I usually over heat... If I'm going to a mall even in the middle of the winter I need to be in a t shirt... I also get the feeling of too many eyes on me.

It passes though just that first 3-4 minutes are hellish.

·
Banned
49 Posts
I used to HATE it when the workers greeted me at the door of every store. I used to prepare myself for how I would respond, how I would act, what sort of body language I would give out, etc. etc. Same when the workers would come up to me every 2 minutes asking if I need any help. I remember thinking why won't they just leave me alone! Ahhh! Hahah.

I've gotten better over the years and I don't trip out as much now but still every now and then I get nervous and sweaty thinking "God, I hope that worker doesn't come over here to ask if I'm ok".

·
Banned
611 Posts
Based on my last excursion on Monday I've pretty much got over the anxiety of simply being in a crowded shopping location. If you get comfortable with smaller places first that aren't as busy you'll find it helps massively when you tackle busier places.

When you finally get over the anxiety that you might stand out like a sore thumb then you can find comfort in the fact that you blend in with the crowd.

·
Banned
3,869 Posts
ohh, I used to get panic back in 2002~2004, years afer school bullying I used to imagine thatr I'm going t see them again (they used to hang out a lot)

I'm O.K. now, but not 100%, it's good to find someone to go to malls with :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi there

It is perfectly normal to feel a little bit anxious in public places such as malls. But it sounds to me as though your anxiety is bordering on innapropriate. I would highly recommend that you look into a program called the Linden Method as a means of removing the underlying anxiety disorder which is causing you to feel uncomfortable in malls.

The Linden Method is extremely effective and has an alarming 96.7% success rate at curing all anxiety related disorders and phobias. There is also a full money back refund if you do not totally cure your condition.

Best of luck!

·
Registered
149 Posts
When I was younger I would get super panicky, even if someone else was with me. I don't get panicky anymore, I just feel uncomfortable if it's REALLY crowded. But I still have never been to the mall by myself...that kinda scares me.

·
killer of conversations
10,545 Posts
I'm currently working up the courage to attend a tax-free event with my friend Klonopin. My problem is I take forever trying to decide what to buy, so if I don't know what I'm going for I feel like I'm stranded and there are just all these busy bodies rushing about all around me and I'm stuck in one spot, in peoples' way. Etc. If that makes sense. I also get too caught up in conversations I overhear, and forget what I was about to do. I should bring my iPod.

·
Born Of Blotmonað
19,057 Posts
I've never been keen on malls & part of it is all the people & the other part is just being in a centre of consumerism. I walk in there & feel out of place/judged by other people plus I just have little desire to just wander around window shopping. It's not a place I want to be in general. I think some people relish in the "blending into the crowd/being out" vibe even if they are doing absolutely nothing there but I don't. My anxiety levels tend to jump up & down the whole time I'm in malls. Me & shopping in general isn't a pleasant experience, it's functional, I do it when I have to. When I want something I check in advance that the place has it in stock so I can be in & out

·
Registered
10 Posts
i hate the mall almost as much as i hate school. I feel like everyone is judging me and dislikes me. ESPECIALLY people who are my age. I get nervous and distracted by the crowd and always bump into people and awkwardly get in the way. It's terrible..

·
Banned
32 Posts
i just realize that it was nothing for me to go to the mall even when i had SA back then. now it is more advance SA.... i think! i say more advance cus i haven't been to the mall in a long time. though i feel like if i was to go again, it would be nothing again like before even having SA.

like i said, i use to go to the mall by myself like nothing even though i had SA, so i guess it is all in the mind. all i need to do is go again and realize that is nothing.

i mean i use to go to the mall with friends and by myself and not feel any different.

i mainly use to go to the tilt and play arcades against strangers. beating them was my motivation to go again.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I feel like that when I have to pay for something. I'm always worried they're going to judge what I'm buying, that I won't count out my money right, my debit card won't work or something other ridiculous thing that won't actually happen. Which is why I almost never buy anything if I go to the mall. I just stick to online shopping. :p

·
Banned
382 Posts
yeah, hate the mall..its full of 'people'...i dont mind being around people or if theyre looking at me or not, what tends to bother me are experiences where people are just messing with you or getting in your way .. the one thing i hate about malls is going into stores and having workers hang around you or follow you or act like youre going to take something.. or dealing with rude people or people's attitudes...the crowds suck too or people getting too close to you...
I had an experience at a store once whre the girls who worked there were just harassing me, following me around, yelling at me, taking clothes otu of my hands, being crazy...and some other experiences too made me more anxious or fearful of going to places like that...if I go to a mall i can't stay there too long...I also hate trying on clothes because it takes up so much time...I'm not worried about people judging me, its just had a lot of weird or bad experiences with rude people in the past so im always worried someone is going to end up going ballistic or being rude or weird out of the blue..

1 - 20 of 23 Posts