Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't posted in a while because I have been doing alright and trying to control my anxiety. But the other day I had a positive experience that I thought I might share.

I was on my way to have one of those post-breakup encounters that long term couples seem to do... maybe just to obtain some closure or make sure they weren't making any mistakes. It was the first time seeing him in six months and boy, was I nervous. Full on anxiety. I was biting my nails, sweating, heart pumping, etc.

But as I was driving, I started realizing that this feeling sure as hell beat the empty, stagnant feeling I felt after hiding in my room for two whole days. I knew that this anxiety was a product of me putting myself out there and trying things that made me feel extremely uncomfortable. In a way, I was thankful and felt very much alive.

Right before I pulled into the parking lot, I took some deep breaths and, as cheesy as it sounds, reminded myself that embracing the fact that I am a little awkward and anxious really is the best option. I have felt rejection on all different levels, and in the end it is the same every time, just different opening scenarios/scripts/what have you.

So anyway, I just thought I'd share. Hope you are all feeling well.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Anxiety is sometimes a good thing and a fundamental human emotion. It tells us when we are in a potentially dangerous or harmful situation. Everyone has anxiety, just at varying levels and some people can manage it better than others. Situations like this is where we learn to evaluate and manage our stress responses to them. Good for you twocrows and thanks for sharing:D

1 - 2 of 2 Posts