Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some of the most common and most important social interactions I have to deal with are online and in some ways I have even more trouble doing this than interacting in person. I've been on a streak of feeling okay about it and that's why I am posting this, but I don't know how long it will last.

Sometimes I am okay and I can quickly answer an email, but other times I will get too anxious about an email to even look at the screen and it will take me way to long to write the email if I do so at all. It's really problematic and sometimes I cannot even write a proper email, even if I spend the extra time on it, because of anxiety. I also have a lot of trouble editing the emails that I do send because everything I've written tends to sound bad to me and that makes me feel anxious and shameful when I try to send them.

I'm a university student right now.

Does anyone have any advice or do many other people have this problem?

Note: I used the word email, but this applies to most any kind of online communication.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I don't have this particular problem, but I'm wondering if you get nervous because you have to wait for a reply? When you talk to someone, the response is immediate and you aren't held in suspense. However, when you are emailing or corresponding through written communication, you don't know how someone is going to react to whatever you say because you can't see their body language. Body language is very important, and for instance, sarcasm doesn't always translate correctly through words. Does your anxiety tend to build up the longer it takes someone to respond to you?

Another idea I was having was about how comfortable you are with your writing. I know you're in college so you're probably doing just fine, and judging by this post I think you write well, but what do you personally think of your writing ability? Did you ever struggle with writing in grade school? Do you feel like you are not communicating what you mean when you write something? You said that everything you write sounds bad to you. Again, I don't know if this will make you feel better, but the post you just made was good, and I completely understood you, and I don't think it was bad or confusing at all.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts