Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was wondering if antipsychotics do anything. but i hear psychotics have elevated dopamine in their striatum region of brain which possibly in sa people have low levels in that region so i dont quite see how they would work in that way.

·
Spectacular Member
21,089 Posts
They do jack **** for my anxiety. From 20mg of Zyprexa a day, to 400mg of Seroquel IR a day, to 80mg of Geodon a day, they all SUCK!

·
Registered
133 Posts
I've been taking 50 mg seroquel at night for about a month now. At first I thought it calmed me down some but now I don't really notice much of an effect from it.

·
Registered
338 Posts
^ the sedation calmed you

To the OP, try Abilify 30 mg + Loxipine 250 mg, it will help your SA makes u think NORMAL. I'm trying Invega soon.

·
Fluctuating
1,353 Posts
^ the sedation calmed you

To the OP, try Abilify 30 mg + Loxipine 250 mg, it will help your SA makes u think NORMAL. I'm trying Invega soon.
Do you have any dystonia or suble involuntary movements from AP use?
Brow line, cheeks, tongue/lips?

I took thorazine maybe 10 times (25mg) and my mouth/cheeks would not stop twitching until several days after stopping.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Rarely i get a lil flench on my eyelid but it goes away within seconds, thast the only side effect i got from AP's and im taking the max dose. Im adding Invega for paranoid schizophrenia. I can help you with Q's and A's if u need help with AP's.

·
Fluctuating
1,353 Posts
Rarely i get a lil flench on my eyelid but it goes away within seconds, thast the only side effect i got from AP's and im taking the max dose. Im adding Invega for paranoid schizophrenia. I can help you with Q's and A's if u need help with AP's.
Yeah was just curious. It appears there is GREAT variance in an invididuals tendency to experience EPS and dystonic reactions to APs.

Ive heard of people being on high doses and multiple medications with absolutely no problems, and conversely there are substantial numbers of self reports claiming to have adverse effects from small doses.

Luck of the draw i suppose.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
they've helped me.
How did it help you SA ?
I was on Seroquel up to 900mg for a couple of years and it helped me sleep but i can't see how it could help SA
Not saying it didn't help you i'm just wondering in what way ?

·
Registered
338 Posts
How did it help you SA ?
I was on Seroquel up to 900mg for a couple of years and it helped me sleep but i can't see how it could help SA
Not saying it didn't help you i'm just wondering in what way ?
THey've helped me to think normally not with an SA brain like OMG im in a social situation, its now like hey im in a social situation who cares,,,it makes u think normal.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Btw I dont count Seroquel as a true anti phsychotic drug even though it can be used for. Try Abilify, Loxapine, Haldol, Geodon, Invega. Personally I take the max dose of Abilify (no side effects) in the morning, and 250 mg (no side effects) of Loxapine before bed. It helps me.

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
i was wondering if antipsychotics do anything.
Yes, they make huge profits for drug companies. That's what they do.

Here's how it works:

1. Drug company has antipsychotic pill.

2. They can sell that pill for a huge price ($10 or even $20 each in some cases).

3. Problem: there simply aren't all that many psychotic folks around to profit from.

4. Solution: get docs to hand out antipsychotics for every mental problem under the sun. Use it for all types of anxiety & depression and right there you've already covered most of a pdoc's patient base. Enjoy stunning profits.

·
Here and Now
1,189 Posts
i've been taking 50mg of thorazine for the past couple of weeks. It lowers my anxiety somewhat, but mostly just generalized anxieties...my SA is still strong. Helps me sleep good too which is awesome

·
UnDeRrAtED
34,711 Posts
Medication doesn't help me anymore like it use to :(

·
Kitten lover
53 Posts
OMG if you are not psychotic then don't even think about taking antipsychotics.

Why on earth would you want to take antipsychotics? You may as well bash your head against a wall.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts