Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody get anticipatory anxiety? I just started school and i'll be feeling pretty good then all of a sudden I get a thought that says "****, your going to get anxiety in a bit, your not gonna stay like this." And then a snowball effect occurs and sure as hell the anxiety is there.

Anybody get this? And if so how do you cope?

·
Registered
690 Posts
I'm in the same situation. Im going to start school towards the end of the month. On one hand im really excited because i made alot of progress this summer and think it could be really fun. But on the other hand i think it could be too much to handle and undo the progress I've made. So Im pretty nervous about it. I can also do well for awhile and then just get worn down to the point where i just go into survival mode.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Yeah, I'll channel all my energy into not being anxious about something and I'll be fine until right before it.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I recently realized that the anticipation is usually more anxiety-provoking than the event itself... it helps to keep reminding myself of that.

I just started a brand new (very customer interactive) job and I think I might know what you are talking about.

Good luck with school... just remember that the anticipatory anxiety is usually worse than the anxiety during the event!

·
Registered
375 Posts
Something I've been trying lately is anticipating the opposite of what I'm afraid of. So when I go to school, instead of saying "Everyone's gonna look at me. They're going to know I'm nervous. No one talks to me." I think "I bet someone's going to smile at me and say hi. I'm going to appear confident. This class is going to be interesting." I guess it's sort of like affirmations.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I get this. I just remind myself that I've felt like this before and I made it threw so why should this time be any different.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I have anticipatory anxiety pretty intensely, it has in ways made my social skills inaudible. I tend to recluse from things that I think are bad, this pattern still resonates today.

·
Confused
735 Posts
Yes, the anticipatory anxiety I have is worse than the actual social anxiety I experience. I am not particularly anxious when socializing; its just that the thought of the actual social situation makes me anxious. I'd say I've got more of an avoidant personality rather than a socially anxious one, if that makes sense.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts