Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
stillborn
1,764 Posts
Well, he may be a good principal but if he upset you (which he obviously did) then I would say something.

·
resident classicist
4,408 Posts
If it makes you feel any better, I'm nearly certain he meant asocial and is not actually accusing you of being a serial killer or anything.

People need to learn the difference between the two words.

·
Registered
310 Posts
If it makes you feel any better, I'm nearly certain he meant asocial and is not actually accusing you of being a serial killer or anything.

People need to learn the difference between the two words.
True, but labeling a student as asocial, especially in front of other students, still demonstrates a lack of professionalism. I would absolutely confront a colleague about that (outside class, away from students) if it was done in my presence.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Saying something like in front of a group of ppl is HUMILIATING. I would have been like F-ck you to him if he said that to me (if anything, it would have been under my breath at least). In my opinion, it's similar to calling someone ugly, even though they are ugly, except in your case, you're not even antisocial, you have SA. He's labelled you and made you even more isolated from the rest of the class by saying you don't enjoy social interaction. Damn, that's horrible. I would at least talk to him about embarrassing you in front of your classmates and if you have the courage, you could even go so far as explain your difficulties with SA (depending on how understanding and considerate he is of others). I would be enraged!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Wow. That's really nice. I can't believe he said that, really. I'm sorry that happened and I know the feeling. Honestly, he has no right to be saying things like that, especially negative comments at that fact. :\

·
Registered
195 Posts
characteristics of people with antisocial personality disorder may include:[4]

* persistent lying or stealing
* superficial charm
* apparent lack of remorse or empathy; inability to care about hurting others
* inability to keep jobs or stay in school
* impulsivity and/or recklessness
* lack of realistic, long-term goals - an inability or persistent failure to develop and execute long-term plans and goals
* inability to make or keep friends, or maintain relationships such as marriage
* poor behavioral controls - expressions of irritability, annoyance, impatience, threats, aggression, and verbal abuse; inadequate control of anger and temper
* narcissism, elevated self-appraisal or a sense of extreme entitlement
* a persistent agitated or depressed feeling (dysphoria)
* a history of childhood conduct disorders
* recurring difficulties with the law
* tendency to violate the boundaries and rights of others
* substance abuse
* aggressive, often violent behavior; prone to getting involved in fights
* inability to tolerate boredom
* disregard for the safety of self or others
* persistent attitude of irresponsibility and disregard for social rules, norms, and obligations
* people with a diagnosis of antisocial personality disorder often experience difficulties with authority figures.
rude!

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Saying something like in front of a group of ppl is HUMILIATING. I would have been like F-ck you to him if he said that to me (if anything, it would have been under my breath at least). In my opinion, it's similar to calling someone ugly, even though they are ugly, except in your case, you're not even antisocial, you have SA. He's labelled you and made you even more isolated from the rest of the class by saying you don't enjoy social interaction. Damn, that's horrible. I would at least talk to him about embarrassing you in front of your classmates and if you have the courage, you could even go so far as explain your difficulties with SA (depending on how understanding and considerate he is of others). I would be enraged!
i thought about this before.but i'm scared what he'll think of me if i told him i have SA.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
i think some'll really think that i'm asocial.today after class we go eat out after that they went back to college and i'm the only one who went straight home because i feel uncomfortable with so many peoples together.

·
Registered
18,888 Posts
That's a very ignorant statement coming from someone in his position. You'd think a principal would know what "anti-social" really means.

Labelling you like that (regardless of how he meant it) in front of other students is extremely unprofessional. It doesn't matter what class you were in. How about you're "a little shy" or "kinda quiet"? But ANTI-SOCIAL? Don't you have to have some sort of people-smarts and common sense to become a principal?

I'd have to confront him or make a complaint to the school board about it. I don't think I'd be able to let that slide.

·
breaking free
2,171 Posts
That is so rude! What would make him even think about saying something like that to someone? He is the anti social one- not you.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I'm mad for you! That guy is way outta line. When things like this happen I always just remind myself of this: one person's opinion outta the whole world doesn't really matter.
A quick one liner for these type of people who like to embarrass people in front of others is: "Thank you for your opinion" in a sarcastic tone, reminding the person that their opinion is in fact pretty much useless in the grand scheme of things.

·
Registered
102 Posts
i think some'll really think that i'm asocial.today after class we go eat out after that they went back to college and i'm the only one who went straight home because i feel uncomfortable with so many peoples together.
Push yourself. Go out with them. Make one friend that you feel comfortable with in your class and then go out with them. If you can't socialize with all them (I can't either), just talk to your one friend. At least, you're in a group and you'll eventually become less anxious/uncomfortable in that setting. You gotta make yourself uncomfortable to overcome your anxiety. I'm trying so hard right now and pushing myself, though school is out for me. Though when I play soccer with strangers I try to talk as much as possible to strangers that I play with and it is always getting easier (though it's still pretty hard and brings quite a bit of anxiety).

If you can't make that one friend... then i advise to definitely not go out with them. Try hard to make that one friend.

Hope i helped a little. :)

Oh, and don't worry if you think they think you're asocial. Try to ignore what you think they're thinking as much as possible. Easier said than done, but try to block it out.

·
Banned
136 Posts
yesterday we had personal development class with our principal.he's a very good principal and he loves to jokes around.he's guessing what our personality is and when it comes to my turn he said that i'm an anti-social person in front of the whole class.i felt very embarassing because of it.what would you feel if someone said you are an anti-social in front of the others?
I'd probably feel embarrassed too, but he may not have meant it to have that effect. Aren't people with anti-social personality disorders sociopathic anyway? I don't think you can tell that someone is sociopathic by just looking at them.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Maybe he meant no harm by it, but I would expect a person who works with students of many personality types to practice at least some kind of caution when it comes to that.
People throw the word "anti-social" around alot without knowing what it really means.

·
Registered
156 Posts
You should have punched him in the face, then yelled, "Hey, you're right, I do have anti-social tendencies!"

What an *** that guy is.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts