Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
yesterday we had personal development class with our principal.he's a very good principal and he loves to jokes around.he's guessing what our personality is and when it comes to my turn he said that i'm an anti-social person in front of the whole class.i felt very embarassing because of it.what would you feel if someone said you are an anti-social in front of the others?

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i think i can't blame him because he don't know i have SA.he just thought that i don't like to be social.but i still don't get it why he said that because i'm ok in class.he's a really sharp person.

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
I would feel angry! How dare someone a person in that way! Does he even know what the ture definition of anti-social is? Anti-social is the type of behaviour which causes distress for other people for example vandalism, violence and general yobbery. You maybe introverted but certainly not anti-social!

·
Registered
289 Posts
Actually, it's not rude--- "anti-social" is a personality type, not *just* a mental health disorder. If he is guessing everyone's personality, what else do you think he will say it that is the one that matches??

Having an anti-social personality does not = social anxiety DISORDER.

It's just that, because we DO have SA, we would definitely be embarrassed at having such a thing made known to everyone in such a way. However, most of those people do not equate the 'personality' with the 'disorder' anyway, unless they knew before hand that you have the disorder.

·
stillborn
1,764 Posts
That is extremely rude! I understand what you did about taking it with a grain of salt at first. I do the same kind of things when I'm hurt. Which makes me an easy target I guess. I agree with the other members; you should say something. I once helped get a student helper fired for his inappropriate behavior (questioning the students sexuality in a demeaning manner).

Cases like these make you wonder about some teachers. What makes them qualified?

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
you should tell him you have a well documented disorder which causes nervousness that he'll never experienced in his life.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That is extremely rude! I understand what you did about taking it with a grain of salt at first. I do the same kind of things when I'm hurt. Which makes me an easy target I guess. I agree with the other members; you should say something. I once helped get a student helper fired for his inappropriate behavior (questioning the students sexuality in a demeaning manner).

Cases like these make you wonder about some teachers. What makes them qualified?
i can said that he is a very good principal and friend that care about his students.he treats us like friends.that's why i like him.i'm a bit hurt yesterday because of what he said.some stare at me when he said that.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
you should tell him you have a well documented disorder which causes nervousness that he'll never experienced in his life.
i would never dare to said to anyone in my class and lecturers that i had SA.

·
Lost
275 Posts
he's a very good principal
Doesn't sound like it to me.

He's supposed to be a proffesional person. He should not be embarassing you like that, even if he was joking. I'd have thought in his line of work, he'd have come across many young people with such problems. I say complain :blank

·
SAS Member
31,286 Posts
Normally, I would say that it was very rude, but you were in a personal development class which I'm guessing deals with your personalities among other things, so I'm sure he didn't mean any kind of disrespect.

·
Registered
139 Posts
yeah, i agree that it was a bit out of line for him to tell you that,although i'm sure he meant no harm by it. But it still stings when someone says that to you in front of everyone. im sorry you had to be hurt like that:(

·
Registered
24 Posts
Well, I think you might do well to tell him how it made you feel, since you like him and probably feel comfortable around him. He probably didn't mean any harm by it. I guess. In any case, labeling people can be very dangerous and embarassing for the person concerned of course. I think you should tell him that way he could explain himself, and potentially avoid saying that to other people who might be sensitive to comments like that.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
I would say, "well buddy, thats your opinion. And, opinions are like a--holes. Everybody has one". I have been accused of being anti-social. I really don't care what a person thinks, but it is an ASSUMPTION on their part. I just like to keep to myself. He sounds like one of these boring extroverts who go ooooonnnnn and ooooonnnnnn, and he OBVIOUSLY has nothing worthwhile to say.

·
Registered
401 Posts
He should of said that if he's guessing everyone's personalities he should of said that you are shy and quiet,and you keep to yourself,and a nice person....the anti-social part would of made me embrassed,hurt and angry!

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
yeah, i agree that it was a bit out of line for him to tell you that,although i'm sure he meant no harm by it. But it still stings when someone says that to you in front of everyone. im sorry you had to be hurt like that:(
i'm sure he mean no harm.he wants all of us to be a very social and active person.i'm studying tourism.don't know did i make the right decision or not.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
He should of said that if he's guessing everyone's personalities he should of said that you are shy and quiet,and you keep to yourself,and a nice person....the anti-social part would of made me embrassed,hurt and angry!
i agree.he's too direct about this.he doesn't know that SA peoples is more sensitive.we'll feel very bad if someone said we're anti-social.it's not what we want anyway.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts