Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im on 500mg of quetiapine/seroquel (anti-pychotic) and 45mg Mirtazapine

I was put on them primarily for pychosis and depression but I'm wondering just how much they have effected my social anxiety

Since I've been on them I am a lot less nervous meeting new people, before I was on them I was actually throwing up out of nerves all day before meeting a new person, the thing is I also started doing some good work with my pycholagist around the same time and I started seeing a mentor

I'm interested in knowing just how much different my personality would be if I wasn't taking these meds

I mean is it my own hard work and effort with my pycholagist that has reduced my anxiety or is it just the drugs? or a combination of the two?

I would love to find out by stopping my meds or something but obviously with the pychosis this isn't a good idea

I guess my worry is that when I recover from the pychosis and depression and stop taking the meds I would become more anxious?

has anybody been on an anti-pychotic and noticed a difference in there SA?

·
A Living Woman
3,464 Posts
I was on Seroquel and Zoloft and it helped for a good amount of time. I mean I still had to work at it but I thought it was beneficial, especially for getting sleep, haha. I no longer take any medication. I'd say I was on those for about a year.

·
Yes
1,760 Posts
Well it's no surprise that an anti-psychotic makes you less anxious... they kind of make you "less" everything.

Personally I hate them, but if you're actually being treated for psychosis I guess you need them.

·
A Living Woman
3,464 Posts
Well it's no surprise that an anti-psychotic makes you less anxious... they kind of make you "less" everything.
They really do. I didn't even notice until I was off of it. I was on 50mg. The first night I took it I only took 25mg and I basically passed on in my study. It was insane. But I was happy because I got to sleep, haha.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ive been on it for about a year now and it still knocks me the hell out when I take it
I take all of my dose at bed time and there have been times when I've not got myself off to bed and realised too late that I can barely stand up, I once fell asleep on my bedroom floor because I couldn't make it to the bed!

It is a very sedating drug, but of a daytime I don't feel like a zombie or anything
but I suspect a lot of my emotions are kind of deadened, like anger

I find it impossible to get angry these days, its weird because I've kind of turned into this totally forgiving person, which I suppose isn't that bad a thing,
and I'm a *lot* less impulsive.

but Im not sure If I like the idea that my personality has totally changed
there are advantages sure but it just seems wrong

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
I disagree that antipsychotics make you "less everything." They do have the ability to change your personality though. It sounds like they have had a positive effect on you so I wouldn't worry too much about the philosophical implications of "who you really are" without the meds. The changes you have made are almost certainly a combination of meds and personal effort.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
(Atypical) antipsychotics can cause irreversible movement disorders if taken long-term. Drugs like Zyprexa can also cause overweight, diabetes... That's why I don't like the idea of prescribing those drugs (especially long-term) for conditions they are not approved for (like SAD) and for which they have never shown to be effective in controlled trials.

·
Registered
440 Posts
(Atypical) antipsychotics can cause irreversible movement disorders if taken long-term. Drugs like Zyprexa can also cause overweight, diabetes... That's why I don't like the idea of prescribing those drugs (especially long-term) for conditions they are not approved for (like SAD) and for which they have never shown to be effective in controlled trials.
Yeah antipsychotics were first approved for medical anesthesia, so uh.....IDK. I feel like they're only good for two things, getting rid of the crazies, and making you fall asleep.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Well, your doctor did the natural (and probably right) thing by putting you on an antipsychotic with an antidepressant for depression with psychotic features. I think almost any doctor would have done the same. However, if the underlying disorder is depression (and not schizophrenia or bipolar for example), you should be able to wean off of the antipsychotics at some point. It could be that the antidepressant is helping more than the antipsychotic.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts