Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Freesix88
952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im now on lexapro clonazepam dexedrine and abilify. Abilify causes really akathisia for me (and I only take 5 mg). Are there any other psychotics that dont have this side effect? Otherwise I give up this class of medicines. I follow strictly the guidelines of my pdoc. What can I ask? I think abilify helps me somewhat but this is not worth it.

·
Cheesus
4,144 Posts
Abilify you need to work up your dose to 5mg. Typically you start at 2mg and only after a week you go up to 5mg. This is a method psychiatrists use to overcome the restlessness. I had a bit of restlessness at first but it went away for me. My guess is the mix of Dexedrine and abilify may make it worse.

·
Banned
9,928 Posts
It seems to me that most anti-psychotics have some kind of awful side effect. I saw hundreds of people on them in the psych hospital and I don't think I saw anyone without some kind of side effect from them. Dystonia was a big one. Tardive dyskinesia was also common. Weight gain was really bad in a lot of them.

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Increasing dosages of some of the antipsychotics too quickly can cause this side effect.

When you started abilify did you immediately start at 5mg or did you slowly reach up to 5mg. Just as keycorpz has said the typical starting dose is 2mg and then you slowly increase the dose.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Most if not all anti-psychotics have akathisiaas a side effect but did you also know that antidepressants also have this. Ask your pdoc if there any biological test for you to take.

·
Going to war
3,928 Posts
You sure it not the lexapro? Did you start all those meds at the same time?. For me lexapro and dexedrine could be only tolarated together in low doses. Any higher i got servere agaitation. Im talking 2.5 to 5mg lex. I got no akathisa from any doses of abilify by it self and it actually help me remain still weird huh. But with cipralex. Cipralex by it self make me move.

·
Freesix88
952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Not it's not the lexapro.

I better stop this abilify now because this unbearable. Had high hopes but I've heard other Ap's do not have this issue (heard this from another member). I rather stick with some green, not too much (read; not stoned) just for those lovely calm thoughts.

·
Going to war
3,928 Posts
I tried 2.5mg Lex 5mg Abilify 5mg Dexedrine the other day. i got no akathisa. I recall when i was on something like 10mg Lex and took 5mg of Dex. i got it real bad. I couldn't sleep.

What dosage of the other medication are on btw?

Think i might try marijaunia and abilify i wonder if that would stop the paranoia. Or maybe it would not.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts