Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Some people have positive results with SSRI's like Lexapro, Paxil, Zoloft, Prozac, etc... others with SSNRI's like Effexor. These drugs generally have many side effects to watch out for, or in some cases do not help with SA at all, which is why many people with SA rely on benzos.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I am already taking an SSRI - Paxil. It helps somewhat but not completely so I thought about talking to my PD about adding something to it. But I have read some horror stories about getting off benzos so wanted to try something else first if possible. What benzo helps SA the most or does it vary from person to person?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Would you prefer to use it daily or situationally?

For daily, Klonopin seems to be the best in many people's opinion, as it lasts the longest out of the benzos prescribed for anxiety. If you want to use it to quell panic attacks or anticipatory anxiety, Xanax and Ativan are good for shorter lasting effects.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Any benzo will cause drowsiness at first, but tolerance grows to this side effect. Ativan has been very successful for me so far in helping me deal with anxiety. It doesn't make me MORE social, but I've noticed that conversations are much easier, and I used to get horribly nauseous (and usually vomit) before attending social events... and I haven't been having this anymore.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
which benzo is best for situational anxiety? So I would only take it when I was in a social situation. And which one works the fastest? And about how many mgs would I need? I'm 5'5" and 155 lbs.

Thanks,
Annetta

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No - I haven't looked into beta blockers because I think the anxiety is mental and not physical. For example, I am in a running club that meets every Wednesday night. After we are finished running we have a potluck. I am able to talk to the 60 and 70 year olds fine without anxiety. But when someone near my own age tries to talk to me then I get really anxious and start to stutter:blank

And no I can't hang out in retirement homes all my life :) Unless I find an old guy who is a millionaire and about ready to die. Haha! Just kidding!

So I need something that is fast acting because I want to take it after the run but before the potluck so something that takes 10 minutes to kick in. So which one kicks in the fastest?

Is there anything else besides SSRI's, SNRI's, Benzos and Buspar that helps with anxiety? I am already taking Paxil and Welbutrin and that does seem to help with anxiety a bit as well as depression so I would like to continue taking those.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.