Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Looking for an argument
2,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Antabuse (Disulfiram) is a medication that can be used to treat Alcoholism, basically when you're on the medication and you drink you will immediately get very sick. How it works:

When you drink alcohol, your body metabolizes it into acetaldehyde, a very toxic substance that causes many of the hangover symptoms that occur after heavy drinking. Under normal circumstances, your body continues to oxidize acetaldehyde into acetic acid, which is harmless. Antabuse interferes with this metabolic process. It prevents the oxidation of acetaldehyde into acetic acid and causes a build-up of acetaldehyde that is five to 10 times greater than what would normally be present after drinking alcohol.

The high concentration of acetaldehyde that occurs when someone drinks while taking Antabuse triggers a very unpleasant reaction. The severity of the symptoms, which can range from mild to severe, depend on how much Antabuse and how much alcohol is consumed. The symptoms last as long as alcohol is in the body. If you drink alcohol while taking Antabuse, you can experience these symptoms:

Flushing, Nausea, Copious vomiting, Throbbing in the head and neck, Headache, Respiratory difficulty, Chest pain and many more.

It seems like a pretty extreme step to take, to take a medication to stop drinking but it has been the only thing that has worked for me when everything else failed. I've been taking this medication for about 3 and a half years now it's an absolute wonder drug that has given me no side effects at all aside from the slightly unpleasant taste of the drink when you dissolve the pills in water.
So for about the previous 7 or so years before that I'd binge drink usually only in the weekends I would never abuse my body by drinking everyday, one of the things that also helped me was doing my hot yoga class twice a wk during the week and I would never feel like drinking after yoga. But I would drink on average a half litre of rum sometimes up to 3/4 which is a lot for one person and I'd get killer hangovers, not to mention doing really stupid stuff while drunk. I'd wake up hungover on a saturday morning full of regret, be a depressed semi catatonic zombie all day sat but by sat night I'd have recovered only to repeat the same process all over again.
I'm not going to lie my drinking sessions could be a lot fun but they took more than they gave, I'd be depressed monday that I can't control this problem and vow to not drink at the end of the week but come friday it'd be drink time again. And so on it went for years.

So I tried everything going to AA which I absolutely cannot stand I have so many issues with that quasi christian like cult. I'd honestly rather drink myself to death than go to AA. I went to this alcohol counsellor and she was very good and emphatic but nothing changed she was the one that first mentioned the idea of medication but I shelved it thinking it too extreme that that would be reserved for winos. They offered this outpatient course but I found it too time intensive 3 times a week for 2 hours and I stopped drinking for a couple of weeks but then went back to it and ended up abandoning the course.

So desperate for something to help with this problem I thought I'd try medication as nothing else has worked, so I googled about it and 2 options came up the first was Antabuse the other was some medication that just blocks the pleasure receptors in your brain when you drink but I decided the former sounded like it'd be more effective. So I went to the doc who referred me to this community psychiatrist (which cost me nothing thank goodness with their fees) he was very informative and advised me that I would need to have regular blood tests and with a very small number of people who take it can end up with liver problems. Initially some count in my liver was higher than normal but he said that happens sometimes and after the second blood test the levels went back to normal so it was green light for antabuse.

So basically the amount of times I have drunk while on Antabuse is 0, which is a pretty good score for someone who used to drink without fail at least once a week for many years. Fear keeps me from drinking hearing about the terrible side effects how could I? And I'm not gonna kid myself that just one beer will do for me I go all out when I drink. I could be taking a placebo for all I know but the fact is this drug has worked for me when everything else failed. Also in that link it says you can't have any food with alcohol in it I've cooked meals with up to half a cup of wine and noticed no ill effect I think the cooking process does something to it but I would not risk trying to drink it.

I have fallen off the wagon a few times roughly 5 I think since I started it in 2017, where I gave up taking it because I wanted to drink again, you only need to stop taking it for one week and then you can drink fine again. But each time I stopped I went back to my old ways which reminded me in the first place why I had started Antabuse. But therein lies the problem with it, it relies on you having to take it, it won't deal with your cravings in the beginning my cravings on a friday night were intense I felt deprived without it but I'd usually just watch a film being annoyed I couldn't drink but basically what choice did I have there's no way I'm gonna subject myself to feeling instantly intensely ill.

And the next morning I'd wake up feeling like a ray of sunshine I could bounce out of bed with actual energy to do what I wanted to do in my weekends like work on my 3D art projects which I'd neglect a lot due to feeling too ill from a hangover. So it's def not for everyone I do believe Antabuse works best as part of a holistic approach where you need to find other ways to cope with your need to drink. But for me it has been a life saver, wonderful little pills I couldn't sing enough praise about.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
It's lovely it works for you, I'm myself on antabuse. Sorry to be somewhat of a party-pooper, but it is very harsh for the liver and long-term use is associated with development of liver disorders. So i plan to only use it for a few months. It is never meant to be used indefinitely unless absolutely necessary. (Also, i tried drinking 6 beers while on antabuse to see if i got some kind of reaction. It was very minor, perhaps it would be much more unpleasant if i used stronger alcohol. But it seems just drinking a little bit is okay while on it.)

I take 1200mg spread out over a week.

·
Looking for an argument
2,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's lovely it works for you, I'm myself on antabuse. Sorry to be somewhat of a party-pooper, but it is very harsh for the liver and long-term use is associated with development of liver disorders. So i plan to only use it for a few months. It is never meant to be used indefinitely unless absolutely necessary. (Also, i tried drinking 6 beers while on antabuse to see if i got some kind of reaction. It was very minor, perhaps it would be much more unpleasant if i used stronger alcohol. But it seems just drinking a little bit is okay while on it.)

I take 1200mg spread out over a week.
I know it can be bad for the liver but then so is alcohol ironically. I asked my doc if she was ok with me taking it long term when I saw her recently (I've got a new doc last doc was fine with it) and I said as long as I have regular blood tests which show my liver is fine is she ok with me taking it long term and she said she was.
I know it's not meant to be taken long term but if it's not doing your body any harm and it works to keep you from drinking where's the harm? The harm from drinking can be greater.

It doesn't deal with the psychological cravings though and of course it doesn't deal with my underlying psychological issues that caused me to drink in the first place. I don't intend to never drink again for the rest of my life, that'd be a bitter pill to swallow (no pun intended). I still have the urge to drink sometimes but unless I can drink in a more controlled fashion then it's not a good idea to go back to my self destructive ways.
Interesting to hear you have tried a few beers on it, I'm too afraid to try other than a bit when cooking. I normally drink spirits so the medication would probably kick in with it.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
I know it can be bad for the liver but then so is alcohol ironically. I asked my doc if she was ok with me taking it long term when I saw her recently (I've got a new doc last doc was fine with it) and I said as long as I have regular blood tests which show my liver is fine is she ok with me taking it long term and she said she was.
I know it's not meant to be taken long term but if it's not doing your body any harm and it works to keep you from drinking where's the harm? The harm from drinking can be greater.

It doesn't deal with the psychological cravings though and of course it doesn't deal with my underlying psychological issues that caused me to drink in the first place. I don't intend to never drink again for the rest of my life, that'd be a bitter pill to swallow (no pun intended). I still have the urge to drink sometimes but unless I can drink in a more controlled fashion then it's not a good idea to go back to my self destructive ways.
Interesting to hear you have tried a few beers on it, I'm too afraid to try other than a bit when cooking. I normally drink spirits so the medication would probably kick in with it.
What you say it is true. And if you do regular check ups i suppose it can be managed.

Nice resolve. I hope I never drink again; i feel motivated for now, and I've ruined too many years of my life, also relationships because of it. But you never know, a life crisis may strike, or some other catastrophic event might happen that brings out the urge to drink again. One can never know for certain.

Since you're also on this forum i suppose you also have SAD? How's that going for you at the moment?

·
Looking for an argument
2,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What you say it is true. And if you do regular check ups i suppose it can be managed.

Nice resolve. I hope I never drink again; i feel motivated for now, and I've ruined too many years of my life, also relationships because of it. But you never know, a life crisis may strike, or some other catastrophic event might happen that brings out the urge to drink again. One can never know for certain.

Since you're also on this forum i suppose you also have SAD? How's that going for you at the moment?
I still have anxiety problems but my social anxiety isn't near as bad as it used to be, just kind of eased with time.
A lot of the anxiety I have is with work, but minus the alcohol I still have a lot of psychological struggles I'm still working through, I have a real problem with OCD - obsessive thoughts.
How about yourself?

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
I still have anxiety problems but my social anxiety isn't near as bad as it used to be, just kind of eased with time.
A lot of the anxiety I have is with work, but minus the alcohol I still have a lot of psychological struggles I'm still working through, I have a real problem with OCD - obsessive thoughts.
How about yourself?
I only had a brief stint of OCD when i was a kid, but boy, that was horrible. My social anxiety got mostly "cured" around 2014, and it rarely affects me anymore unless in stressful and intense moments.

What's your reason for drinking too much? In my case I went through a painful break-up and lost my job at the same time. The bottle gave temporary relief.

·
Looking for an argument
2,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I only had a brief stint of OCD when i was a kid, but boy, that was horrible. My social anxiety got mostly "cured" around 2014, and it rarely affects me anymore unless in stressful and intense moments.

What's your reason for drinking too much? In my case I went through a painful break-up and lost my job at the same time. The bottle gave temporary relief.
What cured you if you don't mind me asking? The thing that caused me to abuse alcohol was like everything negative in my life caused by my difficulties dealing with my psychological problems, the frustration I felt with it led me to drink to escape. But it's also that I just like getting 'high' like a lot of other people, I still miss it sometimes but 'bad' things happen when I drink to put it simply.
I've def learned I don't need it to be happy or to entertain myself, I know that sounds obvious nobody needs alcohol but emotionally if you have a dependence on it you feel you do.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts