Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
You can do this!
4,464 Posts
Well, I didn't mean it that way at all, but this thread will soon be nice and edited so I won't bother explaining what I did mean.

·
Registered
154,229 Posts
JohnnyEnnui,

I don't think he was trying to minimize anorexia. He just may not have understood how the desire to eat overtakes the knowledge that one needs to eat to survive. It sounds like a similarity with guys trying to bulk up and use steroids. The narcissistic drive for the "perfect" body goes at all costs - exercising all the time, eating differently to lose fat and gain muscle, and even the steroids.

As hard as it is, one has to learn to love himself for who he is. a little overweight or underweight. It is not wrong to better oneself as long as it doesn't make you worse off in the long run.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Caedmon said:
Huh, I didn't know there were people who thought that anorexia wasn't a problem. I knew that people eat food to stay alive in the first grade, go figure.
what are you talking about?? never was it said in his post that anorexia wasn't a problem..........

·
You can do this!
4,464 Posts
QuietCoral said:
Caedmon said:
Huh, I didn't know there were people who thought that anorexia wasn't a problem. I knew that people eat food to stay alive in the first grade, go figure.
what are you talking about?? never was it said in his post that anorexia wasn't a problem..........
There was the argument that anorexia is not a problem but merely a "lifestyle choice", and this is what I referred to. I merely mean to say that I don't understand how one can possibly spin it as a lifestyle, I'd say anything that harms your body is a problem. Def. didn't mean to minimize anorexia in any way, quite the opposite, like all psychological problems it is beyond our rational control.

I am sorry for wording that badly. Looking back on it, it could be read ambiguously as if I were saying that anorexics were dumb or stupid. I do not think this at all, and such a sentiment is grossly wrong and inappropriate. So if I wounded anyone by my sloppiness, I want to publicly apologize for that.

·
Registered
342 Posts
With regard to eating disorders and, specifically, anorexia being a "control issue", I have heard that many, many times before, but I think that it is really a PAIN issue...an issue of immense underlying pain...that turns into immense rage...that gets displaced onto oneself.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Thats a really good question, actually.

I sort of... became anorexic. One day I just decided I wanted to be thin, and the only clear way I could see that was becoming Anorexic. I knew the risks, but I did it. It's become a mindset now, though. I have to loose weight. I have to look thinner.

Just because you can't think of why a person would want to become anorexic doesn't mean they aren't out there.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.