Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
"Semi-retired" SAS Member
1,006 Posts
I'm pretty sure I was anorexic during my adolescence. Not the nervosa kind, with the distorted body image, though. I just didn't have much of an appetite and didn't eat. I think it was part of my depression, which was worse then than in any other period of my life so far. I was 6'0" and around 120-130 lbs my last 2 years of high school. I was extremely self-conscious of how skinny I was, and hated it.

During the first year of college I started eating more. I gained 30 lbs. That's where I've been for the last 8 or 9 years: 6'1, around 155-165 lbs. I'm still thin but have a minimally acceptable BMI. I think my bad posture (slouch) and poor upper body strength are permanent results of my poor adolescent eating habits, and I may develop more problems down the road....

But I should add, the important thing is I knew it wasn't healthy. In the case of anorexia nervosa, the sufferer typically has an extremly distorted self-image and simply cannot recognize what she (usually she) is really doing to herself.

·
"Semi-retired" SAS Member
1,006 Posts
Thank you for offering your insight and personal experience, Picasso. I think we needed input from someone who has struggled with AN. All I know about AN I learned in 9th grade health class! Thank you for increasing my understanding.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.