Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
Anorexics are full of crap. I was myself. I mean, I'm happy I'm thin now, er, stayed thin. If I got fat, though, I'd probably just excercise a lot. I don't see anorexica or any eating disorder as an innocent diet or "lifestyle choice." Where would you draw the line? Anorexics are not healthy. They see fat before they see themselves. What normal people would see as characteristic in someone, anorexics see as ugly fat. Everyday we see imperfect bodies. Anorexics don't see that. They see everything in terms of body fat. What we all would think of as normal and thin doesn't get by in that mindset. Fat is not having a visible rib cage. It's only inevitable that people with eating disorders would establish a message board that justifies their "lifestyle", as they are completely full of s--- and need something like that to continue living in denial. The parody sites say it all. "Pro-Scurvy" and what have you.

I read my post over and realized it may sound harsh, and hypocritical, since I have SA and post on a message baord, although I don't see posting here as justifying an irrational disorder... sure, I don't really want to change much, but I come here because I can relate to others and vent. I'm just saying. I starved myself till I would blank out for 5-10 seconds with no vision. the arguments I've heard by anorexics remind me of myself when I was 13-14 and what I would have said.

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
Totally, Johnny. anorexia was part of my whole messed up mindset. I'm still not fully past my body image issues. I just get pissed off when I hear stuff from anorexics like "we live in a society with an obesity epidemic", like that has anything to do with them. I would have said the same thing if there were anorexic discussion forums around then. I'm putting myself down, if anything. I was and am full of crap.

james wrote:

"But I should add, the important thing is I knew it wasn't healthy. In the case of anorexia nervosa, the sufferer typically has an extremly distorted self-image and simply cannot recognize what she (usually she) is really doing to herself"

I don't know. I pretty much knew what I was doing to myself, but I felt being thin was more important because it would bring me success and acceptance with others.

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
It IS most definitely a mental illness
.but as is for sa and apd, a coping tool for life.
I agree. I had to be thin so I could feel like I was on top, on the higher level with everyone else. To be honest, I had self-esteem when I walked around in the mall with my new thin self, but then I would come home and look in the mirror and hate the fat in my cheeks. I think we have eating disorders for different reasons, and mine is a little different that what you described. I wanted to be thin, like I said, to feel like I would be treated as a normal person I guess.. as in I'm on the same playing field as everyone else, and not fat. I felt stupid. I felt like people treated me (and I still feel this way) like a joke, as a piece of comedy. I always acted funny out of insecurity. I noticed I was fat by the time I was 12. I sat inside playing video games and eating Archway cookies and had few friends. After a while of seeing the other kids my age with their first girlfriends and then seeing how skinny they were in the locker room, I did some bad math in my head and I thought "I need to be skinny too".. Maybe my experience as a guy being anorexic is different than as a girl, I dunno. I never wanted to offend anyone. When I say anorexics are full of crap, I mean I was! I used to tell my mom how important being healthy was, and at one point would even tell her she was fat. The "healthiness" excuse was always it, even when I crawled up the stairs one morning and complained that I was blanking out and she starting crying that I need to eat. That's when I realized I was full of it, but I kept doing it.

I am upset by the mindset, I guess. It hurts me that people need to be thin. It's why I get pissed off when people try to conform into any kind of "scene" like indie rock or arty crowds, because I see how much they are trying, and I hate it. I talked to a girl a few years ago on IM and phone and she really thought being thin was important, and it frustrated me. She hung out with all of these spoiled artsy New York kids, and they didn't think anything of her condition. Didn't even notice it. hey proabably thought she was beautiful and cool looking like them while they were feeling all great about themselves. She was eating saltine crackers and celery everyday.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.