Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
BeNice said:
Anorexics are full of crap. I was myself. I mean, I'm happy I'm thin now, er, stayed thin. If I got fat, though, I'd probably just excercise a lot. I don't see anorexica or any eating disorder as an innocent diet or "lifestyle choice." Where would you draw the line? Anorexics are not healthy. They see fat before they see themselves. What normal people would see as characteristic in someone, anorexics see as ugly fat. Everyday we see imperfect bodies. Anorexics don't see that. They see everything in terms of body fat. What we all would think of as normal and thin doesn't get by in that mindset. Fat is not having a visible rib cage. It's only inevitable that people with eating disorders would establish a message board that justifies their "lifestyle", as they are completely full of s--- and need something like that to continue living in denial. The parody sites say it all. "Pro-Scurvy" and what have you.

I read my post over and realized it may sound harsh, and hypocritical, since I have SA and post on a message baord, although I don't see posting here as justifying an irrational disorder... sure, I don't really want to change much, but I come here because I can relate to others and vent. I'm just saying. I starved myself till I would blank out for 5-10 seconds with no vision. the arguments I've heard by anorexics remind me of myself when I was 13-14 and what I would have said.
Don't you think that the same irrationalities are true of people who suffer with SA? What's the difference between irrationally thinking that you are "fat" and irrationally thinking that other people are passing negative judgments about you when they're probably not?

Please speak about yourself, instead of putting down an entire group of people.

·
Registered
342 Posts
BeNice, I don't blame you for not wanting to indulge anorexics who try to justify their illness. I was anorexic for a long time, and although I am at a normal weight now, I still have problems with my body image too. Maybe it's not my place to say so, but I don't think you should put yourself down either. You were just wounded, like all of us here, and anorexia has been a way for you (and me) to attempt to cope with our wounds. I hope you can get more comfortable with your body image and, more importantly, heal from your wounds.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Do any of you guys/gals think there has been a correlation between your SA and your developing anorexia? I think there was one for me. I was actually IN treatment for my SA (although there was no real treatment for SA at the time...not even the term "SA") when I became anorexic. I think, for me, I felt so bad about myself for being socially phobic...like an absolute piece of sh*t...that I wanted to try to "perfect" myself, starting with my body. I know that, for most guys, the ideal body is "built" and muscular, but to me, I was more concerned with not being fat - i.e., not having any flaws or imperfections. I felt that I was so flawed as a human being for being socially phobic that I couldn't tolerate anything else "wrong" with me, like actually having some heathly "meat" on my body.

They define being anorexic as being something like 1/3 or 1/4 of your ideal body weight (I forget which one), but I agree that anorexia has more to do with a mindset than is has to do with being thin. Like I said, I'm at a normal weight now, but I still have "anorexic thinking" and worry about my body image. It's much improved, though. I'd just like to lose a few pounds in my stomach and build a little upper body strength. Of course, I now have chronic fatigue (not to mention GI problems), probably, in part, from having been anorexic so long, so it's hard to build the muscle I want to. And although I don't want an anorexic body anymore, I never really gained weight by choice. Time and age just took it's course, and I can no longer tolerate starving myself, not to mention over-exercising my death to maintain such an incredibly low weight. It's stupid, but, in a way, I feel like a failure as an anorexic (because I had devoted my life to it for so long), but who wants to spend their life doing that anyway?

·
Registered
342 Posts
With regard to eating disorders and, specifically, anorexia being a "control issue", I have heard that many, many times before, but I think that it is really a PAIN issue...an issue of immense underlying pain...that turns into immense rage...that gets displaced onto oneself.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.