Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
IMO anorexia is a disease just like any other kind of addiction, and from what I know it is a form of addiction if you're intentionally starving yourself. At least for me, it was the addiction of wanting to look "perfect" and regardless of what my weight was, I always wanted to be thinner. I'm 5-5 and my thinnest was 110 pounds, and I loved it even though everyone told me I was too thin. I'm heavier now and I think I am considered a normal weight but I still have issues with my weight. I don't think being anorexic is a lifestyle per se. I think it's unhealthy and destructive.

I have two friends who have recovered from anorexia. Both are about my height, a bit taller actually (they are both 5-6) and their lowest weights were in the high 70's. For someone who is 5-6 ... or anyone 5 feet or taller, weighing 80 pounds is a dangerous weight. The thing with anorexia is that no matter what your weight is you just want to be thinner. Fortunately I was not at a dangerous weight like being 5-5 and 80 pounds, but that was the case with me. I was constantly told how thin I was but I still wanted to be thinner and that's part of the addiction/disease.

Just my thoughts on the subject.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I've talked to people who who think that being anorexic is only about being thin, but it's definitely true that people don't go to such extremes ONLY because they want to be thin. If it's just about being "healthy", it seems like a "normal" person would stop at a healthy weight but going to such extremes to me means something else is going on behind the desire to be thin. Like you said, who would choose to be like that ... just like why would we choose to be so uncomfortable around people?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.