Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, so I've decided that I want to give dating a try because if I wait too much longer it is going to be really awkward (like it won't be anyway lol) and I feel like I've made a lot of progress this last year in talking with guys.
I want to try online dating, since it seems like it might be easier to take my time getting to know someone that way.

So...I started a profile on OKCupid because it seemed like the best one, but I am afraid to post my pic! I tried to be really honest answering the questions, and in my profile. I mentioned that I was really shy. In the 'compare" feature, it shows that I am more inexperienced than most people and more lonely. So thats embarrassing. I am really afraid that people I know in "real life" might see it. People I am not interested in dating, or people I work with. I work retail in a small city and people I don't know are always recognizing me when I am out shopping.

Also it would probably be easy for determined weirdos to find out where I live from my co workers. (I know I am probably being paranoid - part of my SA is that I have a REALLY hard time trusting people.)

Has anyone else had a problem with online dating?

·
SAS Member
31,286 Posts
Do you have to register on that site to see people's pics? If so, and if someone recognizes you from that site and they try to make fun of you, then they are basically admitting that they go to that site as well, so you have perfectly fine ammo to use against them.

·
Banned
70 Posts
Posting personal information online and pictures is a risk you take. I would not recommend to take that risk, but thats me. Most people wont respond to a profile without a picture, however.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Okay I am going to try this one more time and hope I don't get shot down again.

I met my husband on OKC. I made the first move. He was painfully shy, also suffers from SA, and at one time had it worse than me. Now I am the one who has it bad.

Even though he responded, and we had great online chats, when we first spoke on the phone he was obviously shy. I had to gently draw him out of his shell, and I am so glad I did, because from that shell came the most precious pearl. Or in his case, perl ;-)

OKC is a great place. I got involved in the journals, and made some of the dearest friends I have.

And by the way, I am still a newlywed. I was in my mid-to late 30's when I met my husband.

I really hope it works, and I hope you will post a picture. I am not on there anymore, but if I was, I would certainly be a cheerleader for you.

Good luck, I wish you the best

·
Banned
4,304 Posts
All I can tell you is I've been on a dating site for like 8 months, have couple pics up and no one I know has ever said anything to me. I am also extremely paranoid, and so it's been a relief to not have anything "suspect" happen. I guess you could just try messaging men you're interested in without a pic, and tell them if you connect you will show them a picture later.

·
alien monk
8,675 Posts
once someone from work saw my profile that said i have SAD... oops, embarassing. no one really said anything about it though, so it was ok.

·
Retired Enforcer
19,112 Posts
If a guy that you know sees it then you might get a date with someone you already know. Most girls will not be looking for other girls so will not see it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts