Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I dunno what's wrong with me. As a kid I was an extrovert. I loved talking to people, going outside and being the center of attention. But as I grew older, I became more withdrawn (you know how it is). Now I still experience social anxiety, but it's not just that. Now, I'd rather just stay home and watch Netflix all day. That truly makes me happy, than hanging out with friends. I feel like I just have friends for the sake of not seeming weird or maladjusted to life, but in truth I'd rather just be left alone to sleep on my bed or watch Netflix and eat forever. Or maybe that's just me not wanting to step out of my comfort zone. I'm trying to learn to love myself, but I feel like I need space from my so-called friends who always want to hang out and who won't understand what I feel. They'll just dismiss me as 'weird' or 'antisocial.' If I'm happy by myself then why can't I just be, why do we have to have friends to be adjusted to life, to seem whole?! Especially if they just don't get you or make you happy. Or maybe you're just too lazy to bother. And if so, why would someone be so unmotivated to hang out with their so-called 'friends?'

·
Registered
652 Posts
Welcome :)

·
Not Updating
139 Posts
If you truly want to stay an introvert and are still able seek out friendships I encourage you to seek out friends who are more of the introvert type like yourself while you still have any social skills left. But to become a recluse doesn't sound like much fun in the long run and isn't mentally healthy.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi

I'm sorry you're feeling awkward about hanging out with friends. I get lonely but I don't want my friends to know how bad I feel, so I sit and watch youtube until I'm exhausted.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you so much. And that's exactly what I do when they stress me so much with their demands and I feel miserable about my fear of being lonely and I'm so paralyzed that I'm stuck on Netflix all weekend. I enjoy spending time by myself, this weekend I had planned out all the things I wanted to do - music lessons, go to the museum etc. But my friends wanted to go for a party or watch the World Cup and I hate soccer, but they just dismissed me and said I was "weird and antisocial" (but I'm so unmotivated to hang out with them).

·
Registered
154,235 Posts
Welcome, Yourichi! :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
I feel the same way and spend way too much time on youtube and netfix. At work around my workmates I can chat but not to everyone, I get scared of being to close to people incase they see I am wearing a mask so it can get quite lonely.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hey Yourichi.. I can relate. Sounds like your friends could be a little more understanding about you wanting to be home. I think someone mentioned that maybe you could try finding some more introverted friends and I agree. I know I tend to choose people who are more low-key so they match better with my personality. I think that would be a good start. Maybe have a friend come over and watch a movie and then ease yourself into doing something outside the house sometime. Its a start at least. Hope it gets better!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts