Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I am Madison :) I have dealt with social anxiety for quite some time now and I am going to college this fall which means socializing...a lot. I am in need of change and I am glad that I stumbled upon this website because it's awesome to see that I am not the only one dealing with social anxiety. I hope this site helps me with my anxiety and over come it :)

·
+1 Creativity
209 Posts
Hello Madison welcome to the forums :) I've been in college for 3 years now I remember dreading the anticipation of more socializing... but the most socializing I really do is if the professor assigns a group project, and since everyone is a stranger in class it can be quite daunting... though I can say that most people in college are very friendly, nice, and well educated so there shouldn't be anything to dread from them :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you!

This website is really great for giving advice. Thank you for replying! I am dreading college because I know that I want to put myself out there and try new things but that can be a daunting task for a person suffering from social anxiety. I have had the same two best friends for years and as they come out of their shell and find new friends I am sitting here in my room alone fearing meeting new people.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Welcome to SAS, ML. When you arrive at college this coming fall, you'll find that EVERYONE is a bit nervous (some may hide it well but they are). This is best time to put yourself out there as everyone is trying to find their place in the school. Allow me to make a list
1. If you have a roommate(s), plan some date and time to eat out a restaurant. These things tend to loosen you and your mates up to get to know each other
2. Visit other dorm rooms around you. This is a bit daunting for SAers, but everyone wants to meet you. Put on your best smile, Say "Hi my name is Madison, and I live at [whatever you dorm is]", and the conversation tends to pick up from there.
3. Leave your door open whenever you're in the room. Obviously, it's inviting for others to visit you when your door is open
4. NEVER turn down an invitation to hangout or go to party. I know the shock of being invited anywhere by anyone may overwhelm you, but you gotta go with it.
5. Join some clubs but not too many. What are you interest? Is their a club for that? If not, create one. You're going to college, and you're bound to meet people with similar hobbies/interest

What I personally like to do is go for walks. Walking around somewhere is kinda like my outlet to release my stress. Also, if you find that you didn't make any friends or acquaintances during your freshman year, don't feel like you've blown any chances of making any at that school forever. In many cases, friendships take more than a year to develop. I wish you the best of luck this coming, and don't let this stress prevent you from having some fun this summer!

·
Registered
154,234 Posts
Welcome, MadisonLee! :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts