Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm only turning 22 and I already dread birthdays like I'm getting so old or something. I know I'm not but I can't help feeling this way. Aren't we supposed to start dreading birthdays when we hit 50 or something?

·
Registered
236 Posts
I'm only turning 22 and I already dread birthdays like I'm getting so old or something. I know I'm not but I can't help feeling this way. Aren't we supposed to start dreading birthdays when we hit 50 or something?
I feel the same way!
I just turned 21 three days ago and I feel so...old.
I don't know why.
Also, I feel like I'm wasting my life. I hate birthdays.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Is the dread maybe to do with the fact that a birthday marks yet another year over - but you feel you have accomplished nothing and all that year has been wasted? That time is going by and you can't live up to it?
That's how I felt and I never told anyone when my birthday was as I felt so wretched about life going past while I did nothing and had nothing.

But after reading a self help book ( I used to jeer at the thought of these) Heal Your Life by Louise Hayes I found that I could let go most of the self hatred and doubts that had been with me ever since I could remember. It helped so much with giving me a sense of self worth.

That and following my instincts in moving to a new location and then finding a part time job which led to full time work has seen my life change so much for the better.

I still have anxiety and depression but I can deal with it. I even went to university and gained my degree while working part time, it was hellish at times but I did it. You just have to believe you can do it and make yourself take the first step - and then keep doing it.

Birthdays don't worry me now, I feel I have accomplished what I wanted to do and I am proud of myself for coming through. OK a bit the worse for wear and tear and I do have bad times and fall to pieces but there are the good days to balance those bad times out. :D

·
Registered
111 Posts
Wait until you hit your late 20s, then it will really hit you. I'm about to hit the big one 30 in November and I can't believe how fast time went by. It gets faster the older you get.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I feel the exact same way. I think its because I feel like I'm not accomplishing anything. I constantly miss out on so much in life because of anxiety. I get to celebrate my next one in about 3 weeks. oh joy

·
Done with SA
1,818 Posts
Same here. Will be turning 22 at the end of the year and I always dread my birthday. It's like another year passed where I was alone, another year passed when I didn't make much progress, another year getting older and when you get older it's harder to make friends, and so on and so forth.
No one makes a big deal out of my birthday, though, so that doesn't bother me. I actually wish someone would say something on my birthdays. Or better, I wish I had some friends to spend it with.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Is the dread maybe to do with the fact that a birthday marks yet another year over - but you feel you have accomplished nothing and all that year has been wasted? That time is going by and you can't live up to it?
That's how I felt and I never told anyone when my birthday was as I felt so wretched about life going past while I did nothing and had nothing.

But after reading a self help book ( I used to jeer at the thought of these) Heal Your Life by Louise Hayes I found that I could let go most of the self hatred and doubts that had been with me ever since I could remember. It helped so much with giving me a sense of self worth.

That and following my instincts in moving to a new location and then finding a part time job which led to full time work has seen my life change so much for the better.

I still have anxiety and depression but I can deal with it. I even went to university and gained my degree while working part time, it was hellish at times but I did it. You just have to believe you can do it and make yourself take the first step - and then keep doing it.

Birthdays don't worry me now, I feel I have accomplished what I wanted to do and I am proud of myself for coming through. OK a bit the worse for wear and tear and I do have bad times and fall to pieces but there are the good days to balance those bad times out. :D
thanks for the advice. I will have to check out that book!

·
Registered
298 Posts
Turning 23 in about two weeks. I started saying that I was "almost 23" a few months back. Not looking forward to it. Just a reminder of how many years I've wasted.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts