Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I sked in another thread but noone answered. Ever since I took Paxil I have suffered annorgasmia despite being off it for years. Take me forever to "go" and sometimes I can't at all. My sex drive is there, just really hard to get off. Is there any way to reverse this or help it with medication? Before Paxil I never had this problem. I wish I could sue their asses, never would have taken it if I knew I woulda suffered permanent problems like this

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
42 views and no answers :( noone ever answers my threads lol do I have the plague? I guess this being a SA forum maybe everyone's too shy Lol

·
Guided By Voices
2,396 Posts
If you have been off of it for years, than go see a doctor. You'll have a million pity stories on here but maybe no truthful answer. Talk to experts/counselors/docs/pdocs to get an answer. And factor in believable anecdotal reports.

·
MD & PharmD
29 Posts

·
Guided By Voices
2,396 Posts
By saying there is no cure and saying you have "something wrong" is not true. Worse yet, that there is no cure. Don't buy into that hopelessness, There are plenty of people that will help you.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you have been off of it for years, than go see a doctor. You'll have a million pity stories on here but maybe no truthful answer. Talk to experts/counselors/docs/pdocs to get an answer. And factor in believable anecdotal reports.
Honestly man. I've given up on doctors, the amount of stupidity and lack of knowledge I have seen in doctors and therapists I have has completely turned me off of them. I have had more success researching on my own and talking to people on forums like this. My last bout with an ssri and a psychiatrist, during the initial starting period where I had dialated pupils increased anxiety ect. She told me it was cause I wasnt breathing deep enough and it was causing my body to not metabolize the medication properly lol. Then when I switched doctors and explained my lack of results from from typical medications and asked if I could try a different type of anti-d he told me no there too dangerous but that there's a new ssri that's way better with zero side effects(lol) then proceeded to take out a pen with the brand of ssri he was trying to prescribe on it, wrote a script and gave me a couple trial boxes he obviously got from a drug rep. It was like one big sales pitch, so I think I'll still with my own research, asking questions on forums like this and self medication. I'm alredy finding answers to the question of anorgasmia doing research, jst figured I would drop the question on here

·
Guided By Voices
2,396 Posts
^^^

All I can say is "true that". When someone opens up and is fundamentally honest and openly non-judgmental. That is someone to listen to!!!

It's really a breathe of fresh air!!!

·
MD & PharmD
29 Posts
There are plenty of people that will help you.
You don't understand. Unfortunately, there actually aren't many people that can help. This condition isn't well known or even officially recognized by the medical community yet. I would conservatively estimate that 98% of physicians have never even heard the term "Post SSRI Sexual Dysfunction", and the majority of those who hear about it for the 1st time refuse to acknowledge it.

There is a good group of researchers/physicians in Mass. that have spearheaded the cause of making people aware of this. Dr. Goldstein in San Diego, whose been doing research in sex medicine forever, is another physician that probably knows a lot about PSSD.

If you go to your GP for help, come armed with case reports from the medical literature and demand that something be done. If all physical exams/labs come back fine, then do your research on what you would like to do next. Some people have been trying out herbals, other prescription drugs, but nothing has fixed this condition yet.

·
Guided By Voices
2,396 Posts
I would like to see the actual numbers that you state. You can talk all you want. If you proclaim these numbers than I want a link to your supposed claims!!!

It's very easy to throw out random facts without backing them up!!!

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
He did say estimate. From the hours I have spent reading on the subject I would guess he's at least somewhat accurate. Also I have brought this up to 3 different doctors/therapists and they all pretty much told me I was full of **** in their own way. Which is odd cause from what I have read its not that uncommon. Amantadine and also yohimbe has showed promise in correcting the issue. So far the only thing that has helped me is opiate withdrawal lol.

·
MD & PharmD
29 Posts
I would like to see the actual numbers that you state. You can talk all you want. If you proclaim these numbers than I want a link to your supposed claims!!!

It's very easy to throw out random facts without backing them up!!!
I never stated there are "numbers" to support my claim. If you actually took the time to read my post vs. pointlessly becoming defensive, it said that "I would conservatively estimate". I am talking from my own experience in the medical field. You can conduct your own survey because thats the only way you are going to find any statistics on the matter; there simply aren't any.

You can get an gist of what I am talking about by just searching the medical literature lets try Pubmed, boasting over 21 million citations:

PSSD hits = 0
Post SSRI Sexual Dysfunction = 0

No even better, search the internet about this condition, and see how many hits you get.

I just googled: "PSSD""Sexual""SSRI"
56,000 hits, almost all of them are USER reported, forum posts, blogs etc. NO MEDICAL REFERENCES WHATSOEVER.

Next you could talk to people who have been to see a doctor about this condition. They will all virtually say that their prescriber has NEVER heard about this.

·
The Power Of Nature
6,010 Posts
I beleive maca, buspar and mirtazepine have been found effective, mirtazepine is a mod mostly for shizophrenia related disorder or melancholic depression wich has 5HT2A overexpression as one of the things behind it, it can make atypical depression worse wich has hypoexpression of 5HT2A as one of the big players.

·
Going to war
3,928 Posts
This is what i found too be effective for PSSD 1-2 cup's of coffee in morning 1-2 cup's of wine at night and marijuana they all got aphrodisiac properties too them first 2 are easy too come by,

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the help guys. I tried Buspar and it did raise my sex drive but I don't have a problem with sex drive. I have access to yohimbe which has shown promise in anorgasmia but it can increase anxiety. Noones got any info on Amantadine? It's being researched for anorgasmia, seems to be an uncommon med though, I have access to every med possible pretty much but can't seem to find this one

·
Registered
7 Posts
Mirtazapine causes sexual dysfunction as well. Your only valid option is Wellbutrin I'm afraid.
Mirtazapine causes sexual dysfunction? I've been on it for 10 years, the last year I've been having sexual dysfunction, weak orgasms, low sensitivity etc. I thought I had these problems because I tried Fluoxetine and Effexor back in February/Mars.

Perhaps it's time to flush out Mirtazapine and see if it helps. Would like to try Wellbutrin, but I'm afraid it will make my anxiety much worse.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Mirtazapine causes sexual dysfunction? I've been on it for 10 years, the last year I've been having sexual dysfunction, weak orgasms, low sensitivity etc. I thought I had these problems because I tried Fluoxetine and Effexor back in February/Mars.

Perhaps it's time to flush out Mirtazapine and see if it helps. Would like to try Wellbutrin, but I'm afraid it will make my anxiety much worse.
Unfortunately Wellbutrin can increase anxiety in a lot of people including myself. I don't feel it's a very good anti-d for people who experience a lot of anxiety. However I heard its good in combination with
An ssri, although I will NEVER touch an ssri again. I did take benzo's occasional with the Wellbutrin though and when I did that I felt great, but I don't wanna head down the benzo path. I wonder how Wellbutrin would work with low dose solian, hmm.. Might have to try

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
I sked in another thread but noone answered. Ever since I took Paxil I have suffered annorgasmia despite being off it for years. Take me forever to "go" and sometimes I can't at all. My sex drive is there, just really hard to get off. Is there any way to reverse this or help it with medication? Before Paxil I never had this problem. I wish I could sue their asses, never would have taken it if I knew I woulda suffered permanent problems like this
Yeah, same story with me. Luckily it's not that bad though and the drive is still 100%. I actually made a thread about this same thing with paxil about a month or two ago. I found some sources that showed the percentages of the side effects of paxil and this was the most common one! ... particulary the "upon discontinuation" side effects, which is kind of scary because you never know if they will go away.

EDIT: by the way, I remember reading that it is caused by a change in your DNA due to paxil, so I don't think anything can cure the actual problem (def. not arginine or yohimbine) but they may help in other ways. The only hope is that eventually you return to normal with time, it could take a year, it could take a few years, and it may never happen. Damn paxil

·
Registered
7 Posts
Unfortunately Wellbutrin can increase anxiety in a lot of people including myself. I don't feel it's a very good anti-d for people who experience a lot of anxiety. However I heard its good in combination with
An ssri, although I will NEVER touch an ssri again. I did take benzo's occasional with the Wellbutrin though and when I did that I felt great, but I don't wanna head down the benzo path. I wonder how Wellbutrin would work with low dose solian, hmm.. Might have to try
Ok, but did Wellbutrin help you with the PSSD symptoms? What is Solian?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts