Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

As some know, I battle anxiety from my over-active nerves. That is, my sweating and nervousness is what triggers further anxiety. I found KPIN to be helpful at .25MG-1MG a week. I've been on this dosage for about a year.

Recently, I checked in w/ my PSYCHIATRIST to go over my condition. I asked for some Propanolol and he prescribed me some.

Right now, my typical week would be to take .50MG of KPIN and supplement w/ .25MG if needed.

I was hoping to reduce my Benzo intake, or eventually rely on Propanolol for a bit. Anybody can shed some light or input? Has Propanolol really helped w/ the physical symptoms? I was prescribed 10MG.

I can't say that I haven't been changed by the Benzos, but feel like my low dosage shows that I have not abused it. I do feel withdrawals at times, and I've been trying to fight my drinking problem.

Thanks.

- - - -

11/22/11 Update.

The 10mg / work day is helping me a lot. I've been off of benzos for 2 weeks, and I realize that my rebound anxiety is primarily related to the benzos. I feel a lot better that the propanolol has helped me. I haven't had a sweating panic attacking in a while, as I am actually controlling my sweating which is the primary trigger.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
Do you know of the 1/2 life of propanolol? I mostly plan to use it for work.
Duration of action is longer than it's half life:

Propranolol is rapidly and completely absorbed, with peak plasma levels achieved approximately 1-3 hours after ingestion. Co-administration with food appears to enhance bioavailability. Despite complete absorption, propranolol has a variable bioavailability due to extensive first-pass metabolism. Hepatic impairment will therefore increase its bioavailability. The main metabolite 4-hydroxypropranolol, with a longer half-life (5.2-7.5 hours) than the parent compound (3-4 hours), is also pharmacologically active.
Propranolol is a highly lipophilic drug achieving high concentrations in the brain. The duration of action of a single oral dose is longer than the half-life and may be up to 12 hours, if the single dose is high enough (e.g., 80 mg). Effective plasma concentrations are between 10-100 ng/mL.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Propranolol#Pharmacokinetics

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Duration of action is longer than it's half life:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Propranolol#Pharmacokinetics
Thanks. do you mean at 10MG, it will last me for the whole day?

My last .50MG KPIN was MONDAY, and since I have not taken any supplement KPIN and took 10MG of PROPANOLOL. I somehow felt like it was working for me, but I still faced a bit anxiety.

Although I didn't feel the physical anxiety aspect.

I'm going to try going on propanolol. Would it be better if I just saved the KPIN for mega needs? Any long term concersn?

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
Reactions: Drew

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks. I've been reading about how BETA BLOCKERS might be a better medication than Benzos in terms of facing withdrawals and what not. I figured if Propanolol is safer, I'd go with it more often instead.

I haven't been able to google w/ success about propanolol for anxiety and its effect/aftermath.

-Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am now 2+ weeks off of my KPIN dosage. I noticed my resilience to be a lot stronger off the BENZOs, and found that the 5-10MG a day of PROPANOLOL works.

I plan on going w/ the propanolol for a while as I've found success in it. The only thing is that I must take propanolol b4 the event. After that it seems to keep me in normal mode and make me resilient.

Any other input would be good.

I plan on just taking 10MG for 5 days a week, and be off of it on weekends. I might save the BENZO for just once or twice a month in extreme situations. but if the beta blockers worker, do you think I should go w/ that instead of the benzos?

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I was about 3 weeks clean from BENZOs, but took a .25MG today.. Am I being too harsh on myself?

For some reason, I was just super anxious. I had 10MG of PROPANOLOL in me on a Friday... Sigh.......

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I took about .50MG this week due to some social event, but the good news is, my intake of benzos are getting very very situational. I might try to go for a shorter acting benzo along w/ the propanlolol.

·
Guided By Voices
2,396 Posts
How do you not build tolerance to your klon?
By not taking it except strictly on a prn. 1-3 x a week max, and on a low dose of .5mg dose. But that's you and your pdocs call. Some take 1mg, prn for years and it works well. Also,if you increase how often you use it and start taking it more often; Those are warning signs of tolerance and addictive traits. Also do not take benzos at all, if you have an addictive personality. That includes any physiological addictive substance (alcohol,opiates etc.).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts