Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
4,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do any of you use 'like' or 'um', which are pretty much hated by everyone, when speaking? What about things like phrasing your sentences as questions to come off less demanding? Do you ever say things like 'you know?' at the end of sentences because getting agreement makes you feel better? Or any other annoying speaking habits?

Any advice on training away those habits? It's hard during conversation because you can't really pay attention to what you're doing, I'm lucky if I even get a correct sentence out.

·
Spirit of Vengeance
5,301 Posts
I sometimes say "uh" a little more than I'd like when either thinking of something to say or in some general conversations. I had to consciously stop myself from doing it whenever I could.

When I order something in a drive thru I usually way "uhh" or "um" at least a couple of times if order more than one thing.

·
Chlorine and Wine
12,104 Posts
I always hated doing those habits, so I just stopped and been silent, which might be worse. Sitting there showing no reaction...

Well, I do tend to make a sort of unspoken um, an mmm every time before I speak now and I haven't figured out how to get rid of it.

I think the normal filler things people do require attention and conditioning.

·
Spirit of Vengeance
5,301 Posts

·
Realistic
657 Posts
I say 'Uhhh' a lot *cough* I cough a lot when I converse. Also I have this annoying thing where when I reply yes or no I also say them twice or even thrice. 'Yes ' 'yes' in a blank way not like 'yes, yes' with enthusiasm but it's just keep repeated it in a dull manner. Like " do you want more coffee?" ..." No, no,no"

·
Registered
275 Posts
I forced myself to stop saying "like" and "um" by taking a few seconds in silence to articulate what I want to say. If the other person starts talking, I'll tell them to hold on, or put a hand up if it's someone I know. I do it during presentations too, but I'd rather have a well articulated point, albeit slowly, than litter my speech with fillers like "um" and "like."

·
Registered
261 Posts
Not exactly like that but I think I talk to softly. Sometimes I'll try to say hi to somebody i just walk past on the street but it comes out so quiet I think that they either didn't hear it or they did and are wondering what's wrong with the way I talk.

·
still delicious
3,038 Posts
My annoying speaking habit is that I open my mouth at all. I don't have trouble with word fillers like um or uh, but I always feel like I'm saying something that'll remind me how much of a fool I sound like. I'm right most times.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Not exactly like that but I think I talk to softly. Sometimes I'll try to say hi to somebody i just walk past on the street but it comes out so quiet I think that they either didn't hear it or they did and are wondering what's wrong with the way I talk.
This! I see someone and tell myself "Say hi to them" then it comes out too softly and they continue past me as if I didn't say anything.

·
o.o?
14 Posts
I do this every time when I speak. I even hesitate often which it really annoys me as well and I ended up mumbling or just being quiet at most times.

·
^ Smells like teen spirit
996 Posts
Do any of you use 'like' or 'um', which are pretty much hated by everyone, when speaking? What about things like phrasing your sentences as questions to come off less demanding? Do you ever say things like 'you know?' at the end of sentences because getting agreement makes you feel better? Or any other annoying speaking habits?

Any advice on training away those habits? It's hard during conversation because you can't really pay attention to what you're doing, I'm lucky if I even get a correct sentence out.
Yes everything is annoying about me speaking, plus I almost always forget words completely and have to spend 5 mins saying 'um er what is it? ummm errr' and then trying to explain the meaning of the word etc, oh and I slur words and many other issues, maybe all of them.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts