Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
finished uni!
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wasn't sure where to post this...I find the authors' views somewhat naive and downright wrong with regards to SA...

I agree that drug-companies are cashing in on SA and other related illnesses, but to say that SA is made up is wrong and dangerous (clearly the author hasn't suffered the dibilitating effects of SA himself!)

Links: http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/columnists/guest_contributors/article5607237.ece

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/health/features/article500205.ece

·
Registered
303 Posts
That article was profoundly stupid, the author doesn't even offer any evidence or research to back up his claim.

I, like many others on this website, was crippled by the symptoms as a child, before I ever heard about general/social anxiety disorders.

What's really funny is look at the bottom of the article, it says:
"John Naish is the author of The Hypochondriac's Handbook"

Hypochondria is often liked with anxiety disorders.

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
It's a UK article, but consider the US experience:

Social phobia enters the DSM in 1981.

The FDA approves Paxil as the first drug to treat Social Anxiety Disorder in early 2000. This means that 9 years passed between official recognition by the American psychiatric community of this as being a legitimate and distinct disorder deserving its own listing (300.23) and a drug company getting it's pill approved to treat it. Way back in 1981 when it got official recognition there weren't even any SSRIs on the market! SSRIs didn't hit the market till 1988 with the introduction of Prozac, so it took a while for drug companies to jump on the SA bandwagon.

They didn't invent social phobia -- they decided to take their pills and go after a disorder that already existed before their pills did.

When I was a kid I was simply deemed shy and I even use it in my screen name. But SA go way past shy, as my name suggest. It's like OCD could be UltraClean, washing your hands 500 times a day till they bleed (for a very stereotyped example). I've always been way past shy. I had no friends, was unable to have relationships, was unable to work and all before I heard of this thing called SA 9 years ago. Gee, the problem existed even before they told me what the problem was. Huh, maybe the problem is real and the reporter is a brain dead moron. Sadly, there doesn't seem to be a cure for stupidity.

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
They let you leave comments there on the article. I left mine. They don't appear immediately -- probably because they know folks will tell them to go F' Off or whatever swear word Brits use.

All of you should leave comments and tell them how wrong they are. Or perhaps the author can count on how folks with SA bring to shy to tell him how wrong he is. We're such a great choice to attack as we're too shy to speak up.

·
unashamed perv
1,786 Posts
All of you should leave comments and tell them how wrong they are.
^this

I left mine. Sadly, this kind of thing seems to be trendy in the UK at the moment - I heard a program on Radio 4 about the "medicalisation of normality" in which they actually tried to argue that there was a positive side to depression. Gah.

·
Registered
794 Posts
I sent a very long complaint email to their customer services department.

·
unashamed perv
1,786 Posts
Hm, the comment I left hasn't appeared, and I don't think yours has, either, Ultrashy. Come on everyone, let's write to the Times and politely put them straight!

Edit: I'm a twit, my comment and Karl Ultrashy's are both there. Even so, we should still keep on at the Times for printing such a stupid, ill-thought out and damaging article.

·
finished uni!
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hm, the comment I left hasn't appeared, and I don't think yours has, either, Ultrashy. Come on everyone, let's write to the Times and politely put them straight!

Edit: I'm a twit, my comment and Karl Ultrashy's are both there. Even so, we should still keep on at the Times for printing such a stupid, ill-thought out and damaging article.
I agree...they can't get away with this!

The problem is that you really can medicalize just about anything. And that's why it's so dangerous (because you lose the ability to distinguish between fake ailments (and some of them definitely do sound fake!) and ones that are genuine, such as SA).

NB: I think you should all write a complaint email directly to their editor or customer services or whomever's in charge of publishing this article.

·
Registered
794 Posts
My fiance saw it over my shoulder and is fuming, so is currently writing a complaint email as we speak.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts