Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Bomb Diggity
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there.

What's your FAVORITE anime and what would you recommend?

Mine is Elfen Lied, Eureka 7, and Bleach. I'm thinking about watching Ergo Proxy..:|

·
Registered
230 Posts
12 Kingdoms (aka Juuni Kokki) is the best series I've ever seen. Slow start though. Is based on a series of japanese novels.

Ergo Proxy tried way too hard to be deeply interesting...

If you're looking for something more recent Eden of the East is great so far.

·
In a deep deep hole
400 Posts
i started watching cowboy bebop again yesterday because i enjoyed so much the first time around. one question about 12 kingdoms circular thinking, i was asking my brother about it he says its good to, but they never finished it, kinda makes me not want to watch it if it doesn't end properly , is this true? i couldn't really find any info

·
Confused
735 Posts
Serial Experiments Lain is very good. Elfen lied shocked me with its violence, but is still an excellent series. I didn't enjoy Ergo Proxy too much (not saying it wasn't good, just that I didn't enjoy the 'mood' of the series.) But my favorite of all time has to be Cowboy Bebop, as it is completely unique and authentic and is just an overall excellent series. Neon Genisis Evangelion is also a quality anime. The only part of Bleach that I enjoy is the interactions with the espada (there are too many fillers and boring episodes for me to give it a good rating, imo).

Ergo Proxy tried way too hard to be deeply interesting...
Yeah, I got that exact feeling when watching the show, it's kind of off-putting at times.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
I like old school anime (anything before the 1930's. everything after that is not as good). Nihon-ichi Momotarô (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0163767/) is my favorite.

I see that you're into Nu-Anime. The most recent one that I know about (that is good) is To-y. I think it came out in the mid-eighties. It's pretty good, you should check it out.
There was anime in the thirties? There was barely tv in the thirties. Can you post some?

·
Registered
230 Posts
i started watching cowboy bebop again yesterday because i enjoyed so much the first time around. one question about 12 kingdoms circular thinking, i was asking my brother about it he says its good to, but they never finished it, kinda makes me not want to watch it if it doesn't end properly , is this true? i couldn't really find any info
It's true :(

Like any novel to film adaptation though it has story arcs and most of them are covered in the anime series (4 out of 6 books, basically) The books are all being translated to english but at an abysmally slow pace of one per year... Which puts the series at completion in 2012

Still even without a definitive end, most of the story arcs have good closure and it's still the best I've ever seen.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Sure. When I get home I'll upload some on youtube.

Yes, TVs didn't come out until the mid 30's (I think). I'm talking about movies.
That would be interesting to see, the first professional anime was The Story of the Concierge Mukuzo Imokawa made in 1917, they've found anime even earlier than that but it wasn't intended for public viewing. I wouldn't really consider it anime though the first anime style film was Momotaro's Divine Sea Warriors released in the 40's which inspired Astro boy in the 50's and 60's which is considered the true originator of anime as that is where the style of today came from. I get a big kick out of the fact that the "exotic" anime we know today was all inspired by U.S. Disney cartoons.

Ahem and that ends anime history 101 for today... :b

·
beech plees
1,290 Posts
I heard the violent shounen manga series DOGS by Miwa Shirow is going to be out this summer. For anyone unacquainted with it it's got excellent art and paneling...very stylish sort of series. If they do it right I have high hopes for the production.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I heard the violent shounen manga series DOGS by Miwa Shirow is going to be out this summer. For anyone unacquainted with it it's got excellent art and paneling...very stylish sort of series. If they do it right I have high hopes for the production.
Dogs is easily one of the most beautifully illustrated manga series running in my opinion. Not a whole lot of story to speak of yet but looks promising.

The first two episodes are already out in Japan and have been fansubbed. Apparently it's only going to be 4 episodes long :/ I think they'll probably serialize it once the manga is further along.

·
Registered
690 Posts
I love anime and was thinking of watching Gurran Langun. But I'm more into manga then anime for some reason.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I will say that my all-time favourite would be Dragon Ball Z. As much as the dubbed Funimation version is denigrated, it did get me into anime.

Personally I would recommend The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya from what I have watched recently.

·
SAS Member
14,412 Posts
Berserk is a good one, but to get the full story you'll need to read the manga.

Ninja Scroll is good too, so is trigun and samurai shamploo.
humm, what else...

Ghost in the shell: Innocence
Metropolis
Perfectblue
Princess mononoke
Akira
Castle in the Sky
Harlock Saga
Afro Samurai
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure
The Vision of Escaflowne

·
Banned
3,608 Posts
another Anime thread !?
No such thing as too many :)

My favorites:

Rurouni Kenshin
Fullmetal Alchemist
Naruto
Inuyasha
Death Note

Some other good series would be Sakura Cardcaptors, Kaleido Star, Gunslinger Girl, Dragonball Z, Wolf's Rain, Lunar Legend Tsukihime, Otogi Zoshi.

Favorite Anime Movies:
Millenium Actress
Inuyasha 3: Swords of an Honorable Ruler
Samurai X: Trust and Betrayal
Spirited Away
Kakurenbo: Hide and Seek

·
Registered
330 Posts
Some of my all-time favorites are:

-Neon Genesis Evangelion
-Battle Athletes Victory
-Ghost in the Shell: SAC and 2nd GIG
-Rurouni Kenshin
-Bleach
-Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
-Code Geass
-Death Note
-Naruto
-Dragon Ball Z

As far as anime movies go, I like:

-Whisper of the Heart
-My Neighbor Totoro
-Howl's Moving Castle
-Ghost in the Shell
-Kiki's Delivery Service

·
Registered
52 Posts
But I'm more into manga then anime for some reason.
Same here. More variety, gotta say. As for my anime favorites:

Cowboy Bebop. The number one spot will always belong to this series.
Samurai Champloo. Badass, that should sum it up.
Hellsing. One of the only things with vampires that I can tolerate.
FLCL. A+ for weirdness.
Michiko to Hatchin. I've yet to watch all of the episodes, but it's pretty tops.
Azumanga Daioh: The Animation . Simple hilarity.
Saiyuki. Solely for Sanzo. Badass priests make the world go round.
Tales of (so and so, insert varying title here). Deserves a spot since I tend to enjoy the games so much. I still need to finish up the Tales of Abyss anime, though.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts