Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody have anger issues? I was just wondering if people with social anxiety are more likely to get anger issues? Because I have a very difficult time expressing my anger. My family does not allow me to express anger so I seem to do it in other unhealthy ways, like ranting about it on facebook or online. And If I don't do that I usually end up breaking something or self injuring. :| So yeah... I guess if anybody else has this problem or has any tips it'd be greatly appreciated.

·
Banned
5,875 Posts
Expressing my anger has always been a problem for me. My dad has severe anger management problems, any little thing will send him into a fury. I have a temper as well, but in a different form. Most things won't make me angry, in fact most people would say I'm a very calm person. But in the rare event I do get mad, I don't just get angry, I get really pissed. This could be because I bottle up my emotions most of the time, actually it likely is. Expressing any emotion is hard for me, but particularly anger. I'm mainly afraid that my feelings will be met with indifference or hostility, in which case I would get even more and more upset until god knows what happens.

I'm not sure what advice I can give you. I will say that your family is wrong for not allowing you to vent you anger. Have you ever sat down with them in a calm atmosphere and talked about it?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Expressing my anger has always been a problem for me. My dad has severe anger management problems, any little thing will send him into a fury. I have a temper as well, but in a different form. Most things won't make me angry, in fact most people would say I'm a very calm person. But in the rare event I do get mad, I don't just get angry, I get really pissed. This could be because I bottle up my emotions most of the time, actually it likely is. Expressing any emotion is hard for me, but particularly anger. I'm mainly afraid that my feelings will be met with indifference or hostility, in which case I would get even more and more upset until god knows what happens.

I'm not sure what advice I can give you. I will say that your family is wrong for not allowing you to vent you anger. Have you ever sat down with them in a calm atmosphere and talked about it?
Thanks for the reply :)
And yes I've tried to talk to them about it. My mom will allow me to talk and express what I feel, However my dad is a different story. Like your dad, he has major problems with anger (probably where I got this from). He thinks it's rediculous and laughs at that fact.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have finally realized that when I begin to get anxious I start to get angry. I have cleared dressers, threw a brand new laptop against the wall and then some. My Dad had huge anger problems and was bi-polar. I finally noticed this the other day when my boyfriend started to complain about my daughter, my heart started pounding and i was shaking, then i realized it was anxiety and that it manifests to the anger. I can get WAY angry without the anxiety right before but I have found with watching myself as I get stressed and looking back at the situation it is anxiety turning to anger

·
Banned
12,147 Posts
I've found ways to melt my anger away. I used to have almost uncontrollable anger when I was a teen. If I was mad about something, everyone around me knew it.

I tend to listen to music or sleep or something when I get upset now. It does work. For me at least. I just have to get my mind off of whatever it is for long enough so that the initial rage fades.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts